P3 or P3v2.0?

Reaction score
Hey Gents,

Just a general discussion point here... Is everyone diving right into the P3 or waiting for a potentially bug-fixed 2.0 version similar to the P2. I do realize this is more of a preference thing but didnt know if anyone thought it would be best practice to wait a few extra months?

Unrelated: Is the App video range supposed to be the same as the craft remote range?

Signal is almost equal, most times I lost video with the Inspie1, sometimes I still had video but lost rc for a few seconds....

Ugh I waited for the q500+ and waited...saw it was not what I needed...if I don't do something now I will never have one. So I jumped

I am quiet certain that P3V2 will come next spring, so, if you got good gear now just wait.

Next upgrade will be about Inspire 1, mayby Inspire 1+/2 with new propulsion system E1200.

Wait for the bug fixes? Assurances of safety? I guess it depends on your age and point of view. For me, life is too short to wait for such things. I pre ordered almost immediately and have checked my account almost daily. When, after 1 week, the money was withdrawn I thought, 'Yes, things are happening, the process of ownership is finally beginning!'

I am preparing already for the new bird's arrival, repeatedly reading the downloaded Inspire manual to familiarise myself as much as possible with the changes I expect to encounter. The P3 isn't an Inspire, but the new build is close to it, so much of the information is relevant.

When the P3 arrives, I shall download and install any updates that are required, run through all the advised pre flight safety checks, then check everything again, just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Then, heart beating just a little bit faster than normal, I shall take off and fly, cautiously to begin with, then with more confidence, but with my senses tuned to pick up any unfamiliar anomalies in handling and response. For me, all that can't come soon enough. I want my new bird yesterday!

I'll second everything you said there greyfox. Glad I'm not the only one reading and reading looking at stuff with excitement.

Dont get me wrong, I am all exicted about the specs of Phantom 3 but there seems to be some issues.

Like jello-effect and arm wobble that might be fixed or might not be fixed. If they are still at first version, there is no really easy way to fix them. DJI isnt really they company that is known for good customer care.

Jello is a recurrent problem, raised often in threads, and just as often fixed. I currently fly a P2V and jello isn't something I have been particularly aware of to date, with the footage I record being more than acceptable for my limited requirements.

The arm wobble you mention is something I haven't heard of before, but with the construction material and shell of the P3 being similar if not identical to that of previous Phantoms, I am surprised it hasn't been evident before. Or maybe it has, and I just wasn't aware of it.

P3 got more powerful motors but shell is the same. So, more power, more torque means more strain to arms. P2V+V3 almos none jello effect, non-dji material of P3 got some weird jello effect. Mayby it is caused by arm wobble, I dont know.

Here is the video with jello:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Arm wobble:

P3 got more powerful motors but shell is the same. So, more power, more torque means more strain to arms. P2V+V3 almos none jello effect, non-dji material of P3 got some weird jello effect. Mayby it is caused by arm wobble, I dont know.

Here is the video with jello:

Arm wobble:

Firstly I doubt the first video is genuine, I commented when I first saw this on another thread, Philip Bloom is a professional film maker and I'm almost positive, based on some of his other videos I've seen, he would not publish something showing such poor quality even if it was genuine P3 footage, which again I doubt it is.

Secondly I'm very green when it comes to flying RC but have an engineering background and usually when you see something flex its not always a bad thing as it can act as a shock absorber. My thoughts are if an arm is flexing it is designed that way. Just my opinion, maybe some one can tell me why this is not the case.

Philip Bloom video is genuine. It was posted as raw 4K video and someone made it to youtube.

If you are in engineering you know that that kinda flexin causes fatigue to material and that is bad thing.

"Fatigue occurs when a material is subjected to repeated loading and unloading. If the loads are above a certain threshold, microscopic cracks will begin to form at the stress concentrators such as the surface, persistent slip bands (PSBs), and grain interfaces.[1] Eventually a crack will reach a critical size, the crack will propagate suddenly, and the structure will fracture. The shape of the structure will significantly affect the fatigue life; square holes or sharp corners will lead to elevated local stresses where fatigue cracks can initiate. Round holes and smooth transitions or fillets will therefore increase the fatigue strength of the structure."

Wikipedia - Fatigue (material)

Dont get me wrong, I am all excited about the specs of Phantom 3 but there seems to be some issues.

Like jello-effect and arm wobble that might be fixed or might not be fixed.
Or the arm wobble might not exist at all.
It's an illusion that's very hard to see in a piece of slowed down youtube video. It's caused by light and shade.
Phantom arms are quite stiff and easily strong enough to not wobble.
No-one has ever complained about arm wobble in the thousands of Phantoms sold so far and the new motors aren't so powerful that they would make that much difference.
Just another piece of forum rumour/hoax nonsense and not worth paying attention to but threads like this mean it will develop a life of its own despite a complete lack of evidence..

Reactions: Ian H
Or the arm wobble might not exist at all.
It's an illusion that's very hard to see in a piece of slowed down youtube video. It's caused by light and shade.
Phantom arms are quite stiff and easily strong enough to not wobble.
No-one has ever complained about arm wobble in the thousands of Phantoms sold so far and the new motors aren't so powerful that they would make that much difference.
Just another piece of forum rumour/hoax nonsense and not worth paying attention to but threads like this mean it will develop a life of its own despite a complete lack of evidence..

Phantom shell was designed for P1 and since then there has been ~10% increase in weight.

DJI's word was "they are awere of this" and end of dicussion.

Motors are more powerful since P3 is heavier and people are reporting it being more responsive.

If its light and shade, how come knob at top and motor is also moving?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers