P3 or P3v2.0?

Philip Bloom video is genuine. It was posted as raw 4K video and someone made it to youtube.

If you are in engineering you know that that kinda flexin causes fatigue to material and that is bad thing.

"Fatigue occurs when a material is subjected to repeated loading and unloading. If the loads are above a certain threshold, microscopic cracks will begin to form at the stress concentrators such as the surface, persistent slip bands (PSBs), and grain interfaces.[1] Eventually a crack will reach a critical size, the crack will propagate suddenly, and the structure will fracture. The shape of the structure will significantly affect the fatigue life; square holes or sharp corners will lead to elevated local stresses where fatigue cracks can initiate. Round holes and smooth transitions or fillets will therefore increase the fatigue strength of the structure."

Wikipedia - Fatigue (material)
So, have you ever seen a slow motion picture of the wings on a large airliner while in flight. The wings flap like a big birds wing.

Philip Bloom video is genuine. It was posted as raw 4K video and someone made it to youtube.

If you are in engineering you know that that kinda flexin causes fatigue to material and that is bad thing.

"Fatigue occurs when a material is subjected to repeated loading and unloading. If the loads are above a certain threshold, microscopic cracks will begin to form at the stress concentrators such as the surface, persistent slip bands (PSBs), and grain interfaces.[1] Eventually a crack will reach a critical size, the crack will propagate suddenly, and the structure will fracture. The shape of the structure will significantly affect the fatigue life; square holes or sharp corners will lead to elevated local stresses where fatigue cracks can initiate. Round holes and smooth transitions or fillets will therefore increase the fatigue strength of the structure."

If the video is genuine then I stand corrected, I guess until the P3 is on general release and the videos start being uploaded we wont know the true quality of the video/camera.

That statement on fatigue is true but the repeated loading and unloading on something that is rigid is more likely to show signs of fatigue than if it has some flex to absorb and adjust to these loading's imo. Think of an anti vibration rubber mount, as the mount dries out and ages it loses its elasticity and begins to show signs of fatigue and crack.

I said RC or flight is not my thing but it is DJI's and I trust them to get the loading's on there craft calculated correctly. I guess like most of the threads on this forum a lot of us are trying to second guess the P3 strengths and weaknesses. in 6-8 weeks we should have a good idea and hopefully I wont be posting in the ...."My rotor arm fell off" thread.... ;)

While I won't comment on the genuine nature of the video the notion that flex is bad is not a universal engineering philosophy.

Next time you fly commercially, note how much the wings flex in flight. In fact the tips may rise a half meter or more on some models from taxi (static) to flight.

Last edited:
While I won't comment on the genuine nature of the video the notion that flex is bad is not a universal engineering philosophy.

Next time you fly commercially, note how much the wings flex in flight. In fact the tips may rise a half meter or more on some models from taxi (static) to flight.

That video or one similar came to mind but felt since it was stressed to destruction that it didn't enhance my point.

But thanks for posting!!

That video or one similar came to mind but felt since it was stressed to destruction that it didn't enhance my point.

But thanks for posting!!
The phantom does the same thing just a different scale, I'm also an engineer and I agree with your statements above. It all comes down to what the engineer assumed in his design and what the goals were that they set to accomplish. I'm not going to base anything on a pre-production model it's usually not a good indicator of production performance.

Reactions: N017RW
Greyfox, I too am with you and share your excitement! One of the first things to learn will be the different button/controls on the P3 controller but flying should be the same. Also wondering what the programmable buttons/switches are for...

It better be good, just bit the bullet and bought a P3P with extra battery €1500. My impatience got the better of me. It will keep me goingt until the Inspire 2 arrives. Anyone want to buy a P2v3 with 3 batteries, carry back pack, prop guards and car charger :p

Much is explained if you check out the Inspire tutorials on the DJI website. A lot of it is relevant to the new P3.

I found this tutorial particularly useful. Again it is for the Inspire but much of it is in common with the P3 I suspect.

Or the arm wobble might not exist at all.
It's an illusion that's very hard to see in a piece of slowed down youtube video. It's caused by light and shade.
Phantom arms are quite stiff and easily strong enough to not wobble.
No-one has ever complained about arm wobble in the thousands of Phantoms sold so far and the new motors aren't so powerful that they would make that much difference.
Just another piece of forum rumour/hoax nonsense and not worth paying attention to but threads like this mean it will develop a life of its own despite a complete lack of evidence..

I beg to differ, I fly my Phantom 2 multiple times up to 8 hrs a day and I can tell you that one of the arms is almost about to break off and the other 3 are showing serious stress cracks. If the shell has not been reinforced internally I can only imagine how fast this problem will appear on a P3. Here is my post on the problem:

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/stress-cracks-on-all-4-corners-of-p2.38417/

To answer the OP's question, no I do not plan on buying a P3, I've invested too much in GoPro's, custom lenses, custom workflow profiles, etc. If the 3DR Solo didn't have such aweful range the P2 would have been the end of the line for me. As it stands now I'm still waiting for a real competitor to the P series to emerge.

To me that looks like the motor or prop could be way out of balance causing the leg to vibrate from side to side. If so the vibration wouldn’t be good for the body or camera. It’s the same principle if one of your wheels are off balance on your car. You will feel the vibrations coming from the wheel all the way up to your steering wheel.

I sold my P2v+ because I was hoping for a better camera on the P3. This video has got me hoping for a P3 with GP setup. I think I will be waiting until there is a lot more video up to have a look at before buying.

I beg to differ, I fly my Phantom 2 multiple times up to 8 hrs a day and I can tell you that one of the arms is almost about to break off and the other 3 are showing serious stress cracks. If the shell has not been reinforced internally I can only imagine how fast this problem will appear on a P3. Here is my post on the problem:

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/stress-cracks-on-all-4-corners-of-p2.38417/

To answer the OP's question, no I do not plan on buying a P3, I've invested too much in GoPro's, custom lenses, custom workflow profiles, etc. If the 3DR Solo didn't have such aweful range the P2 would have been the end of the line for me. As it stands now I'm still waiting for a real competitor to the P series to emerge.
Hope ya got a long book to read while waiting ! o_O

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl