P3 Full Strip Down and Rebuild (Shell Replacement and Custom Paint) Detailed How-To Videos

Reaction score
I recently crashed my Phantom 3 and ended up having to do a complete shell replacement. Given the magnitude of the work required, I figured I would make a few additional upgrades as well: Custom paint (lower shell), Remote Control HDMI Module Upgrade, and Carbon Fiber Reinforced Propellers. Also, since I was not able to find any YouTube videos or Forum threads that went into the level of detail that I was looking for, I went ahead and created a five-part series on YouTube that walks through the process in detail. I'm guessing that there are others out there who either have or will need to do a full shell replacement at some point so I hope this series will be helpful. Below, is a brief description of each of the five parts along with a link. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Part 1:
- Intro & Parts
- Custom Paint Prep
- RC HDMI Upgrade

Part 2:
- Top Shell Removal
- Gimbal Disassembly
- GPS Detachment

Part 3:
- Disassembly of Lightbridge Antennas, Landing Gears, Compass, Motors, and Main Board

Part 4:
- Disassembly of Battery Cage, Battery Terminal, USB Port, VPS Module
- Transfer to New Shell and Reassembly

Part 5:
- GPS Module Transfer
- Grand Reveal
- Calibration
- Test Flight

I recently crashed my Phantom 3 and ended up having to do a complete shell replacement. Given the magnitude of the work required, I figured I would make a few additional upgrades as well: Custom paint (lower shell), Remote Control HDMI Module Upgrade, and Carbon Fiber Reinforced Propellers. Also, since I was not able to find any YouTube videos or Forum threads that went into the level of detail that I was looking for, I went ahead and created a five-part series on YouTube that walks through the process in detail. I'm guessing that there are others out there who either have or will need to do a full shell replacement at some point so I hope this series will be helpful. Below, is a brief description of each of the five parts along with a link. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Part 1:
- Intro & Parts
- Custom Paint Prep
- RC HDMI Upgrade

Part 2:
- Top Shell Removal
- Gimbal Disassembly
- GPS Detachment

Part 3:
- Disassembly of Lightbridge Antennas, Landing Gears, Compass, Motors, and Main Board

Part 4:
- Disassembly of Battery Cage, Battery Terminal, USB Port, VPS Module
- Transfer to New Shell and Reassembly

Part 5:
- GPS Module Transfer
- Grand Reveal
- Calibration
- Test Flight
That is great information! -- thank you for taking your time and sharing the rebuild -- I have short-cutted on all the videos-- we get plenty of questions on the forum regarding these subjects-- so will be passing along the information --:):):) Cheers

Reactions: Suhail
Thanks everyone! Glad you liked it (my first time doing something like this so I wasn't sure how it would turn out). Please feel free to share with anyone else that you think might benefit from this information.

Man this is epic stuff video...:eek::D

I vote to a stick tread "How to disassemble P3";);)

Just for curiosity, on video 2, my P3A i only have 2 transparent clips, securing the gimble...and 4 whites one`s..

Thank you very much for this videos!

Great, great work!!

Thanks Mordor! I am brand new to this forum so I am not sure what you mean by "Stick Thread". Regarding your comment about your P3 only having two transparent anchors, that doesn't seem right. Each of the four corners that hold the gimbal to the plate above it should have a white damper (the white ball) along with a two-piece clip that holds it all together. If you only have two, the other two may have fallen off in flight and might be putting extra stress on the two that remain. Ultimately, the two remaining clips will likely fail due to the extra weight and your gimbal and/or its cables may get damaged. Fortunately, the spare parts are really cheap in you can get a repair kit that includes the dampers and clips for about $10-$15 bucks on Amazon.

Suhail:

You welcome! Sorry, english is not my native laguage. By "Stick Tread" i did mean that Moderators should put your tread on the top of this section, as a "fixe" one or inamovible..like the firmware section, above...because your tread has very important information!

About the sticks....i don`t have here my P3A, but did check internet, and those made of "almost glass" there are only 2....again, my english isn`t very good.

They form a X, one is in the front right, the other on the rear left. Please check it.

Review: A critical look at DJI's Phantom 3 Professional

No worries Mordor! - so I did a bit of research and I now understand what you are saying... the gimbal is supposed to have four dampers but only two damper pins/clips. For some strange reason, mine came with four pins/clips and I have never really thought much about it, but as I looked online, I noticed that everyone only has two pins/clips. Thanks for pointing this out!

Reactions: Mordor

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.