P2V+ Loosing GPS Signal

discobrother said:
The amount of SATs in the area is not an issue. Checked on my app and 23 overhead but phantom struggling to get 4.
If your app shows 23 sats, that's the combined US + Russian sats. Your Phantom can only use the US sats.
On my app the US sats show as circles and the Russian sats as squares.

Meta4 said:
The idea that cloud cover causes GPS problems is a popular myth.
The GPS system has been designed specifically to provide all-weather navigation anywhere in the world.
If cloud cover was a problem, Phantoms would be losing control all over the world every day.
Cars and ships would have serious difficulty navigating.
The receiver in the Phantom has no problem with cloud cover - like all GPS receivers.
http://www.gpsinformation.net/gpsclouds.htm

If you have a GPS problem (cloudy day or not) check the available sats with a handheld GPS unit or gps app to see what is really visible in your sky. That may show what the real problem is.
Go buy a 5-10 year old gps unit, Check satellite lock on both and come back and talk to me. I assure you, Receiver quality DOES make a difference in weather condition.

tritontr21 said:
Meta4 said:
The idea that cloud cover causes GPS problems is a popular myth.
The GPS system has been designed specifically to provide all-weather navigation anywhere in the world.
If cloud cover was a problem, Phantoms would be losing control all over the world every day.
Cars and ships would have serious difficulty navigating.
The receiver in the Phantom has no problem with cloud cover - like all GPS receivers.
http://www.gpsinformation.net/gpsclouds.htm

If you have a GPS problem (cloudy day or not) check the available sats with a handheld GPS unit or gps app to see what is really visible in your sky. That may show what the real problem is.
Go buy a 5-10 year old gps unit, Check satellite lock on both and come back and talk to me. I assure you, Receiver quality DOES make a difference in weather condition.
I have used GPS extensively for work for the last 20 years. For a handheld I always use Garmin GPS60 series because of their performance and they are more than 5 years old. I stand by my original comment that clouds have no impact upon GPS signal.
The whole GPS system would be useless if it was affected by overcast conditions. If you have a GPS problem it is not caused by clouds.

Do the foil mod and get sat reception like this.
i-jCHz6CP-L.jpg

I've also been using for 20+ years. Maritime. I grew up on water.

Again. THE QUALITY OF the RECEIVER DOES impact GPS signal. It's not up for debate. Or else shipyards would be installing the cheapest receivers they could buy. Bit they do not.

tritontr21 said:

Again. THE QUALITY OF the RECEIVER DOES impact GPS signal. It's not up for debate. Or else shipyards would be installing the cheapest receivers they could buy. Bit they do not.
Obviously a poor antenna is going to be a limitation - but that wasn't being debated.
This discussion started with the myth of cloud cover affecting GPS.

When you do the tin foil mod. You must also rap the cable that comes from gps. With foil right to the plug

Meta4 said:
tritontr21 said:

Obviously a poor antenna is going to be a limitation - but that wasn't being debated.
This discussion started with the myth of cloud cover affecting GPS.

From my experience.. in theory cloud cover shouldnt affect satellites reception, but from personal experience with a dashboard garmin receiver from the mid 1990's and two garmin rhino's (use mostly for geocaching), on clear sunny days I never had problems getting gps lock. On heavily clouded days, the dashboard garmin would hardly ever get more then 4 satellites... and typically not even that. We attempted to geocaching a number of times on overcast days, but the rhino's where pretty much worthless. On sunny days even in fairly dense tree cover they could still get gps lock most of the time. My Garmin DC320 doesnt seem to suffer the same fate... but even today on a cloudy day the Rhino will fail but the 320 is fine. Next chance I get I'll take a picture with the two units side by side to demonstrate the difference. So it is possible it is NOT the clouds... but some environmental factor on cloudy days does affect gps reception.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj