How to avoid loosing another drone....

This is one of the reasons for VLOS (visual line of sight) regulations. Mine disconnected once, no screen view and I couldn't restart it. Thought I was flying toward me, instead it was flying the other way. Now I always practice VLOS and enhance that with Firehouse strobe lights.
Lets not start on the criticizing but help the op find his drone
and why it did what it did.
Thanks.

This is one of the reasons for VLOS (visual line of sight) regulations. Mine disconnected once, no screen view and I couldn't restart it. Thought I was flying toward me, instead it was flying the other way. Now I always practice VLOS and enhance that with Firehouse strobe lights.

Well, the whole point of the flights are to see what I can't from home. At the distance of the north field to the house is just further away than what I can see given a white drone against an overcast sky.

Cloud sync also does not load. It hovers at 65% and never goes beyond that.
I would suggest ignoring that flight list in the GO app for now and hop onto the link @Meta4 posted. It’s a tad more work but worth it. You may not only find where your drone is, but why it behaved as it did.

Heck lemme get the data I'll go find the drone free of charge if I get to keep it :) no but really the flight data is the needle in the haystack you have a nice machine sitting in ur field. We want to help you find it before a storm or something further happens to it. I understand more than anyone the expense of droning as I had to let go of some other stuff just to be able to get what I got. I don't want to see you lose your machine they are fun. The batteries will always be a problem. I may know your problem so my dad 68 charges his lipos and let's them set for 4-5 days now they are smart batterys so they discharge but it's not good for them you see they are 3 cell lipo batteries and each cell has a voltage now the batteries your using are 12.8volts after fully charged and stored each cell is at roughly 4.25volts each cell giving you 100% battery what a lot of people dont know in your settings you can display battery voltage you always want this cause 100% battery doesnt mean a fully charged battery they start to discharge so really when ur flying and u think ur at 12.8volts your really probably 3.7volts or 3.6 volts each cell which is a weaker charge of course so the battery runs out faster it doesnt perform aswell plus when the lipos reach I believe 3 volts per cell totaling 9volts then I believe the auto land starts. It's annoying i use litchi sometimes and it warms me of battery at whatever I set it at but by default litchi will land my drone at 10% battery maybe so it has juice so I can find it idk it's not cool I use 10% to get home sometimes. So when I do long missions I use Dji GO app.

I would suggest ignoring that flight list in the GO app for now and hop onto the link @Meta4 posted. It’s a tad more work but worth it. You may not only find where your drone is, but why it behaved as it did.

Our weather is supposed to be good for the next couple of days, so if there's a chance of getting it back I'm all over that. It won't happen till tuesday due to work, so that gives me time to figure out the directions in the supplied link. I'm 58 and not "into" electronics and only fly occasionally. The biggest challenge for me with new electronics like drone directions is the vocabulary. I often run into terms or phrases in directions that I just don't understand what they are saying, so that's a handicap right off the bat in just wading through a data process. I'm an old school tool and die machinist who has no idea how to run a CNC machine, which places me just about equal with dinosaurs!

Reactions: MTO and dronesky
Our weather is supposed to be good for the next couple of days, so if there's a chance of getting it back I'm all over that. It won't happen till tuesday due to work, so that gives me time to figure out the directions in the supplied link. I'm 58 and not "into" electronics and only fly occasionally. The biggest challenge for me with new electronics like drone directions is the vocabulary. I often run into terms or phrases in directions that I just don't understand what they are saying, so that's a handicap right off the bat in just wading through a data process. I'm an old school tool and die machinist who has no idea how to run a CNC machine, which places me just about equal with dinosaurs!
No need to think it will be harder than it really is to find your flight logs. The link provided earlier by @Meta4 sends you to instructions which are easy to follow. You are new to the forum, but we do routinely provide the link to those instructions and very often are able to tell owners exactly where to go to pick up their drones. If that initial log is not enough, we later ask for .dat files.

One of the most common errors tends to be that owners just post their entire flight log here instead of uploading it to the log viewer and then posting only a link to the log viewer's output.

Last edited:
Next business is do you have android or iphone? I can easily walk you through finding the flight data in a Android device.
Android,
I'm grateful if we can get data out of this thing. I don't have the controller with me, so later this evening if you're still up. If not, then Tuesday. It took a year to convince the cows it's harmless and not the hornet from *** flying past them, so I'd sure like to get it back!

Android,
I'm grateful if we can get data out of this thing. I don't have the controller with me, so later this evening if you're still up. If not, then Tuesday. It took a year to convince the cows it's harmless and not the hornet from **** flying past them, so I'd sure like to get it back!
You don't need your controller to get the flight log from your device. If you are willing, please read the instructions provided earlier in post 16. If you are not comfortable posting your flight log, no worries. Don't feel obligated. :)

I will be awake when you are home we will get your flight data.
Android,
I'm grateful if we can get data out of this thing. I don't have the controller with me, so later this evening if you're still up. If not, then Tuesday. It took a year to convince the cows it's harmless and not the hornet from hell flying past them, so I'd sure like to get it back!

Cloud sync also does not load. It hovers at 65% and never goes beyond that.
Try sync with internet conection,sometimes using wifi access dont work sometimes,my p3s is the same so I turn off wifi and let it go ,,if this syncing is not syncing it wont load flights.......just add I just sync couple p3s flights and it took close to 30min which was bit over and then tells me flights syncing failed but they now have cloud logo next to those flights which means they did sync,,,probably a bug in the app which might explain the new playstore app updates twice just recent,,,just let it do its thing and walk away for while,,it did update my growth of value so must have worked,,,its also possible the dji server has a issue but more would post on it so that a guess

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm grateful if we can get data out of this thing. I don't have the controller with me, so later this evening if you're still up.
There's no need for the anxiety, just follow the instructions back in post #16.
The process takes about two minutes.
You don't need the controller ... just the phone or tablet you fly with.
When/if you post the data, someone will be able to analyse it in a few minutes.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
With a little luck, we'll be able to help you with a GPS location for your Phantom and some insight into the battery issue.

YOU GUYS AND OR GALS ARE FLIPP'N UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
I was able to download the last flight. Turns out it was only 300 yards away when it went down in the trees. It "face planted" a bit, but we did find it. One broken prop, and some casing cracking but otherwise it's all there! I started it up and the camera went through it's "happy dance" and leveled out. WOW!!!

One other item of interest for you all. I posted my issue on this and one other site. The other site I received no help at all outside of "you shouldn't have lost it" crap. This site was the only one that said hold on and let's figure this out. FANTASTIC!

To say I'm impressed is an understatement. Thank you all for for taking part in this recovery. I have some cleaning to do and a bit of glue repair but that's sure cheaper than buying a new one!

In your debt and very grateful,
Goshawk

One last question:
Any recommendations for what glue to use on the body's cracks?

Again, you-all have absolutely made my day!

One last question:
Any recommendations for what glue to use on the body's cracks?

Again, you-all have absolutely made my day!
Might want to post pics of the cracks as you may get better advice. Also, some cracks are less risky to repair than others I think.

Glad you found it this is a good one for the story books :) happy flying.

My wife found it, but it's you folks that made it possible. Without that record I was in the wrong place and would have never found it.
Drone Hunter.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl