P2 full batteries stored over winter, how to proceed?

Reaction score
Did something stupid (I think) and stored by batteries at full capacity over winter. I have not done any firmware upgrades from 3.04 so they all showed being pretty full when checked them.

Probably will be familiar to some of you: when I did first flights on two batteries this year at one point the drone lost power, as in was no longer able to lift higher, I was able to land, and the batterys were puffy after the flight, like they were not ready for the power discharge. I have a feeling I ruined the batteries with this stunt. Am I right?

This probably was my lack of researching on how to store batteries over winter.

I have 3 batteries that I have not touched and I wonder how can I make sure they will work properly. I have the imax b6 charger, any tips or guides on how to properly proceed?

I also have the b6 charger. In the lipo section you can select lipo charge-balance-discharge. You can try to discharge at a slow rate like .05 amp and keep an eye on them as the run down slowly for 500 mHa or so (depending on battery size, larger batts I'd go a little longer) then try to fly. I would hover them close by at first to see how they feel.

Puffy not good. With no visual clues it's a good idea to learn about IR (internal resistance) to qualify battery cell(s) true C discharge rate.

Start here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Puffy not good. With no visual clues it's a good idea to learn about IR (internal resistance) to qualify battery cell(s) true C discharge rate.

Start here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Ti, he has 2 that at puffy and 3 never touched. 5 batteries total. He throws out the puffs and discharges the 3 never touched to a level where the batteries won't be shocked with the quick discharge of the phantom.

Good vid for testing I do have to say Ti

Anybody using RC Lipo should do themselves a HUGE favor and adapt a method of cell level IR testing.

All it takes is one cell in the 3S pack to go high IR and the entire pack will suffer. Often not an easy thing to qualify without testing IR.

That video uses a lot of RC gear but testing IR can easily be done with only a volt/amp meter and some sort of resistive load - Lightbulbs, old heating elements, etc.

Measure cell voltage drop with a known/measured Amp load for about 10s. As the video explains, subtract start voltage from loaded voltage - do Ohm's law calculation x1000, good to go. Hat trick is to do it to every cell in the 3S string battery pack.

I agree with you buddy, but op wants to know if the 3 battery's he stored at full charge over the winter don't have the same death as the first 2. If he does as the video states I still wouldent take them out and run the batteries hard. I myself would still discharge them a bit and with the charger he has will discharge the cells individualy and not as one pack. That's just my opinion though and hope the best for O/P and his remaining batteries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers