Optimal iPad - Phantom combo?

Reaction score
Hi there!
I hope to get my P3A delivered tomorrow and now I must upgrade my iPad.
I'm leaning towards the iPad 2 mini with 16GB and WiFi is that a god combo with the Phantom?
What iPad would be the ideal partner for the Phantom?
Any thoughts or suggestions on alternatives?

Here's a suggestion: use the search feature I bet you find multiple posts on the subject.

Hi there!
I'm leaning towards the iPad 2 mini with 16GB and WiFi is that a god combo with the Phantom?
The bigger the picture the better for touch screen control-- got to have antiglare sheet on the ipad to cut down on the glare and use a sun hood. The visibility in the sun is the issue with my ipad air.

If you get an iPad with wifi only you will not have GPS on your iPad so your Pilot app will not show anything on the map. But you can hotspot from an iPhone with data to get GPS to the iPad.

If you get an iPad with wifi only you will not have GPS on your iPad so your Pilot app will not show anything on the map. But you can hotspot from an iPhone with data to get GPS to the iPad.
Hello, when you say that you won't have GPS how do you mean specifically? Are you saying the iPad w/o 4G will not display the GPS satellites thereby you will not be able to fly using the GPS function unless you are connected by wi-fi? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Regards,
Brad

I'm not an apple guy by any means but after trying 5 different android devices, I went with the iPad air 2 WiFi with 16gb. Couldn't be happier with the combo! Yeah, the sun is a problem but there's a lot of different options for that.
I just hot spot my phone to cash the map, then put it in airplane mode. Gone 5100 feet with the hdr maxed out without a hiccup.
Not cost effective but optimal. ;}

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Hello, when you say that you won't have GPS how do you mean specifically? Are you saying the iPad w/o 4G will not display the GPS satellites thereby you will not be able to fly using the GPS function unless you are connected by wi-fi? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Regards,
Brad
I think the wifi only iPad does not have a GPS receiver. Plus, without "data" (wifi or 4G) the map window in the Pilot app on your iPad will not show any features such as streets, etc. it will show the position of your Phantom but there is nothing on the map to reference where that is. Your P3 has its own GPS working still and can fly GPS, but you cannot tell on the iPad map where that is. I hope this answers your question.

Reactions: kookjo
I'm not an apple guy by any means but after trying 5 different android devices, I went with the iPad air 2 WiFi with 16gb. Couldn't be happier with the combo! Yeah, the sun is a problem but there's a lot of different options for that.
I just hot spot my phone to cash the map, then put it in airplane mode. Gone 5100 feet with the hdr maxed out without a hiccup.
Not cost effective but optimal. ;}

I did not realize you could cache the map onto the iPad from a phone hotspot. I will try that, thanks!

Reactions: AmosMoses
I think the wifi only iPad does not have a GPS receiver. Plus, without "data" (wifi or 4G) the map window in the Pilot app on your iPad will not show any features such as streets, etc. it will show the position of your Phantom but there is nothing on the map to reference where that is. Your P3 has its own GPS working still and can fly GPS, but you cannot tell on the iPad map where that is. I hope this answers your question.
Thanks for your response. From what I can gather you could download with wifi link to iPhone if you wanted to download the maps. Let me know if you disagree with that comment.

Regards,
Brad

If you are conected with a Wifi network you can donwload the masp for later use on a non Wifi area.
Ipad with just Wifi and no Cellular Option have no "GPS" capabilities. For having "GPS capabilities" you need the Wif+cellular models.

Hi there!
I bought one a couple weeks ago, works great with my P3A once you put the latest OS and latest DJI software in, enjoy. You will need a sun shade, I made one out of a shoe box, works fine.

Do you have to be connected to the Phantom when caching the maps, or just open the app when connected to WiFi?

Do you have to be connected to the Phantom when caching the maps, or just open the app when connected to WiFi?
Just open the app close to where you'll be flying. Move it around to cash a larger area near the flight zone and you'll be good. No need to have the p3 on or connected.

Reactions: snowghost
Is the Ipad air fits into the original holder of the p3p controler? anybody tried?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.