Operating motors with no propellers

??? DJI have some magic BL Motor ?? Since when ?

Basic ESC ? If you are implying that I don;t know the difference between a BRUSHED and a BRUSHLESS ESC ... then sorry - you are grossly mistaken. Having suffered years of BRUSHED motors and controllers in car rcaing / boats and even very early pioneer days of e-flight ... then been around as BL motors and Lithium tech took over ... I actually object to your assumption.

The RPM pf a DJI or any quad / multi-rotor is controlled by Flight Controller and its solving the flight according to your stick commands. The FC will adjust the power fed to each ESC to arrive at correct speed for that action.

The ESC in fact acts based on the command signals sent to it ..... and they ARE basic BRUSHLESS ESC's ... only difference is that are board mounted instead of separate...

My 450 Quad has the motors from my P3S and each controlled with own Aerostar 20A ESC and in turn the ESC's receive their command signals from the Betaflight Flight Controller .......... in basically same way the Phantom does !!

Nigel
Im not making any assumptions. What I am saying is you appear perhaps not to appreciate how a BLDC motor driven by an AC waveform operates. That is only the frequency and the number of poles determine the rotation speed (rpm = f/pp)- Voltage is not in the formula! KV is useful in determining the torque the motor might reliably produce, it is a carry over from rating system applied to brushed motors.

To add some clarity here I perhaps don't understand what you mean when you say the motors "have speed limiting but its based on the AC style of 3 wire power to them. The power is basically pulsed and will only hit a max figure and that's it". My take on what you have said being that "simply pulsed" more accurately describes the function of what I am calling a basic ESC with the distinction that the TI motor driver employed by DJI in the phantom 3 onwards is a true sine wave drive. There is no risk of over speed or over voltage with the motor driven operated in absence of a prop being fitted. The motor drive electronics will make sure of it.

Last edited:
Im not making any assumptions. What I am saying is you appear not to appreciate how a BLDC motor driven by an AC waveform operates. That is only the frequency and the number of poles determine the rotation speed (rpm = f/pp)- Voltage is not in the formula! KV is useful in determining the torque the motor might reliably produce, it is a carry over from rating system applied to brushed motors.
Ok ive been following this debate and i have a question. So what variable in the formula changes on a sinewave driven motor from no load to full load? Is it is the voltage just drawing more amperage?

Edit is it the same voltage *?

What is confusing the issue is to claim that the Ti instructs Brushless motor differently to a separate ESC unit. It does NOT.

You can hook up a Wattmeter to ANY Brushless motor including DJI motors here and see the AMP rate significantly increase, with a depreciating voltage as throttle is increased. The AMP rate is actually an average over time due to ON / OFF nature of the applied power, nearest equivalent being AC ... or sinewave as some prefer. The voltage displayed reduces which is the result of voltage drop as speed / load increases.

IF you can keep the voltage constant ... which is impossible ... then you would see a constant rpm if amps remain constant ... which means the pulsing or sinewave as called does not vary.

KV is NOT a hang over from brushed in any form ... it is a valid measure of the RPM per Volt of any motor and that certainly includes Brushless. The problem is that KV is a theoretical value that cannot be attained in use as load prevents reaching such rpm per volt.

Load .. this is only constant if no changes to any input or external influences. Change any factor and the voltage then drops if load increases while it demands more amps to retain the rpm. It can only do this to an extent before that load is greater than the compensation can accommodate. This is what you see on a Wattmeter and if you have a Tacho. It is why myself and millions of RC users around the world trial different props etc. to arrive at best compromise of power in ... thrust out.

DJI motors are in no way at all different to any other Brushless Motor ... if they were - then explain how they work on my 450 Quad ?

Nigel

What is confusing the issue is to claim that the Ti instructs Brushless motor differently to a separate ESC unit. It does NOT.

You can hook up a Wattmeter to ANY Brushless motor including DJI motors here and see the AMP rate significantly increase, with a depreciating voltage as throttle is increased. The AMP rate is actually an average over time due to ON / OFF nature of the applied power, nearest equivalent being AC ... or sinewave as some prefer. The voltage displayed reduces which is the result of voltage drop as speed / load increases.

IF you can keep the voltage constant ... which is impossible ... then you would see a constant rpm if amps remain constant ... which means the pulsing or sinewave as called does not vary.

KV is NOT a hang over from brushed in any form ... it is a valid measure of the RPM per Volt of any motor and that certainly includes Brushless. The problem is that KV is a theoretical value that cannot be attained in use as load prevents reaching such rpm per volt.

Load .. this is only constant if no changes to any input or external influences. Change any factor and the voltage then drops if load increases while it demands more amps to retain the rpm. It can only do this to an extent before that load is greater than the compensation can accommodate. This is what you see on a Wattmeter and if you have a Tacho. It is why myself and millions of RC users around the world trial different props etc. to arrive at best compromise of power in ... thrust out.

DJI motors are in no way at all different to any other Brushless Motor ... if they were - then explain how they work on my 450 Quad ?

Nigel
You are seemingly proceeding with the assumption that the phantom 3 and later ESC implementation is essentially the same as that commonly employed in most RC electric models- it isn't. While (as you have pointed out) the motors are essentially the same as any other standard BLDC motor the drive system is significantly different (more advanced) than the typical ESC employed in most RC models.

Your common ESC employs a commutation method where a trapezoidal drive pattern is derived using motor back EMF to time the phase switching, This has been the standard method of RC model ESC architecture since day dot- it is simple to implement with low cost and weight as advantages- the trade off is increased motor noise and reduced efficiency. Trapezoidal commutation switches current in the motor phases in six discrete steps. This is inherently inaccurate, having a rotor position margin of error of +/- 30 degrees. These inaccuracies add a torque ripple to the system, which negatively impacts efficiency and torque output of the motor.

The motor drive SOC in phantom 3 and later AC employs a drive algorithm TI calls Instaspin in its marketing blurb- more commonly known as Field Orientation Control (FOC). FOC provides tight control of motor torque and speed independently through the use of true sinusoidal commutation. The benefits are increased smoothness, greatly increased efficiency, higher torque and more accurate speed control. DJI calls the tech pure sine-wave drive, an accurate description.

It is the advantages realised by FOC implementation that have given us longer flight times and allowed the use of higher pitch props at lower RPM in recent DJI models. To give you a number FOC vs standard ESC implementation can give up to 23% higher efficiency (80% vs 57%) in the midrange RPM, clearly a huge advantage when running a fixed pitch prop across a wide speed range as we do with our phantoms.

As you probably know KV is the voltage that might be measured between phases on a BLDC motor driven as an alternator. Spin a 3000kv motor at 3000 rpm and you should see 1V AC. It is essentially the back EMF value. It remains very handy in determining battery voltage for a particular model as trapezoidal drive ESC are really doing nothing more than chopping the supply and max motor RPM is simply a function of KV and battery voltage. I say it is less important now as it is certainly less relevant with FOC drive schemes. The fact that FOC gives higher efficiencies over a broader operating RPM range makes it less critical to find that magic sweet spot where efficiency and thrust align. You are not alone, I too have invested considerable time in matching motors to ESC and batteries while fiddling with headsoeeds and pitch with CP heli’s.

If we go back to your original suggestion that running a phantom 3 or later DJI AC without props might somehow allow the motor KV rating to be reached I took that as being over revving. While that perhaps might be an issue with a trapezoidal drive scheme in a common ESC it is very unlikely with a FOC implementation where max rpm can be set and accurately controlled.

Last edited:
Reactions: WV. Rootman
I must admit that I have never attempted to open the throttle with unloaded motors - i just do a start & let the motors do their startup pulses, and run at the set speed for a few seconds to listen to the bearings. I assume that the 2 speed pulses are to allow the escs to see if there is any prop load & if any motors are obstructed.

I must admit that I have never attempted to open the throttle with unloaded motors - i just do a start & let the motors do their startup pulses, and run at the set speed for a few seconds to listen to the bearings. I assume that the 2 speed pulses are to allow the escs to see if there is any prop load & if any motors are obstructed.
Ive always thought the 2 speed pulses were to ensure the props are tight enough to fly incase the user didn't snug em on tight enough.

Hi everyone ive searched for this and cant find anything so id like to ask, will it harm the motors if i did a propeller start with no propellers on? Some motors require a load to work correctly and i dont want to try if it will harm them. Does anyone know?
No, and actually DJI and every other forum I have seen definitely recommends that you remove the propellers before startup when doing firmware updates or anything where you’re indoors.

No, and actually DJI and every other forum I have seen definitely recommends that you remove the propellers before startup when doing firmware updates or anything where you’re indoors.

That's a safety consideration and actually applies to virtually all RC models with props.

Nigel

Hi everyone ive searched for this and cant find anything so id like to ask, will it harm the motors if i did a propeller start with no propellers on? Some motors require a load to work correctly and i dont want to try if it will harm them. Does anyone know?
No, I do it all the time when I sprayed wd 40 in the motors

No, I do it all the time when I sprayed wd 40 in the motors
Spraying WD40 in the motors is probably a monumental waste of time and likely to do more harm than good. Very little if any of the compound will find its way inside the bearings- to the extent it does it will likely reduce the viscosity of the factory installed lubricant in the bearings and allow it to escape. It will also do a good job of trapping airborne particulates forming a nice goo that will restrict airflow through the motors and may actually increase friction.

I'm in the Oil biz and WD40 is one of those products I use but only when suitable ... NOT the do-all that it pretends to be.

It has caused more ignition faults in older points equipped cars than any other fault I reckon as it leaves a residue behind once the solvent evaporates.
Its only use for RC motors would be a once only at field quietening of a noisy motor. But once used - then a drop of SMO (light cycle oil) is defintely advised.

There's a lot of rubbish talked about RC motors and in particular the DJI phantom ones. They are NOT sealed motors - they are SHIELDED motors. They are fully suitable to be lubricated by suitable oil in tiny amounts - the best is Light Cycle Oil ... generally sold as Sewing Machine Oil. Its light, its not sticky, and does not carry grit.
Heavier medium or grease is the worst as that will carry grit.

I have motors that are many years old and LCO keeps them sweet as with my DJI's ... After a flight in a dusty area - I will undo the motor screws ... use a toothpick to carry a small drop of LCO to the side of shaft .. when all is inverted ... quick spin of motor by hand ... remount (don't forget dab of Blue Threadlock on screws) ...
The spin by hand allows the LCO is wick into the bearing.

There are comments from some that claim once you oil first time - you then need to repeat because you've upset the factory oiling ... total rubbish ... sorry to be blunt, but true. What I will say is that if you have a regime of doing it at intervals ... then no harm is done at all. You can even use 3in1 bicycle oil if no LCO available. 3in1 is a blend of LCO and other grades to cover multi use.

But please don't use WD40 or any of its competitive products such as Duck Oil etc.

Nigel

Reactions: With The Birds

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl