Old Motors vs. New Ones

Just popped into Maplin, got my P3P exchanged for the newer motor version P3P.

Can't wait to test it tomorrow.

2nd time they exchanged without a question being asked, showed them the new motors and checked stock and all P3P they have has new motors except 1 with the old motors.

Overall very happy with Maplin.

Reactions: Mario_SB
Just popped into Maplin, got my P3P exchanged for the newer motor version P3P.

Can't wait to test it tomorrow.

2nd time they exchanged without a question being asked, showed them the new motors and checked stock and all P3P they have has new motors except 1 with the old motors.

Overall very happy with Maplin.
Please let us know if you noticed any "real" difference? Are they quieter, faster, more efficient, etc?

Please let us know if you noticed any "real" difference? Are they quieter, faster, more efficient, etc?

Having owned a P3 for a while I do not think there will be any difference, only changed to the newer motor one just so I can have a piece of mind lol, so far have not heard of any new motor version cracking hence why I changed it.

My P3A which I initially had cracked/hairline near the motor mount screw, the P3P which I got afterwards was fine but have had the active braking turned down.

I will test with the newer version and keep the active braking at 100% just to see how it goes, on the P3A it cracked at 76th Flight.

Anyone know the sizes of the bearings on the new motors? I can't seem to find it anywhere and would like to get a spare set of boca bearings just to have on hand. Boca doesn't have a kit yet but you can order them by size.

Getting ready to get a p3p
What are the differences between the old style motors and the new

The box will tell you via the picture on the packaging if it is the new style motors or not. Here is a few pics of the boxes with the new and old style motors depicted in the picture. Hope this helps!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Actually, people have reported old motors in new boxes so be careful. For what its worth, I just got a new P3P with new motors and it had the updated box with new motors.

Actually, people have reported old motors in new boxes so be careful. For what its worth, I just got a new P3P with new motors and it had the updated box with new motors.

I realised this with the boxes a while ago

I've not seen or heard of any old pro's in new boxes though..

Marketing suggesting improved performance.
However you'll notice no improvement in performance or flight time.
Either is just as good.
Some have found otherwise. Long distance fliers with battery mods are getting up to 5 minutes more flight times with the new motors. 33 minutes v. 28 minutes. YMMV.:cool:

My P3 has the new motors, I was able to compare them to a P3 with old motors at an AC park.. The new motors look smaller and not as beefy, almost fragile looking. Also I think they are quieter at idle than the old motors, but just as loud when lifting off and ascending.. I dont think there is any difference in performance

My P3 has the new motors, I was able to compare them to a P3 with old motors at an AC park.. The new motors look smaller and not as beefy, almost fragile looking. Also I think they are quieter at idle than the old motors, but just as loud when lifting off and ascending.. I dont think there is any difference in performance
Loudness during lifting comes not from the motors, that's aero dynamic noise of air churning through props

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic