New - Couple of questions

Wow, I can't believe what you're saying, and what I'm reading here. & trying to steer the young up & coming unranked Pilots into sky high trouble, My oh My, & so early in their PreAir Force career.;-)
There are two lines, visual-sight, and yours, which doesn't count here.
image.png
Here is Where the mistaken meaning happens, and I can See why the flight error occurs.
What is necessary is that you keep a Visual Line Of Sight.
Please Stop Twisting the truth with word play, to suit Your flying style.
You know darn well what the folks in black suits want.

Be truthful with the new folks VLOS.

KEEP AN EYE ON IT. ;-)

Now you get it? Hehe

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Silvaplana and Oso
Make it even more fun for everybody. . .

image.png

How high should you be flying, to be safe, at long distances out?

RedHotPoker

These same people who don't know what line of sight means are probably the same guys that will tell you to calibrate your compass before every flight lol. Just take it slow and fly in an open field with no obstacles until you are very comfortable with the controls . And stay within your comfort level. There's nothing better !!

Reactions: phantom13flyer
I'm not interested in being negative, only wanting newcomers to fly in a safe as can be manner.
And to me, that would mean keeping the Phantom, or what ever you are flying, in your eye sight at all times.
If you can't see it, how can you fly? Besides with the awesome app and map. So: What If the trusty app fails/quits working,
Now where are you, up there? ;-)
Was it a Fly-Away? Or uneducated stupidity?
Remember we are talking about new Pilots, whom have no clue yet.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: JoBe and Oso
Let it go bro !! Neither I nor you have the power to control how anyone else flies there uav. They're going to do whatever they want. I'm not even sure where you even got the idea that I was encouraging he to fly unsafe but anyway . If you really think you can control another person's flying habits then you need to stop kidding yourself.

Reactions: Bigdrone1
Tell you what I've noticed in this debate (I have no feelings
either way). The guys arguing for clean air line of sight seem to be adopting a slightly defensive sneery tone, while the guys arguing for actual line of sight are just stating their case in a friendly manner. If you calmed down a bit, your point would seem more reasoned.

Reactions: PhantomFun and Oso
There's plenty of reasoning.
FAA program tests drones flying beyond pilot's line-of-sight
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration has announced tests of drones in urban areas as well as outside the pilot’s line-of-sight, possibly paving the way for operations such as the aerial delivery of packages as proposed by companies like Amazon.com.

FAA administrator Michael P. Huerta announced Wednesday a new Pathfinder Program under which the agency has partnered with three U.S. companies to explore three key types of unmanned operations.

PrecisionHawk, a drone manufacturer, will be surveying crops in rural areas using unmanned aircraft flying outside of the pilot’s direct vision, while BNSF Railroad will test the unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) to inspect their rail infrastructure beyond visual line-of-sight in isolated areas, Huerta said at a conference of the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International.

News network CNN will be testing drones for news gathering in urban areas.

The FAA and Department of Transportation proposed in February new rules that would allow companies to fly drones of less than 55 pounds at an altitude of up to 500 feet and at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour during daylight hours. The drone must be flown by a licensed drone operator and kept within visual line-of-sight at all times.

Huerta described the proposed rules as containing “commonsense provisions,” like not flying near airports, at night, or more than 500 feet off the ground.

While the FAA addresses over 4,000 comments on the proposal before finalizing the rule, which would take time, it is meanwhile looking for other ways to expand the use of unmanned aircraft.

“We anticipate receiving valuable data from each of these trials that could result in FAA-approved operations in the next few years,” Huerta said.

The FAA also released at the conference a smartphone app, called B4UFLY, that users can use to determine whether there are any restrictions or requirements in effect at the location where they want to fly their UAS. The FAA is inviting volunteers to test the app, with plans to release to about 1,000 beta testers. It will be available on iOS first with an Android version to follow.

RedHotPoker

I was at a commercial UAV conference in October and the FAA spoke there also. Although they are doing these pathfinder programs, they want recreational users to keep the drone in visual contact. But as others have noted, they will fly any way they want. LOL! Good Luck, get a bunch of insurance. There are law firms already gearing up to sue people who fly a mile away then crash into something and cause injuries. I own a commercial UAV service and plan on following all the rules. Those who question the rules should visit the FAA website there is great information there and also the AMA. Happy flying!

Reactions: JoBe
I'm an elated card carrying member in good standing of MAAC
image.jpeg

And Loyal to our local RC heli flying club. ERCHA.
image.gif

So Definately looking forward to any and all, what ever the Canadian authorities want us to abide by. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I'm not interested in being negative, only wanting newcomers to fly in a safe as can be manner.
And to me, that would mean keeping the Phantom, or what ever you are flying, in your eye sight at all times.
If you can't see it, how can you fly? Besides with the awesome app and map. So: What If the trusty app fails/quits working,
Now where are you, up there? ;-)
Was it a Fly-Away? Or uneducated stupidity?
Remember we are talking about new Pilots, whom have no clue yet.

RedHotPoker
My hand is up as a new pilot with no clue!

I can tell you that this is all scary at the moment. I've spent time researching on my own, but its still valuable to me to hear from others who have been in my shoes. I want to know what is expected from me by the drone hobbyists and from the public. I don't want to accidentally do something that makes everyone look bad, so I prefer to know the most accepted and followed rules. Almost everything I have seen and read about line of sight for the drone hobby says within eyesight, including from the government. I dont want to mess with the government. Just because that phrase line of sight might mean something else in another context, that doesn't mean I should be forcing that other definition on myself or on other new pilots who are probably already nervous and confused. As a newbie, I want the definition for this and everything else in the hobby that is most accepted and followed by drone pilots and the government.

Exactly!! It's been said a few times in this thread. Take it slow and stay in a wide open space keep your eye on it and always stay in your comfort level.

AMA is a good use 45 dollars. And most clubs require membership to fly there. At least our club requires it. And you get an awesome magazine subscription with it.

Stand strong and make your own decisions . Stay within your comfort zone.
I will for sure. I'm sort of a "don't tread on me" type normally. Still, since line of sight for these advanced drones is so widely defined now as within eyesight, that is exactly what I intend to do at least for the time being. I'm very grateful to the forum members who have helped so far with steering me in the the right direction to start out. It makes a lot of sense to keep it simple with newbies! Later as I grow more confident I can spread my wings a bit.

Reactions: Bigdrone1
AMA is a good use 45 dollars. And most clubs require membership to fly there. At least our club requires it. And you get an awesome magazine subscription with it.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, sorry. Are you saying the AMA is a good thing? I do see several forum members are also AMA members, but I haven't researched that yet.

since line of sight for these advanced drones is so widely defined now as within eyesight, that is exactly what I intend to do at least for the time being.
The term line of sight has been around almost as long as radio.
It's all about the line ... not about seeing.
Within visual range and line of sight are two different things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik