Old Motors vs. New Ones

Not to mention that the video signal cuts out sooner on the "new motors" vs same flight path with "old motors"
Anyone else experience this first hand?

Nope. I have both and both are exactly the same.

Not sure why motors would change video feed. DJI has mentioned _nothing_ about changing anything to do with video.

Yes !! My advanced with old motors has solid signal out 3-4km in the city ... The pro I have with new motors loses signal at around 2km

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Boots on the ground field testing, in real life environments, proves the both W323 P3P and W322 P3A birds with original old motors have the best video range, with both transmitting 0.746 Watts of power for video from the aircraft. Anything less will cause the signal to be degraded much closer. Unfortunately, the new P4 has 20% less video power output than the old motor P3's. :(

Nope. I have both and both are exactly the same.

Not sure why motors would change video feed. DJI has mentioned _nothing_ about changing anything to do with video.
Umm...Have you read the FCC docs under the FCC ID numbers associated with each bird? The motors have nothing to do with it, but when the motors were changed, the video power output was ALSO reduced by either 18% or 30%, depending upon whether it was the A or B version, with the W323B version being 30% less, and the 323A version being 18% less. You won't notice at at all, if you never fly beyond VLOS.

Umm...Have you read the FCC docs under the FCC ID numbers associated with each bird? The motors have nothing to do with it, but when the motors were changed, the video power output was ALSO reduced by either 18% or 30%, depending upon whether it was the A or B version, with the W323B version being 30% less, and the 323A version being 18% less. You won't notice at at all, if you never fly beyond VLOS.

You mention the transmitter, not the video. Why would the transmitter be sending a video signal?

I'm confused by your mention of an 18% and 30% reduction on either the A or B transmitter. So both of these transmitters had a reduction in power output? Not sure how this would increase the video from the P3 to the transmitter only on the P3's with the new motors.

Also, the B transmitter had been out well prior to the motors being changed. So again, the change of motors has nothing to do with the video signal.

In my case I've flown in the same place to 8000' with the _exact_ same results.

Boots on the ground field testing, in real life environments, proves the both W323 P3P and W322 P3A birds with original old motors have the best video range, with both transmitting 0.746 Watts of power for video from the aircraft. Anything less will cause the signal to be degraded much closer. Unfortunately, the new P4 has 20% less video power output than the old motor P3's. :(
True story. I've been using the new motor bird for my long distance runs, but I'm getting ready to switch back to the old motors Bird because I got a fight signal around the 4-5 mile mark, with the boosted V2 antenna on flight pads that I never had problems before

You mention the transmitter, not the video. Why would the transmitter be sending a video signal?

I'm confused by your mention of an 18% and 30% reduction on either the A or B transmitter. So both of these transmitters had a reduction in power output? Not sure how this would increase the video from the P3 to the transmitter only on the P3's with the new motors.

8000 feet would not make a difference at all, it's not far enough for what I'm talking about

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Also, the B transmitter had been out well prior to the motors being changed. So again, the change of motors has nothing to do with the video signal.

I didn't mention the transmitter. I referred to the bird/aircraft which has its own power output for your FPV Lightbridge video feed. See above, a few posts back, for a fuller explanation. You will not notice any discernable difference at less than 2 miles. At 4-5 miles, it's night and day, literally!

8000 feet would not make a difference at all, it's not far enough for what I'm talking about

It's certainly beyond LOS as you mentioned. It's as far as either of my P3's have flown so it certainly would be a measure of their video transmission. If we are talking about one P3 having the ability to transmit video further then the next and both are flown out until that signal stops I'd kind of think it would be an accurate test of transmission ability.

True story. I've been using the new motor bird for my long distance runs, but I'm getting ready to switch back to the old motors Bird because I got a fight signal around the 4-5 mile mark, with the boosted V2 antenna on flight pads that I never had problems before
Same here! Never would have known how bad the newer versions are, at long distance, with the mods, had my original bird not crashed (warranty covered battery shutoff in mid air!), and I was forced to buy a new W323A version at Best Buy. It was so bad, I returned it, and got another. Same problem! It wasn't until I bought a lightly used original motor W323 that I finally got my long range video feed back!

I didn't mention the transmitter.

Perhaps I'm reading your post incorrectly...

"The motors have nothing to do with it, but when the motors were changed, the video power output was ALSO reduced by either 18% or 30%, depending upon whether it was the A or B version, with the W323B version being 30% less, and the 323A version being 18% less.

Perhaps I'm reading your post incorrectly...

"The motors have nothing to do with it, but when the motors were changed, the video power output was ALSO reduced by either 18% or 30%, depending upon whether it was the A or B version, with the W323B version being 30% less, and the 323A version being 18% less.
Sorry for not being more clear. The video power output comes from the aircraft, not the RC. There is a transmitter on the aircraft for video, and a transmitter in the RC for control. Neither have anything to do with the other.

It's certainly beyond LOS as you mentioned. It's as far as either of my P3's have flown so it certainly would be a measure of their video transmission. If we are talking about one P3 having the ability to transmit video further then the next and both are flown out until that signal stops I'd kind of think it would be an accurate test of transmission ability.
I've flown the exact same routes back to back with each aircraft, and with two different W323A birds and three different W323 birds. Same results every time. W323 birds are rock solid at 50 feet above the ground at 3-5 miles. Video on all W323A birds becomes unstable at 2-3 miles and requires 200-400 feet of elevation at 3 miles, and cannot sustain video at all at 4-5 miles!

Sorry for not being more clear. The video power output comes from the aircraft, not the RC. There is a transmitter on the aircraft for video, and a transmitter in the RC for control. Neither have anything to do with the other.
'
Understood. But my point was that we were discussing differences between the P3 with new motors and old motors and you mentioned that the video output of the A and B (transmitters) were different. I then explained that this has nothing to do with the P3 old motor and P3 new motor drones as you describe the _transmitter_.... both of which were out prior to the new motor release and still has nothing to so with the drone itself.

So we should be leaving any discussion of the video transmitter out of this thread completely.

I've flown the exact same routes back to back with each aircraft, and with two different W323A birds and three different W323 birds. Same results every time. W323 birds are rock solid at 50 feet above the ground at 3-5 miles. Video on all W323A birds becomes unstable at 2-3 miles and requires 200-400 feet of elevation at 3 miles, and cannot sustain video at all at 4-5 miles!

... great... and if we were discussing transmitters that would be relevant. You made the statement that the P3's with the new motors have a better video transmission and back up that statement by mentioning information about the transmitter. I'm still not sure why.

... great... and if we were discussing transmitters that would be relevant. You made the statement that the P3's with the new motors have a better video transmission and back up that statement by mentioning information about the transmitter. I'm still not sure why.
Now it seems like your just arguing but not getting the intended experience thats trying to be shared, that old motor main boards have a more reliable signal after 3 miles!

I never, ever, said that the new motor birds have better video. :eek: They have far worse video, despite their extended flying times, over the original motor birds.

Also the GL300A and GL300B transmitters both have the same power output for aircraft control. It is only the video that was reduced by 18% in going from the W323 to the W323A. Only the 3rd RC transmitter, the GL300C, has the control power reduced by 18%, while the W323B reduced the video output compared to the W323 by 30% It's all clearly explained throughout this thread. We are now beating a dead horse.

Now it seems like your just arguing but not getting the intended experience thats trying to be shared, that old motor main boards have a more reliable signal after 3 miles!
Precisely! :rolleyes:
...and it is not because of the motors, but when the motors were changed, that's when the video power throttling from the bird started!:cool:

Last edited:

If you would, please provide any confirmation/documentation showing that the transmission circuits were changed in the Phantoms with the new motors. Thanks

Precisely! :rolleyes:
...and it is not because of the motors, but when the motors were changed, that's when the video power throttling from the bird started!:cool:

You mentioned changed in the transmitter power. Never about the video feed from the Phantom itself.

As noted above, please provide any confirmation/documentation that the power from the Phantom was changed with the new motor version. Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl