New - Couple of questions

Muppet[emoji12]

I'm curious about the battery recommendation. From my understanding, battery break in hasn't been proven to make a difference.

Mark.

The @dji intelligent flight battery cost here, is hovering right in around $200.00. I think I will follow their suggestions and break them in as per their knowledge and expertise

Do what ever suits you best.

Wishing you only Good luck.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
A bit harsh Mr Poker. Does a genuine question deserve a snide reply like that?

As a fellow RC novice I would be put off from asking stupid questions if I thought I would be put down rather than gently guided by those with more experience. [emoji102]

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomFun
Oops, my bad. Yeah, way too much. . . You are right. sorry.
Please watch this helpful video, and see what you think after that. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Thanks for the video [emoji1].

I personally have not experienced any heat coming from my batteries while charging or during their discharge cycling. I've still not heard of any concrete info/proof that fiddling with the intelligent battery with regard to how it's charged and discharged has increased its longevity. Lots of myth and folklore left over from previous technology in my opinion. [emoji16]

Where would one find the DJI recommendations regarding the treatment of the intelligent battery?

Thanks,
Mark.

Thanks, didn't see the bit about soft break in...

Mark.

An eager young pilot could do those ten flights in one day.
I would advise getting atleast one more battery. I have four now, and also bought an extra 100w charger. ;-)
A 50% battery doesn't take that long to charge back up to 100%.

RedHotPoker
You were right. I already went more than 10 flights to 50%. One time I was a little far and it went to 43% before landing. I'm thinking that's fine. Any issues?

So far no major issues. Wow what a rush! Thanks again for the help from everyone.

Reactions: B- Scene Films
There you go. . . Hahaha
Yeah, battery Maintenance is good. Sure, it might need proving, but you know,
It may be hard to prove it helps, but it certainly won't hurt them. ;-) better to be safe than sorry.

Glad to hear you are having a blast, and enjoying the scenery too, from above.

Have fun, fly safe, happy landing.

RedHotPoker

I modded my phantom so the arms are 35 feet long with strobes, very easy to see at 2 miles, even 3. Looks kind of like an airliner coming in.
Pic plz :)

I need a photo of this too. You mean 35", right?
Guys, the context of his comment was seeing his P3 beyond what would be a normal LOS distance. He was joking about modding his to be 35 feet long.

LOS has nothing to do with visually seeing your phantom. In theory los can be infinite. Los is having a direct line between your controller and phantom . This means you can be 5 miles away and imagine drawing a line between your controller and phantom and if there's nothing blocking it or in between them that means you are in line of sight.

Reactions: Noodle
It still amazes me how many people do not know what line of sight means . Be careful getting advice around here most people haven't been flying phantoms much longer than you. There's a lot of bad advice and just stupid people here.

LOS has nothing to do with visually seeing your phantom. In theory los can be infinite. Los is having a direct line between your controller and phantom . This means you can be 5 miles away and imagine drawing a line between your controller and phantom and if there's nothing blocking it or in between them that means you are in line of sight.
Absolutely correct. And yes definitely be careful about who you get advice from. If they don't even know what line of sight is , then it's probably a good idea nor to listen to them. Just a suggestion. Good luck!! Just take it slow and you'll have a blast.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Thank you. That's what I was trying to clarify in my earlier post, yet some people think you must be able to see your Phantom clearly with your naked eyes to qualify as line-of-sight. I guess this is an open forum so there bound to be people who talk crap.

Of course, technically you are correct but is that what you want to encourage with new owners or promote on the forum? Don't get me wrong, you can do that if you want since as noted it's an open forum. No worries. Readers can take all available info and do what they are comfortable doing in their particular circumstances in their own countries.

My preference when asked is to encourage behavior more aligned with AMA guidelines here in the U.S. Those guidelines are clear.
"Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed."

I believe that when "LOS" is used in conversation on the forum and in the general public with regards to sUAS use, it is now meant to align more with those guidelines than with a strict or legacy definition. Same as using the term "drone." IMHO, it's too late to change the term drone, and too late to make people start using the terms VLOS or BVLOS.

I hope that made sense. Cheers!

Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly

Last edited:
Of course, technically you are correct but is that what you want to encourage with new owners or promote on the forum? Don't get me wrong, you can do that if you want since as noted it's an open forum. No worries. Readers can take all available info and do what they are comfortable doing in their particular circumstances in their own countries.

My preference when asked is to encourage behavior more aligned with AMA guidelines here in the U.S. Those guidelines are clear.
"Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed."

I believe that when "LOS" is used in conversation on the forum and in the general public with regards to sUAS use, it is now meant to align more with those guidelines than with a strict or legacy definition. Same as using the term "drone." IMHO, it's too late to change the term drone, and too late to make people start using the terms VLOS or BVLOS.

I hope that made sense. Cheers!

Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly
What you believe and what is actually true are two totally different things. Giving people the wrong information because you think it's too late is obsurd.

Reactions: phantom13flyer

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl