Old Motors vs. New Ones

I have a p3p with new motors and a p3a with old. My p3a definitely gets further without signal issues !! It's very noticeable ! And my p3p with new motors definitely gets a couple mins better flight time (also noticeable, but not as noticeable as they signal losses). I haven't sat and written all the info down documenting everything etc. But if I had to get rid of one, I would probably say it would be the new motors because of the shorter signal connectivity. A way around this is with a long range antenna , but you still are shorter with the new than the old when comparing apples to apples.
My 2¢

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Have you guys perhaps also thought that the extra flight time maybe also do with less power output? It's probably a combination.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Motor test with old Motors and New Motors did it have the same controller
Same RC used on both aircraft yields about 10% more flight time because of the greater efficiency of the new motors, but the new motor W323A and W323B aircraft lose video feed 20% closer than the old motor W323 aircraft.

Same RC used on both aircraft yields about 10% more flight time because of the greater efficiency of the new motors, but the new motor W323A and W323B aircraft lose video feed 20% closer than the old motor W323 aircraft.

How does the video feed of the W323A compare to the lower powered P4 that some are claiming to get 3 or 4 miles out of stock and only limited by the battery?

How does the video feed of the W323A compare to the lower powered P4 that some are claiming to get 3 or 4 miles out of stock and only limited by the battery?
That's the $64,000 Question that I am still exploring the answer to, except the W323A has almost the exact same video output as the P4. I'm comparing it to the W323 which has 25% more video power than the P4, which is why I fear that will be the true limiting factor, even with a P4 battery mod, unless a P4 birdside video mod can also be implemented. By that time, the fine clean lines of the P4 will have it looking more like a modded P3P.

Last edited:
That's the $64,000 Question that I am still exploring the answer to, except the W323A has almost the exact same video output as the P4. I'm comparing it to the W323 which has 25% more video power than the P4, which is why I fear that will be the true limiting factor, even with a P4 battery mod, unless a P4 birdside video mod can also be implemented. By that time, the fine clean lines of the P4 will have it looking more like a modded P3P.
Do you know if someone replace the lightbridge module of a P3 with new motors with the module of an older P3 model the power output is gone be the same as before or higher like the older models?

Do you know if someone replace the lightbridge module of a P3 with new motors with the module of an older P3 model the power output is gone be the same as before or higher like the older models?
New motors and boards were placed on the original W323 P3P high power video output aircraft during the transition, before the W323A P3P was released with 18% less video power. Those are rare as hens' teeth, but a good proof of concept. You can have your cake and eat it, too! Best video at long range, and 10% more flying time than the original W323, without any battery mod, and 10% more on any battery mod!

Ok thanks.So the problem
New motors and boards were placed on the original W323 P3P high power video output aircraft during the transition, before the W323A P3P was released with 18% less video power. Those are rare as hens' teeth, but a good proof of concept. You can have your cake and eat it, too! Best video at long range, and 10% more flying time than the original W323, without any battery mod, and 10% more on any battery mod!
So the problem is the lightbridge module.I have an old P3P and a new P3A and i'm thinking to replace the camera and the lightbridge module also.

Ok thanks.So the problem

So the problem is the lightbridge module.I have an old P3P and a new P3A and i'm thinking to replace the camera and the lightbridge module also.
Not sure. I really can't say where the video power outputs are controlled from on the different versions. Could be in the antenna or in some other circuitry, or just a firmware setting. That's the mystery. I just know what the FCC ID# power outputs are on each, and, for me, they correspond to the range performance of each. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Just try it and see.

I had the same issue with Best Buy!! They have no clue between the different models. I took it back. Just ordered from DJI directly. No purchase protection. But hope I won't need it!!!

I read here somewhere yesterday that some guy got his from DJI China recently and when it arrived it had old shell and old motors ???, I was going to get mine from DJI China for £698. but after reading about what you might get I've decided to get mine from a UK dealer after asking what I'm getting for my money.

Really? I have never seen new motors with old boards. AFAIK the new motors only are compatible with the new boards.
I have seen old motors with the new shell, but they have the old boards. I have never seen new motors with old boards.

Reactions: dirtybum
Not sure. I really can't say where the video power outputs are controlled from on the different versions. Could be in the antenna or in some other circuitry, or just a firmware setting. That's the mystery. I just know what the FCC ID# power outputs are on each, and, for me, they correspond to the range performance of each. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Just try it and see.
Ok thanks.I think there are not any other circuit boards inside the phantom just the central board, the lightbridge module and the ultrasonic sensor.As an RF technician i believe the power output is controlled only by the lightbridge module,I will try to replace it and i will let you know.

Really? I have never seen new motors with old boards. AFAIK the new motors only are compatible with the new boards.
I have seen old motors with the new shell, but they have the old boards. I have never seen new motors with old boards.
New motors require new boards, but the old motor bird video power outputs may have initially been maintained, to use the same FCC ID # for the W323 in the transition, until completely changing over to the W323A, when they were reduced by 18%. That was what I was referring to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj