Old Motors vs. New Ones

Anyone know what version of the Phantom 3 Professional Amazon (Germany) is shipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't believe this thread is still going. Flown them both, side by side. There's absolutely no meaningful difference.

Ok I know this thread has been beaten to death, but I need to make a decision quickly and want some advice. I got a P3A as a gift on the 25th. It was fairly old stock which was somewhat disappointing (1.19 firmware, old shell, old style motors). It is possible for me to exchange it for a new style P3A. The older style is working very well for me. My questions:

1. Are the new motors less or more powerful that the originals? Opinions seem to vary, but not sure I want to give up thrust unless it is worth it. For example if the original motors will get me out of a high gust that pops up at altitude but the new ones wont which is better? KV is complicated but it would appear that the old style has more torque but less rpm when combined with prop. Opinions?

2. Does the new shell seem to be helping with the crack issues?

3. I have a set of the plastic reinforcement plates from UAV bits, are they worth using?

4. Last and most important is it worth swapping them? I can do it, but it will require me to have some money tied up for at least 2-3 weeks during shipment/refund processing.

Thanks for the incredibly supportive group here. Very nice community, and I have quite a few hobbies. The only I have found that is similar is the acousticguitarforum.com

Ok I know this thread has been beaten to death, but I need to make a decision quickly and want some advice. I got a P3A as a gift on the 25th. It was fairly old stock which was somewhat disappointing (1.19 firmware, old shell, old style motors). It is possible for me to exchange it for a new style P3A. The older style is working very well for me. My questions:

1. Are the new motors less or more powerful that the originals? Opinions seem to vary, but not sure I want to give up thrust unless it is worth it. For example if the original motors will get me out of a high gust that pops up at altitude but the new ones wont which is better? KV is complicated but it would appear that the old style has more torque but less rpm when combined with prop. Opinions?

2. Does the new shell seem to be helping with the crack issues?

3. I have a set of the plastic reinforcement plates from UAV bits, are they worth using?

4. Last and most important is it worth swapping them? I can do it, but it will require me to have some money tied up for at least 2-3 weeks during shipment/refund processing.

Thanks for the incredibly supportive group here. Very nice community, and I have quite a few hobbies. The only I have found that is similar is the acousticguitarforum.com
Hi sir. All 4 of your questions have been controversial and contentious here. You would likely see completely different answers to each. For me personally, it's not worth going through the swap process, but if it's something that will just bother your peace of mind then you should do it.

There are a few on here who would love a Phantom that still had 1.1.9. Maybe you could sell it for a premium!

Reactions: JoBe
Hi sir. All 4 of your questions have been controversial and contentious here. You would likely see completely different answers to each. For me personally, it's not worth going through the swap process, but if it's something that will just bother your peace of mind then you should do it.

There are a few on here who would love a Phantom that still had 1.1.9. Maybe you could sell it for a premium!

I upgraded it to latest firmware. The primary reason of concern is the possible cracking issue and how slow DJI is should it develop cracks. So far no sign with 2 hours of flight time and I have the reinforcement plates.

Wish I had known about the 1.19 deal I might have tried to sell it for a premium.

I think it probably makes sense to keep the more powerful motors and upgrade the shell if cracks develop. I suppose its unlikely to happen and if it does DJI will handle hopefully more quickly than in the past (or I could do it myself, it looks pretty easy).

Last edited:
FWIW and to add another 2 cents of opinion. :) I'm somewhat new to the whole discussion as I just recently got my P3A from B&H (with the last month) and it came with the older motors (B&H is checking with distributor as to why inventory they receive may be that old).. That said (and the rest is all personal opinion and thoughts), I think I prefer the older motors. Just some thoughts to throw out.. The "new" motors are the ones that came on the Standard (which is the entry and least expensive Phantom). With the intro of the P4, I understand the need to smooth out production. The probably had to retool a line to start up production of the P4 motors. I think, like some others, that the 2312 is a bit sturdier housing, it appears to have a greater air path on top to allow for any internal heat to escape as well.. From the pictures the bearing looks to be larger on the 2312. If, as some have said, Kv and RPM are related (which I also believe they are), it would make sense that lesser RPM could help battery life, but I'm not sure how it generates more power?? Lastly, companies usually retool to cut costs, not increase them. DJI seemed to have to make a choice.. Keep the line making the motors in the A and P models and start shipping Standards with that motor, or do the reverse and ship A and P models with S motors. If expense is/was a factor, it seems they chose to go with the S motors.. Again, this is all speculation.. There are supposed to be no flight characteristic differences.. Just piecing things the way I see them going.. Think I may just concentrate on some spare 2312 motors. :) Hate to think they'd be out of stock elsewhere and have to send the bird in to DJI..

Not to mention that the video signal cuts out sooner on the "new motors" vs same flight path with "old motors"
Anyone else experience this first hand?

Thanks for sharing. This was indeed and old post! I agree that DJI, might have changed the motors to save money on production. Any increase on performance came second.

There is one other thought that came to mind. With the ESC on the main board instead of associated with the motors, any burnout there (if it were to happen) would mean a close to $300 part from DJI vs. a $16 motor..

Not to mention that the video signal cuts out sooner on the "new motors" vs same flight path with "old motors"
Absolutely! 18% less video power on the W323A and 30% less video power W323B vs. the old motor W323, and the video drop outs are linearly related to those power differences, using the FPVLR v2 mod with boosters! Only upside is about 3 min more flight time, but if you can't see where you are going, it's a real problem!

Last edited:
Absolutely! 18% less video power on the W323A and 30% less video power W323B vs. the old motor W323, and the video drop outs are linearly related to those power differences, using the FPVLR v2 mod with boosters! Only upside is about 3 min more flight time, but if you can't see where you are going, it's a real problem!
I'm curious if you've compared the P3 stats to the P4 and where the P4 fits in with regard to signal strength? It would be interesting to know if they've kept the wings clipped on the P4s.

I'm curious if you've compared the P3 stats to the P4 and where the P4 fits in with regard to signal strength? It would be interesting to know if they've kept the wings clipped on the P4s.
They have! The P4 power outputs on both the transmitter and the aircraft, according to the FCC specs, are each 20% less than on the original P3P W323 and GL300A, so 20% less control range and 20% less video range!

P4:

WM330A P4 Aircraft (Video Signal)
FCC ID: 2AHAY-WM3301601 .598 Watts v. 0.746 Watts on P3P W323 (80%)

GL300C
P4 Transmitter (Control Signal)
FCC ID: SS3-GL3001510 .303 Watts v. 0.380 Watts on P3P GL300A (80%)

The good news is that there is a very real possibilty that a GL300A transmitter modded with FPVLR v2 with booster amps may work with the P4. However, that will only help with the control range. It won't help much with the video instability caused by a loss of 20% of the power output from the aircraft which is received by the transmitter, which is already apparent on the W323A P3P, which has 18% less video power output than the original W323 with original motors.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtybum

Yes !! My advanced with old motors has solid signal out 3-4km in the city ... The pro I have with new motors loses signal at around 2km

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dirtybum
a1baf5211017fa803c0ce25dd1b8ba4e.jpg
so the ones on the left are the old and the ones on the right are new? just double checking thanks

a1baf5211017fa803c0ce25dd1b8ba4e.jpg
so the ones on the left are the old and the ones on the right are new? just double checking thanks

Correct

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl