NON level takeoff

Reaction score
I have searched but have not found anything on this. Hopefully someone can answer my question.

Up at my cabin the ground is not necessarily level. Not terribly off level but it could be several degrees.

What can I expect if I try to take off from say a 3deg slant? Will the quad just do it with no drama? Will it take off sideways and I must compensate quickly?

And then same question on landing on same.

Will I turn into a zombie and terrorize the earth ? :confused:

Thanks.

Marc

Taking off won't be a problem. Per the usual, make sure you take off at full throttle. I wouldn't advise anyone knowingly attempt to land on unlevel surfaces. Your Phantom could tip over.

Reactions: bobmyers
I have searched but have not found anything on this. Hopefully someone can answer my question.

Up at my cabin the ground is not necessarily level. Not terribly off level but it could be several degrees.

What can I expect if I try to take off from say a 3deg slant? Will the quad just do it with no drama? Will it take off sideways and I must compensate quickly?

And then same question on landing on same.

Will I turn into a zombie and terrorize the earth ? :confused:

Thanks.

Marc
You should try to launch from a level spot-- if possible. 3 degrees is not much-- that should be ok-- are your sure that it is 3 degrees or is it more. if you can see that it is out of level-- I would be concerned. you can hand launch it and hand catch it if there are no good areas or use one of the take-off landing platforms if you level it. The Phantoms are prone to tip over when taking off and landing if the area is not relatively level.. any tip over will destroy a couple of props.

Just to add, you can even take off from your hands so a slight tilt shouldn't matter. I'll second DUI throttle, and hold the base with your hand when arming if you worry the initial thrust might tip the phantom

Thanks all. That gives me an idea what to expect. Will be installing prop guards LOL:

Here is what the front yard looks like. :D Looking up.

DSC02011.jpg

Looking down:

cabinview1.jpg

I might have to build a semi level platform.

Marc

That looks like a fantastic place to fly! A slight slant shouldn't be a problem, but if you can level it out a bit, that would be best. Even just a wooden board propped up with a couple of rocks or something.

I am going to have to pay special attention to the failsafe return home altitude up here.

I would hate to take off down below, get up one of the ridges, have failsafe kick in and slam the quad into the ground :mad:

I am going to have to pay special attention to the failsafe return home altitude up here.

I would hate to take off down below, get up one of the ridges, have failsafe kick in and slam the quad into the ground :mad:
The RTH altitude will be set and it will reference your Home elevation -- so it you set RTH at 200 feet, it will be two hundred feet above were you took off from.

Be sure that you are taking off and landing where you don't have a lot of dirt and dust that could collect in the motors.. Looks like a great place to fly:)

I just read this response on another thread from DJI themselves. I had never heard this before. If it is true then the RTH altitude is not as critical as I thought it was. So this says it will not descend if going into RTH but will ascend.

"If the RTH altitude was set to to 30 feet and your Phantom was at 94 feet, it would have returned to home at 94 feet. The RTH altitude is only used if your Phantom is below that altitude."

I just read this response on another thread from DJI themselves. I had never heard this before. If it is true then the RTH altitude is not as critical as I thought it was. So this says it will not descend if going into RTH but will ascend.

"If the RTH altitude was set to to 30 feet and your Phantom was at 94 feet, it would have returned to home at 94 feet. The RTH altitude is only used if your Phantom is below that altitude."
Correct. That's the point. If you're flying at 300' it'll keep at that height until home base. If it's below the minimum level it will ascend first.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl