News Helicopter vs Drone

Those guys were friggin idiots! So worried about TV ratings. What if the pieces of those copters landed on a school! If anything, the FAA should be cracking down on those types of idiot pilots.
Name calling doesn't do anyone any good. Have you read the NTSB report on the crash and determined in the absence of any other information decided that both dead pilots were idiots? Do you know that there was not a malfunction in one of the copters?

Because the location was very close to the Phoenix Airport, the pilots had to get permission from the Phoenix tower.

At 12:23 p.m. a police helicopter gained permission to enter air space at 1,800 feet over the downtown Phoenix area in response to the car jacking and the ensuing police car chase.

Three minutes later, Channel 15 [one of the crashed copters] obtained permission to enter the same air space – at 2,000 feet. Within 30 seconds, Channel 12’s helicopter came in at 2,500 feet.

At 12:34, a new controller came on duty at the Sky Harbor control tower. Less than a minute later, the Channel 5 chopper joined the media frenzy at 2,200 feet. Channel 3 [the other copter in the crash] was also en route, just 70 seconds behind.

At 12:44, the Channel 10 helicopter joined the chopper swarm and less than two minutes later reported a mid-air collision.

Five news helicopters were covering the story. Some were on air at the time. They were all using Sharp Echo, a system that required them to use one frequency, to communicate changes in position or intentions.

Could the ATC controller change 2-minutes and 10 seconds before the collision be a factor?

There's a lot of factors to be considered before you call both pilots "friggin idiots". So, just what is the FAA supposed to crack down on?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
LA is like Apocalypse Now. Seeing a helo doing something stupid is a daily occurence. It's only a matter of time before one goes down into houses, an apt building and/or pedestrians. Which is ironic. Consider all the attention drones get.

Thank you. You made the first valid point that I didn't think of. He may not know I'm there.
I'm not sure why you're so passionate about getting the shot anyway. If you're not getting paid for the shot why does it matter? Get the heck out and let the news guy get the shot he's being paid to do.

Actually it's not clear. I'm hearing mixed things, not only on this board but elsewhere. It's like saying Fox News shows up to an accident first so no other media can be there. I'm not talking about regular air traffic, I'm talking about a news copter purposefully entering into already occupied space.
You are just being obtuse.
There's nothing unclear about what you've been told here.
Your argument makes as much sense as ... I'm minding my own business driving the wrong way down the freeway at 3am and anyone else should get out of my way .. I was here first!!

Name calling doesn't do anyone any good. Have you read the NTSB report on the crash and determined in the absence of any other information decided that both dead pilots were idiots? Do you know that there was not a malfunction in one of the copters?

Because the location was very close to the Phoenix Airport, the pilots had to get permission from the Phoenix tower.

At 12:23 p.m. a police helicopter gained permission to enter air space at 1,800 feet over the downtown Phoenix area in response to the car jacking and the ensuing police car chase.

Three minutes later, Channel 15 [one of the crashed copters] obtained permission to enter the same air space – at 2,000 feet. Within 30 seconds, Channel 12’s helicopter came in at 2,500 feet.

At 12:34, a new controller came on duty at the Sky Harbor control tower. Less than a minute later, the Channel 5 chopper joined the media frenzy at 2,200 feet. Channel 3 [the other copter in the crash] was also en route, just 70 seconds behind.

At 12:44, the Channel 10 helicopter joined the chopper swarm and less than two minutes later reported a mid-air collision.

Five news helicopters were covering the story. Some were on air at the time. They were all using Sharp Echo, a system that required them to use one frequency, to communicate changes in position or intentions.

Could the ATC controller change 2-minutes and 10 seconds before the collision be a factor?

There's a lot of factors to be considered before you call both pilots "friggin idiots". So, just what is the FAA supposed to crack down on?
No Steve, they are idiots. The pilots are ultimately responsible for their aircraft, not ATC. Those pilots should have realized it was crowded airspace and just backed off. But no, they have to try and get the shot for TV ratings! I feel strongly about this because on more then one occasion in the past year I've had a few of them over my house shooting an accident scene.

I'm not sure why you're so passionate about getting the shot anyway. If you're not getting paid for the shot why does it matter? Get the heck out and let the news guy get the shot he's being paid to do.

You are just being obtuse.
There's nothing unclear about what you've been told here.
Your argument makes as much sense as ... I'm minding my own business driving the wrong way down the freeway at 3am and anyone else should get out of my way .. I was here first!!

You both sound like sheep. Do you always do what your told? It's just the point that I have every right to that airspace as they do, period!

You both sound like sheep. Do you always do what your told? It's just the point that I have every right to that airspace as they do, period!
You're obviously right.
You have special rights that negate all laws and regulations.
You have judgement that is above that of any other mortal.
You should be given your own airspace and all other aircraft should avoid it.
You have a rare understanding of the issues involved that no-one else could hope to match.
The FAA should bow down to you and make you king of the airways.

You have no idea at all.

You're obviously right.
You have special rights that negate all laws and regulations.
You have judgement that is above that of any other mortal.
You should be given your own airspace and all other aircraft should avoid it.
You have a rare understanding of the issues involved that no-one else could hope to match.
The FAA should bow down to you and make you king of the airways.

You have no idea at all.

You finally figured it out [emoji6] All but the last line. You still sound like a sheep.

Enough about me....back on topic.

You finally figured it out [emoji6] All but the last line. You still sound like a sheep.

People that think they are above rules and regulations are the ones that end up ruining it for everyone. You don't change rules by breaking them,,if you want to change the rules, go hire a law firm to lobby for easier regulations,,because it looks like much more limiting rules are working their way through congress in September.

Call your congressman and senator,,and don't call and say "we think we should have the right to do x and y' call with a specific purpose,,give them (staff is who you will be talking to) examples of what is positive with drones and how they will help people. Let them know we aren't a bunch of grown men with expensive toys trying to 'stand our ground".

I don't think it's fair to say that people who think differently than you do are "sheep" - While I think a lot of us fiercely defend our independence as human beings we also recognize that we are naturally part of a community and choosing your battles is part of that dynamic.

Just because some of us believe that our "right" to the airspace doesn't outweigh the safety of others, doesn't make us sheep... we are thinking for ourselves... we just have a different opinion and that opinion is informed by our concern for the safety of the pilots and the people on the ground.

Those guys were friggin idiots! So worried about TV ratings. What if the pieces of those copters landed on a school! If anything, the FAA should be cracking down on those types of idiot pilots.
That's a little harsh. They made a mistake and paid for it.

Reactions: 750r
That's a little harsh. They made a mistake and paid for it.
They sure did. I'm being harsh because I think they were being irresponsible. They were just thinking about ratings and not the people on the ground below them.

They where not paying attention I agree but like said above they paid the Ultimate price .
We all make mistakes that is how we learn and we learn from others mistakes . I hate the media do I want them dead no would like to smack around a few ;)

Reactions: Youngbill
People that think they are above rules and regulations are the ones that end up ruining it for everyone. You don't change rules by breaking them,,if you want to change the rules, go hire a law firm to lobby for easier regulations,,because it looks like much more limiting rules are working their way through congress in September.

Call your congressman and senator,,and don't call and say "we think we should have the right to do x and y' call with a specific purpose,,give them (staff is who you will be talking to) examples of what is positive with drones and how they will help people. Let them know we aren't a bunch of grown men with expensive toys trying to 'stand our ground".
Andy- I fully understand how things work. I started this post as a topic of debate and some people get their knickers in a knot. I am however the type of person to give pushback when rules are bull$hit and or self serving. I won't go off on a tangent about government overreach, but if you can't see that then your blind.

For the record, I do follow the FAA guidelines while flying....for the most part.

You are wasting your time, he's too smart for you:confused:

Andy- I fully understand how things work. I started this post as a topic of debate and some people get their knickers in a knot. I am however the type of person to give pushback when rules are bull$hit and or self serving. I won't go off on a tangent about government overreach, but if you can't see that then your blind.

For the record, I do follow the FAA guidelines while flying....for the most part.
" I do follow the FAA guidelines while flying" and I own a bridge in Lake Havasu that's for sale...

An example of Why some should not operate quadrotors or any RC aircraft for that matter....ya just don't get it, and if you haven't by now, you probably never will.
Maybe switch to ground based camera systems like an RC truck or tank.

You ahve any experience with any RC hobby before the quad, just curious...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31