News Helicopter vs Drone

Reaction score
Let's say there is a news worthy event (not a forest fire) and I'm flying my drone to get shots for the local newspaper(not for money) and along comes a news copter trying to get similar shots. Now I understand I should yield to manned aircraft but in this situation I think the first on scene should have right of way. What do you guys think?

I understand the whole forest fire issue but this is not the same.

Reactions: BrianG-PH
So why should the guy with the expensive copter get the shot and not me? In the forest fire situation, the manned aircraft were called off. Why should the news copter not be called off? Doesn't seem fair. Why shouldn't the manned aircraft be responsible and safe and leave the area?

So why should the guy with the expensive copter get the shot and not me? In the forest fire situation, the manned aircraft were called off. Why should the news copter not be called off? Doesn't seem fair. Why shouldn't the manned aircraft be responsible and safe and leave the area?
The "Manned" aircraft has right of way because it is manned and yours is not. they have a lot more to lose should an accident happen. Namely their lives. So yes the current and common sense rule is you must yield to a manned aircraft at all times.

Because it's no longer a question of who was there first or who gets the best photos... it's a question of a life vs $1000 drone. It may not be fair in some ways but somethings go beyond being fair.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Your missing my point. I'm already on scene filming, the news copter then shows up. He's not flying through the area, he wants to be where I am. Why isn't it his responsibility to turn around and leave. If he stays, HE is the one making an unsafe choice.

I get the whole "Right of way" thing but this is different. He does not NEED to be in that area, he CHOOSES to be in that area.

I totally see your point, but the news helo may not know you're there.

Your missing my point. I'm already on scene filming, the news copter then shows up. He's not flying through the area, he wants to be where I am. Why isn't it his responsibility to turn around and leave. If he stays, HE is the one making an unsafe choice.

I get the whole "Right of way" thing but this is different. He does not NEED to be in that area, he CHOOSES to be in that area.
No you're missing my point. If they show up you get out of their way period. If you don't and you and them collide you are liable for the crash and damages. Including the death of the pilot/s and all on board. Your unmanned hobby toy is not in any way going to get the right of way in the eyes of the FAA or anyone for that matter. Please fly responsible. This is serious and I hope you take it that way.

International navigation laws, and FAA regs don't take into account who has "first dibs" on a news story. Manned aircraft has the highest priority for right-of-way -vs- drones.

Let's say there is a news worthy event (not a forest fire) and I'm flying my drone to get shots for the local newspaper(not for money) and along comes a news copter trying to get similar shots. Now I understand I should yield to manned aircraft but in this situation I think the first on scene should have right of way. What do you guys think?

I understand the whole forest fire issue but this is not the same.
And that's why the FAA is right to require licensing for UAV operators.

No you're missing my point. If they show up you get out of their way period. If you don't and you and them collide you are liable for the crash and damages. Including the death of the pilot/s and all on board. Your unmanned hobby toy is not in any way going to get the right of way in the eyes of the FAA or anyone for that matter. Please fly responsible. This is serious and I hope you take it that way.
They have no more right being in a place then I do, period. It's one thing for an aircraft that is flying from point A to point B. In this case he is deciding to fly low into a specific area for the sole purpose of making money.

For what it's worth, I do fly responsible. This is all hypothetical. What got me thinking was there was a bad accident near my house and there were no less the 5 news copters circling overhead. I was actually thinking, what if two of these guys collided and fall on my house.

They have no more right being in a place then I do, period. It's one thing for an aircraft that is flying from point A to point B. In this case he is deciding to fly low into a specific area for the sole purpose of making money.

For what it's worth, I do fly responsible. This is all hypothetical. What got me thinking was there was a bad accident near my house and there were no less the 5 news copters circling overhead. I was actually thinking, what if two of these guys collided and fall on my house.
"They have no more right being in a place then I do, period. " You are not correct. They operate in the National Airspace System under FAA rules, and are trained to do so. They are talking to each other, Visual Flight Rules (VFR) . In addition, in many areas news chopper pilots have cooperative agreements as to procedures they follow in congested areas of news event, such as altitude differential based on order of arrival. Licensed pilots know that, that's why UAV operators should not be allowed to fly any higher than their backyard until they are licensed = trained. You don't know what you don't know until you know it.

Reactions: BigAl07

Please don't take my comment as rude or trying to pick a fight. I am seriously not. The "I was there first" attitude is exactly why there will be some high restrictions on the use of hobby drones in my opinion. Yes they are all flying above your house but do you have a way to communicate to them that you are at a certain spot and altitude like they do each other? No. They would be guessing where you are and would likely run into your drone. Human life will always take precedence over a machine. This will never change and therefore they will always have the right to the airspace before you do even if you were there first. I'm not saying you are not a safe flyer but your question posed the insinuation that you feel you should have the right to the airspace and if you do or did that is a serious safety issue and I would rather speak up than to let something happen. I hope you understand what I am talking about.

Reactions: Youngbill

Youngbill didn't give any indication he was doing or intending to do anything irresponsible. Sounded like a hypothetical question to me.

Please don't take my comment as rude or trying to pick a fight. I am seriously not. The "I was there first" attitude is exactly why there will be some high restrictions on the use of hobby drones in my opinion. Yes they are all flying above your house but do you have a way to communicate to them that you are at a certain spot and altitude like they do each other? No. They would be guessing where you are and would likely run into your drone. Human life will always take precedence over a machine. This will never change and therefore they will always have the right to the airspace before you do even if you were there first. I'm not saying you are not a safe flyer but your question posed the insinuation that you feel you should have the right to the airspace and if you do or did that is a serious safety issue and I would rather speak up than to let something happen. I hope you understand what I am talking about.
No you gone did it! Trying to educate and use reason.:D

Reactions: Utah Drone Imaging

He shouldn't, but he (the news helo) was there first. By first, I don't mean for this particular event, but news helicopters have been getting the images for a lot longer than UAVs and they're not going to happily carve out a slice of "their" airspace for hobby drones.

Reactions: Youngbill

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4