News Helicopter vs Drone

He shouldn't, but he was there first. By first, I don't mean for this particular event, but news helicopters have been getting the images for a lot longer than UAVs and they're not going to happily carve out a slice of "their" airspace for hobby drones.
It has nothing to do with that in my opinion. My local news company has requested my 333, business license and insurance and they have their own heli at their disposal. It is about safety and that's it.

So why should the guy with the expensive copter get the shot and not me? In the forest fire situation, the manned aircraft were called off. Why should the news copter not be called off? Doesn't seem fair. Why shouldn't the manned aircraft be responsible and safe and leave the area?

Because his life could be at risk from you if you collide with a full scale craft. If a full scale craft hits your drone you are still OK.
The guy in the helo has clearance from air traffic control, you on the other hand do not.

He shouldn't, but he (the news helo) was there first. By first, I don't mean for this particular event, but news helicopters have been getting the images for a lot longer than UAVs and they're not going to happily carve out a slice of "their" airspace for hobby drones.
Your post makes no logical sense.

Your post makes no logical sense.

Sorry about the ambiguity. I meant my post as a response to Youngbill's question: "why should the guy with the expensive copter get the shot and not me?"

It has nothing to do with that in my opinion. My local news company has requested my 333, business license and insurance and they have their own heli at their disposal. It is about safety and that's it.
Don't fool yourself, it's about the money, everything's about the money. . It's cheaper to use you then their helicopter. And yes, they don't want to be outdone by a drone getting a shot that their $1500 an hour helicopter didn't get. They will claim right of way over a drone just so they can get paid.

Reactions: Steve vaughan
If you're looking to be a stringer with a drone, you should seriously reconsider it. There is no protocol for you to operate safely with a helo (or other emergency services) near by. How do you know what the helo is? It could be news or it could be emergency services.

Worth mentioning, helo pilots have a little game called "Sink the Drone". The way it works is they fly above your drone and your drone plummets. I've seen it at the beach twice now.

If you're looking to be a stringer with a drone, you should seriously reconsider it. There is no protocol for you to operate safely with a helo (or other emergency services) near by. How do you know what the helo is? It could be news or it could be emergency services.

Worth mentioning, helo pilots have a little game called "Sink the Drone". The way it works is they fly above your drone and your drone plummets. I've seen it at the beach twice now.
Interesting. If this were to happen to me after I received my 333 and I was operating legally and under 400 ft. following all rules and the chopper clearly went out of its way to "pursue" my UAV I'd file a complaint with the FAA, ensuring I grab any witnesses available and get their info for a civil suit to recoup my loss. If the FAA is going to make me fly legally and register my UAV, and jump through all the hoops, then I expect that chopper pilot to be investigated for endangering another aircraft and the public below.:D.

Interesting. If this were to happen to me after I received my 333 and I was operating legally and under 400 ft. following all rules and the chopper clearly went out of its way to "pursue" my UAV I'd file a complaint with the FAA, ensuring I grab any witnesses available and get their info for a civil suit to recoup my loss. If the FAA is going to make me fly legally and register my UAV, and jump through all the hoops, then I expect that chopper pilot to be investigated for endangering another aircraft and the public below.:D.

Agree. Gotta get the N number though.

I had a film copter for Furious 7 try to do it to my P2 which wasn't even 100ft AGL. Had to hover right next to the building to avoid his downdraft. Psychotic pilot was 50ft from the roof of my office. Reported him. Nothing. Apparently, the FAA rep was on-site during the shoot and said the helo did nothing wrong. Yeah. Right.

............ Worth mentioning, helo pilots have a little game called "Sink the Drone". The way it works is they fly above your drone and your drone plummets. I've seen it at the beach twice now.
Splash one! I can see the irrational exuberance on their faces lol! I think they know their demise is near.................... going the way of the buggy whip, another antiquated industry replaced by technology. Not totally, maybe, but largely.

Reactions: Youngbill

They will hang themselves playing games like that especially when a complaint is filed in court and the FAA has been stating safety as their main priority. Either the FAA will fine the heli pilots or the courts will start siding with drone owners. Should be interesting to see if this is ever brought to light.

It's your job to get out of his way, not his job to get out of yours,,just the rules, and they won't change because of the difference of a manned vehicle vs a unmanned vehicle. If he flies over your drone, by the rules, you were not suppose to be there..these are just the rules,,doesn't matter if we agree with them or not

Agree. Gotta get the N number though.

I had a film copter for Furious 7 try to do it to my P2 which wasn't even 100ft AGL. Had to hover right next to the building to avoid his downdraft. Psychotic pilot was 50ft from the roof of my office. Reported him. Nothing. Apparently, the FAA rep was on-site during the shoot and said the helo did nothing wrong. Yeah. Right.

Now you guys are confusing me. First it was - Get out of the airspace at all cost. Now it's - With my 333 and legally under 400ft, and Only 100 AGL.

So what is the legal height the news copters have to stay above? If it's 500 AGL and I'm able to get shots at 100 AGL, I don't see the problem.

If a copter pilot were to pursue a drone and then crash, how can that be the drone operators fault?

I think news copter pilots are a dying breed. Once the FAA sets the rules, why would any news station pay the ridiculous fees to keep a copter operating when they could own a fleet of drones.

This thread reminds me of the 2014 hit movie Nightcrawler. If you haven't seen it, and you want to post to this thread, watch the movie first, then you can post.

So Nightcrawler up in here.

The News helicopters have to maintain a safe distance from whatever (stay out of the way), they do not have to stay above 500'. The new helicopters aren't going anywhere, they are fast and can cover a very large area, with the rules limiting commercial fight to line of sight for drones, helicopters aren't going anywhere

Now you guys are confusing me. First it was - Get out of the airspace at all cost. Now it's - With my 333 and legally under 400ft, and Only 100 AGL.

So what is the legal height the news copters have to stay above? If it's 500 AGL and I'm able to get shots at 100 AGL, I don't see the problem.

If a copter pilot were to pursue a drone and then crash, how can that be the drone operators fault?

I think news copter pilots are a dying breed. Once the FAA sets the rules, why would any news station pay the ridiculous fees to keep a copter operating when they could own a fleet of drones.

This is taken directly out of a 333 Exemption letter ,

"Failure to comply with any of the conditions and limitations of this grant of exemption will be grounds for the immediate suspension or rescission of this exemption.

# 24. The UA must remain clear and give way to all manned aviation operations and activities at all times."

Reactions: Buckaye

I can see your logic in using drones but at the current moment you are required to get out of the way of ANY manned aircraft. This includes if they are above you. Not to mention you don't really want to be under a heli unless you want to crash your drone. There is no limit to how low a heli can fly. These rules might not make sense to you or even sound fair but the bottom line is, You must get out of the way and if there is a heli in the same area you must land your drone. If you choose not to do this then we will see you on the news and later in court when they use you as an example of how the hobby of drone flying should be banned.

They will hang themselves playing games like that especially when a complaint is filed in court and the FAA has been stating safety as their main priority. Either the FAA will fine the heli pilots or the courts will start siding with drone owners. Should be interesting to see if this is ever brought to light.
Somewhere on the forum is a video showing a police helo trying to force a quad down into the river in a park. I wasn't able to locate it but there are plenty of examples of this tactic on film and it hasn't bothered the FAA yet.

Reactions: Youngbill

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20