News Helicopter vs Drone

Youngbill.
u are way out of line on this one.
You should always give the right of way to Maned Aircraft.
no questions asked.
lives come first no matter what.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Youngbill.
u are way out of line on this one.
You should always give the right of way to Maned Aircraft.
no questions asked.
lives come first no matter what.
The debate is over, you're too late to the party. (Do yourself a favor a read the entire thread before you make a comment and tell me I'm out of line). The forum nannies have already shown they cannot have an open debate. I've said on more then one post, this is all hypothetical and that I follow the guidelines ( other then flying at night).

Last night in Hollywood, some clever guy put his drone too close to an LAPD helicopter while it was conducting a search for someone on the ground.

drone-incident.jpg

Police Investigate Drone Interference With LAPD Helicopter in Hollywood

Reactions: GoodnNuff and 750r
As long as you can communicate with the other manned pilots and have clearance with FAA/Transport Canada or other governing authorities in whatever country, you can have first dibs. But make sure your altitude and route is well known to others. But seriously, if you are flying and you see helicopters coming, just descend and ground your craft. They have better cameras and they can do a much better job at getting the proper footage. When news craft is not on scene, you are obviously the best we have and it would be nice for you to call the authorities and help them with information you are gathering.

It's team work and not a competition on who gets where first and for how long.

Your missing my point. I'm already on scene filming, the news copter then shows up. He's not flying through the area, he wants to be where I am. Why isn't it his responsibility to turn around and leave. If he stays, HE is the one making an unsafe choice.

I get the whole "Right of way" thing but this is different. He does not NEED to be in that area, he CHOOSES to be in that area.

The point is, the manned craft has right of way over the unmanned craft. That is the only thing that matters in this instance. You are equally choosing to be there, and you have no more right of ownership of the airspace as anyone else. Since neither party has right of ownership, it comes down to who has to yield to who.
If you don't understand what right of way means, they will explain it when you start taking lessons for your driver's licence.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The debate is over, you're too late to the party. (Do yourself a favor a read the entire thread before you make a comment and tell me I'm out of line). The forum nannies have already shown they cannot have an open debate. I've said on more then one post, this is all hypothetical and that I follow the guidelines ( other then flying at night).
Without me this thread would be boring!

"WIthout me this thread would have been boring" You got that right Young Bill.

I enjoyed your thoughtful questions and remarks. I spent a whole bunch of years in TV news Field Opns. Hanging out of Bell Long Rangers in the winter without a Tyler mount and 2 seat belts with the handle releases gaffer taped together. Ha! And I was Manager News Operations at NBC4 in Wash DC and Assit DIrector of Opns in LA where we had not 1 not2 but a 3rd back up manned aircraft. ------

If I'm on a News scene with a DJI Phantom III as one of my tools. I'm going to use it. I am going to cover the story as it happens. I am not going to be "big footed" by some regulation written in Washington DC that says a Corporation owned aircraft because it has a manned crew get's air space priority. I'm going to talk to the manned organization on the phone, I'm going to see if we can achieve air to ground comms I'm going to try to parcel out the airspace in a cooperative manner on the scene. Or work out a Footage sharing agreement with the group. (This is a long standing practice in Los Angeles TV Stations) But what I am not going to do is be denied the use of one of my tools over some petty FAA regulation. Now the Orange Vest crowd loves to shout safety and rules and regulations. But I'm from the "old school". Get the story shot. That's what you're there for. work around the rules, get collaborative efforts. or break the rules to achieve your goal. (with full awareness of the consequences)

Cover the Story. And if you're on the scene of a news event with your Inspire overhead in my eyes you are an "Equal" player on the scene.

Cheers,
Mike Whatley
Charlottesville, Va.

Reactions: Youngbill
They have no more right being in a place then I do, period. It's one thing for an aircraft that is flying from point A to point B. In this case he is deciding to fly low into a specific area for the sole purpose of making money.

For what it's worth, I do fly responsible. This is all hypothetical. What got me thinking was there was a bad accident near my house and there were no less the 5 news copters circling overhead. I was actually thinking, what if two of these guys collided and fall on my house.
They have collided! I remember watching the news that day live. These guys crashed into what I think is called Steel Indian School Park. A park!! And they worry about Phantom drone pilots. Aircraft has always been falling out of the skies and always will, killing people. Commercial aircraft is always losing large parts over cities and then you never hear about it again the day after. And everyone is pissed at our plastic 2 pond hobby. So... every model airplane,helicopter,drone,foam glider and kite pilot needs a license?

Last edited:
How in the world did that second chopper not SEE the one he crashed into?! I mean, they can see my "toy" at 10000 feet! Looked to be really booking it to get there so as not to miss anything. After watching those videos, I'm seriously thinking of starting a petition to Congress to prohibit all helicopter flights over populated areas.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Youngbill
How in the world did that second chopper not SEE the one he crashed into?! I mean, they can see my "toy" at 10000 feet! Looked to be really booking it to get there so as not to miss anything. After watching those videos, I'm seriously thinking of starting a petition to Congress to prohibit all helicopter flights over populated areas.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro
Could you imagine if they landed on a school or office building!! That was pure luck they fell into that park, look at all the buildings around.

Refer to: FAA Regulations Part 91 "VFR" (Visual Flight Rules).
The "see and avoid" concept prevails. It would be nearly impossible for a manned aircraft to see your drone and be able to maneuver to avoid collision. So far, the FAA has permitted us to fly drones without requiring Transponder devices. An encoding transponder allows an aircraft's position to be displayed on other airplanes' TCAS (Terminal Collision Avoidance System) display and also enhances its presentation on ATC (Air Traffic Control) radar systems. They greatly enhance safety. They are quite expensive, so the requirement would be very detrimental to the small drone business/hobby. We must make all efforts to be responsible and safe at all times. If there are accidents or incidents, the FAA will surely step in and trust me; you don't want that.

It would be nearly impossible for a manned aircraft to see your drone and be able to maneuver to avoid collision.

Do you follow and news? Unless all the pilots that have been reporting drone sightings are bull$hitting everyone, I find that hard to believe. Most of these sightings have been from fast moving passenger aircraft. If they can see them, I'm sure a hovering news copter can.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl