Newly installed Litchi: "DISCONNECTED" What?!

Reaction score
(FIRSTLY, before making a new thread, I really have researched this issue and come up empty-handed)

I've been very successfully flying my Phantom 3 since June of 2015 with zero issues at all from aircraft, controller, Android Tablet, firmware -- anything at all. A lucky man indeed. Now, being excited to use the Mission Hub and other features, I've installed Litchi which is known to be okay with my setup. Great....BUT.

I cannot even get started from my kitchen table. With WiFi turned on and following the recommended first-time use instructions to-the-letter-in-every-way, the Litchi App display says "DISCONNECTED." Why? As mentioned above, everything works quite perfectly when using DJI Go for a long time now. I re-varified that to make sure there was no cable problem. DJI GO is definitely turned off and defaults are cleared etc. I've tried it with USB Debugging both ways - off and on - nothing. I've registered on the Mission Hub, logged-in from the tablet, and done a number of combinations including varying from the sequence of Controller-Aircraft-Plug USB. Nothing... I am in the land of the "DISCONNECTED" (and frustrated).

Can someone please tell me what I am missing here? I'll bet I've overlooked something simple, but can assure you that directions were followed, and Litchi has no issues with my device nor the Android version. All that is good. I'd like to leave the kitchen table and try Litchi outdoors.

Why is your WiFi turned on? The only thing I've got is to reinstall Litchi OR completely uninstall DJI Go and then try Litchi. If that works (uninstalling DJI Go), then you'll know there's a conflict somewhere between the two (even though you've shut down DJI Go).

Why is your WiFi turned on? The only thing I've got is to reinstall Litchi OR completely uninstall DJI Go and then try Litchi. If that works (uninstalling DJI Go), then you'll know there's a conflict somewhere between the two (even though you've shut down DJI Go).

Thanks - the Wifi is on because the "first time use" instructions say that is has to be on so that "DJI servers" can be verified.
Have I misinterpreted something there? I will try it with WiFi off and report if successful.

To be very honest there, I am very reluctant to uninstall/reinstall DJI Go because of two things. Long story made short, I am happy with all the versions for controller, batteries, aircraft, and DJI GO that are onboard now - these work flawlessly well (don't want to introduce any of the many issues mentioned in this forum), AND I cannot remember all the extremely complicated steps in doing so successfully (used to have a recipe/procedure written down with all the bin files and micro SD cards and order of things -- dang, rocket science). Litchi provided an apk that was "supposed" to work with my setup, version 3.8.0.

Last edited:
Just go to the play store select dji go app uninstall Thats it all the other stuff is not relevent To reinstall just hit install:)

Just go to the play store select dji go app uninstall Thats it all the other stuff is not relevent To reinstall just hit install:)

Well, can't really do that for the reasons explained. I have OLD version of DJI GO installed and do not want to update that. Re-installing via the Google Play store will give me version 3.1.3 instead of the well-mannered 2.1.0 I have now that has pretty much all the current features (POI etc) without the issues reported all over this forum. Also, the folks at Litchi provided an apk to me which is supposed to pair well with my older aircraft and controller versions.

NOW neither DJI Go nor Litchi works - "DISCONNECTED"; the controller is not talking to the tablet at all. I'm informed that everything - all of these issues - are the fault of the controller USB receptacle (output module, DJI part #54). This would indicate a poor quality standard receptacle. Really?! Will cost 100 USD to find out. Pretty upset about now.

Have you tried another cable? Tried connecting your tablet to a pc? If it works connected to the pc make sure DJI go isn't the default app (there maybe a background process running hogging the USB port. Try connecting the RC to another device. If another device and cable doesn't work suspect the USB port on the controller.

Have you tried another cable? Tried connecting your tablet to a pc? If it works connected to the pc make sure DJI go isn't the default app (there maybe a background process running hogging the USB port. Try connecting the RC to another device. If another device and cable doesn't work suspect the USB port on the controller.

Other cables have same (non) result. This is VERY sudden - never had a failure to connect between controller and tablet, even for a minute, in the past. It really irks me if indeed it is the USB port - why would DJI use questionable quality there? Besides, the only replacement part for that is 100 USD and has an added HDMI port which I cannot use and do not need. And it is not the charging/data port on the Galaxy Tab Pro tablet - that works fine for both data and charging. Pretty disappointed about right now. Again, now it says DISCONNECTED for BOTH DJI GO and Litchi on the main screens of each app.

Last edited:
Someone with good soldering skills (that may be you) could replace the USB port however it may not be a mechanical issue, it could be some failure in the associated electronics. This is especially likely if you have seldom had cause to remove/install the cable (I can't recall ever unplugging mine at the controller). And yes, more than slightly annoying. It's $100 for the hdmi board, what is dji's price on repairing with the standard board? How far out if warranty are you? You could argue your entitlement to the expectation this issue should not occur even outside warranty. Manufacturers warranties do not override statutory consumer protection laws. I had a mainboard replaced in a MacBook Pro 14 well outside the warranty period at no charge.

DJI Phantom 3 Advanced paperweight. I've very rarely taken the cable out of the controller USB port, and it seems plenty solid. Still, the tablet now believes it is being charged only. All equipment is in top condition and nothing has been replaced or fiddled with. If it matters (could be wild coincidence) this happened only after I installed Litchi (now nothing works). Not Litchi. Not DJI Go. Not the USB cable. And, YES, the controller does talk to the aircraft but what good is that compared to the Apps.

Others have noted that the USB connector solder connections are the weak surface-flow-type solder connections (as opposed to through-the-board), so I carefully removed the port module and looked at everything with a jewelers loop while applying a little movement -- seems very solid.

What a very very expensive paperweight now.

Have you tried another device with the controller.... as you point out it might be a coincidence but the installation of litchi might have screwed with the USB port assignment in your device. I wouldn't do anything untill I was seeing the issue with another tablet/phone.

Have you tried another device with the controller.... as you point out it might be a coincidence but the installation of litchi might have screwed with the USB port assignment in your device. I wouldn't do anything untill I was seeing the issue with another tablet/phone.
Yes, I've tried my Samsung Galaxy S3 Android phone and my wife's iPhone 6S -- BOTH say a device is detected and ask for a choice of what to do.

Ok, so it's probably not the controller then. Good reason why I acquired an iPad Air for my phantoms, the android issues will wear you down eventually. Like apple or not the devices just work properly with DJI.

This just a guess, but if your tablet is Android, and the USB cable is defaulted to "charge only" you will change that to something like "transfer files" to connect to your controller. Mine asked every time I connect my tablet to my PC.

DJI Phantom 3 Advanced paperweight. I've very rarely taken the cable out of the controller USB port, and it seems plenty solid. Still, the tablet now believes it is being charged only. All equipment is in top condition and nothing has been replaced or fiddled with. If it matters (could be wild coincidence) this happened only after I installed Litchi (now nothing works). Not Litchi. Not DJI Go. Not the USB cable. And, YES, the controller does talk to the aircraft but what good is that compared to the Apps.

Others have noted that the USB connector solder connections are the weak surface-flow-type solder connections (as opposed to through-the-board), so I carefully removed the port module and looked at everything with a jewelers loop while applying a little movement -- seems very solid.

What a very very expensive paperweight now.
Try rebinding the AC to the controller don't know how or why but read recently it solved the sort of problem you are having

I use a process killer. Even though you may have cleared data, the processes may still be running. You can check this by rebooting tablet/device after deleting both cache AND data from apps.

Done. And it still does not work: DISCONNECTED ... tablet thinks the DJI data cable is charging the tablet only; On my tablet, since there is not the required 5 volts, it just shows the battery symbol with a red squiggly graphic. Done every combination of work arounds I can find for this sudden problem.

If I KNEW the 100 dollar USB port module would solve the problem, I'd get it.
And if I KNEW just replacing the tablet with a refurbed iPad Mini 2 would work, I'd get that.
But money-for-nothing, or incorrect guessing, doesn't come easy at my house.

In fact, I am almost completely convinced that something in the Litchi software inadvertently instructed the tablet not to communicate with the controller. However, I have uninstalled and re-installed two different versions - separately and cleanly of course - of Litchi (both 3.8.0 and 3.10.6, while of course the DJI Go was turned off).

Cannot tell you how p***d I am right now. No Litchi and no DJI Go. This is part of my one person photo business, so there is also a lost opportunity cost.

Last edited:
It is definitely your tablet. I had the same issues. having DJI GO and Litchi together on some devices will cause this issue. The DJI processes are not ever really stopped by just closing the app, and the two will not work together. You will have to uninstall the DJO GO app and restart your tablet. You may even have to reset your tablet.
One other thing you can check, like Pete43 suggested, if your tablet thinks it is in charging mode, it will not transfer data which is needed for the app and controller to communicate. Right now it seems to be defaulting to charge for both apps. After you plug the tablet into the controller and before you start the app, use your top pull down menu, it should display a USB icon. Tap that and it will open the USB settings and display what the USB port is being used for, which will be CHARGING. Change that to MIDI or file transfer. Then go back to your home screen and try restarting the DJI app. If this works then that is the issue and you will need to reset the USB action defaults. You can then try the same procedure using Litchi. But when you get to the point where are ready to start the Litchi app, you will need to go into Settings, applications then choose DJI and stop the app and process. Then go back to the home screen and try to use Litchi. If this does not work, you will need to uninstall DJI GO. The old versions are available online in repositories if you want to go back and reinstall it.
Then again, some devices are just not compatible. I had a HTC ONE M9 that would not work no matter what I tried.
I ended up buying a Nvidia K1 and a iPad mini4. They both work the first try every time. Zero issues. I favor the iPad mini 4 though. It works much, much better in the sunlight.

Connecting Litchi to your drone

First, ensure you are using the latest DJI firmwares on both your RC and aircraft. You can update the firmware using DJI Go, or for some of the older aircraft models download them from dji.com. Then, depending on your platform, follow the steps below.
Android
For remote controllers with a USB connection (Mavic Pro, Phantom 3 Advanced/Professional, Phantom 4 (Normal/Pro), Inspire 1, Inspire 2, M100, M600), follow these steps:

1. Make sure no DJI-based apps (including DJI Go, Litchi and other third party DJI drone/osmo apps) are running in the background. If there are any, force kill them
  2. If you have another app (such as DJI Go) set as the default for the remote controller USB connection, you will need to clear the defaults for that app in your mobile device (Settings - Apps - DJI Go (or other app name) - Clear Defaults). Please note that with Android 6+, some devices automatically set the app you start as default, so this step needs to be done everytime you want to switch app (for example from DJI Go to Litchi and vice versa)
  3. Start your aircraft and remote controller, and let them initialize for a few seconds
  4. Plug the remote controller into the mobile device
  5. You will see a popup asking which app to start, select Litchi in the popup to initiate connection

Known issue For Samsung Galaxy S5, Xiaomi Mi5 and LG G4 devices running Android 6+, connecting to Litchi with any aircraft model except the P3 Standard/P3 4K will only work if Litchi is the only DJI-based app installed on the device (DJI Go, or other third party DJI apps must not be installed on the same device).

Connecting Litchi to your drone

First, ensure you are using the latest DJI firmwares on both your RC and aircraft....

THANK you! While I hate like hell to update all firmware (the aircraft I obviously cannot, anyway, since it is done from the app...which doesn't connect...), I will try as much of these recommendations, in order, as I can. One note however is that i do not have anything that lets me change my USB Mode - "...use your top pull down menu, it should display a USB icon. Tap that and it will open the USB settings and display what the USB port is being used for, which will be CHARGING. Change that to MIDI or file transfer. " - it's just not there. I have checked everywhere in my tablet settings as well, even in developer mode, etc. The ONLY USB settings available are debugging related -- zero about the media or storage mode. Not there that I can find. This Android 4.4.2 by the way.

Just kills me this worked perfectly before Litchi install. As I said, they provided 3.8.0 to work with my device - did not happen, and now no USB data.

I will try.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1