Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a total newbie here and considering getting a Phantom soon. My dad and his peers are into off-road driving and I've been helping them in documenting their trip. They want me to make a Youtube channel soon and try to make the videos thrilling in which smartphone cameras and GoPro are no longer enough. I'm currently doing my research and checking references to help me decide in which one to purchase. - Jarred

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you!

Hard one to answer. What quality of photography are you wanting to achieve? What price range? Do you want small and compact or will a larger drone be ok? New or second hand. We need more information.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Welcome mate

Im noobish also, ive been flying for a few years though but from noob to noob i will give you my take on it.

Phantom 3 standard is cheap 2.7k video and that looks sensational, still has the extra flight modes like follow me, limited in range my video cut out aboit 1km away but thats still awesome.

Phantom 3 advanced same camera, longer range, i have seen it upto 2km will full video, on low res it says gets 3km

Phantom 3 pro has 4k camera

Im very limited in knowledge with phantom 4 but believe the range is alot longer like 5-7km and sensors for obstacle avoidance which would be good for 4wding.

Im sure other guys can fill you in on p4 differences better than me.

Just depends on how much you want to spend
Saying that im very happy with the 3 standard

Enjoy the trip

Welcome to the forum. Phantom's are getting pretty much old hat, DJI doesn't sell them anymore, but you can still find them new from few vendors. I have a P4 for sale if you're in So. Calif. I suggest you consider a Mavic2 if you can afford it. I don't recommend MavicPro due to the poor lens, IMO.

I've flown most all DJI craft, except for their Wifi drones (Spark, MavicAir, Tello, MavicMini) because Wifi communications technology is sub par for range, usually less than a mile. I don't expect to ever buy a Wifi drone. With ideal conditions some of these craft with "enhanced WiFi" can go more than 1mi, but it's not reliable IMO. As a noob you need to know that DJI's lightbridge or OcuSync communications will reliably provide 2+ mile range, which really comes in handy sometimes when you need it. The purists in this forum will say you don't need that kind of range because it doesn't follow the FAA guideline of VLOS (visual line of site) flight. They say FPV (first person view) flying beyond VLOS using the iPad view isn't safe, but the majority of us do it anyway. I simply disagree with the notion FPV isn't safe if you're in rural or mountain areas and keep the craft below 400' AGL (above ground level). You'll want to have 2+ mile range eventually, at some point, trust me. So with that in mind, the DJI craft than can do 2+ miles are P3P, P3A, (P4 struggles for 2mi), P4P, MavicPro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic2Pro, Mavic2zoom. For your goals I recommend the Mavic 2 Zoom, because the 2X optical zoom is awesome, and you really don't need the lower light advantage of the Mavic2Pro, or the higher resolution, not to mention the M2Z is cheaper, if you can afford it. For your goals I think top speed capability may be important, so keep that in mind.

I just sold a used P3P that may have fit your needs perfect. It sold for $500 with 4 batteries. I'll miss that drone.

I have to take note of these and make a cross-reference before I get to finalize my decision. Thank you very much for your insights.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.