Newbie Question on controller display

Reaction score
Currently do not have a drone and was about to get the P4 but now thinking of the pro. My current phone is not supported for the controller so would have to get either a new IPhone (currently use Android) or as many have suggested, the IPAD 2 Mini. If I go for the Pro, am I better still with a new phone/IPAD or get the new integrated one. Either way I'm spending several hundred. Suggestions appreciated.

Best.... Steve

I would get the integrated one, 1000nits of brightness is nothing to cough at.. Also, if it is remotely warm outside tablets and phones turn down their brightness when they get too warm..

Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard....

I would say that is hard to tell you right now as nobody has used the integrated one yet.... reviews will pop up soon I would imagine, but many of us (so I've been reading) have ordered without the integrated tablet because we already have one and also my reasoning is I have a 10" tablet, which I really like. There is a bit of a conversation on the forum here that the integrated tablet seems a bit small.

I would think things would "go easier" with the integrated tablet as far as upgrades and the like, and they claim it to have slightly less video lag time on the integrated one. (video latency).

Choices, choices... Personally I have my phone as a back up device and a dedicated 10" Samsung Tab S2 for my flying....

I guess the tech has come a pretty long way if you are considering this as a first drone! Wow.......
Definitely buy the DJI care and do a lot of studying.
I have some free eBooks on my site you may want to check out:
Drone Flyers - Quadcopter, Multirotor and Drones Resource Site
See top menu link to ebooks - also there is a first look at this machine.
Good luck!

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would ask here as well. I'm a newbie to drones but a professional photographer who was waiting for the camera tech in the Phantom to mature before purchasing. Very excited about the P4pro.

I pre-ordered with the built-in display but am now wondering if I should change that. I own an iPhone 6 as well as an iPad Air (wifi only). The iPhone 6 display would be smaller than the integrated one but can a wifi-only iPad be used? If so, do you think that would be preferable to the integrated remote?

Thanks!

The problems I expect with the built in version are:
1. It's too small for my old eyes. 5.5" size is a deal breaker no matter how bright it is.
2. It's a dedicated device to run only Go, no other apps can be used on it, such as Litchi, Autopilot, Drone Deploy, etc.
3. Unsure if it can be converted to use with an iPad mini, but I assume it's possible.
4. I prefer the larger 9.7" iPad Air2, pretty sweet display. I've got no problem using it.

My current phone is not supported for the controller so would have to get either a new IPhone (currently use Android) or as many have suggested, the IPAD 2 Mini. If I go for the Pro, am I better still with a new phone/IPAD or get the new integrated one.
I don't recommend the iPad Mini2 unless you live in a cold area that never gets over 90F. In that case it will work just fine. I have the mini2 and it will crap out in temps over 90F, bare tablet, no cover. The Mini4 has the newer A8 CPU and it doesn't overheat, that's what you should consider.

can a wifi-only iPad be used? If so, do you think that would be preferable to the integrated remote?
Wifi only works just fine.
The Phantom does not need internet connection to fly.
You can cache mapping at home if you want mapping (it's not necessary) and a wifi only iPad has no GPS so you can't do follow me (but you can use optical tracking) and you can't reset home to the location of the controller (if you were on a moving boat etc).
So having no GPS in the iPad is only a very small limitation and probably wouldn't make any real difference.

...agree with john’s points and would add another:

5. we know it will be a very bright screen, but will it be a very reflective screen? - cuz for me distracting reflections (usually of my own sunlit torso and/or head, d'oh!) wreck the visual experience WAY more than the lack of brightness of any screen - would be nice if the surface had some anti-reflective properties - where would you go to get a chance to see/demo in sunlight?

Thanks everyone!

I'm in MA and shoot exclusively in my town of 4.4 square miles so no issue with preloading maps.

I only use the iPad to play one game so this will be a great 'real' use for it. Off to call DJI and change the remote and add on DJI Care Refresh to my order...

2. It's a dedicated device to run only Go, no other apps can be used on it, such as Litchi, Autopilot, Drone Deploy, etc.

If that's the case, I defo wouldn't want the dedicated device option. I do most of my flying via litchi and would hate to lose it. That said I'd be very surprised if some kind of deal wasn't done between the companies to make it available

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's not a dedicated device. Other Android apps can be installed. It remains to be seen which 3rd party apps will be able to run on the device though.

IMG_0232.JPG

I tried to get an answer on the difference between controllers from DJI chat but they couldn't give me an answer and asked me to return at 6pm PST for China HQ chat...

Personally I use an iPhone 6PLUS and an iPad Mini 4 for droning, no issues whatsoever.
My experience with iPad Mini 4 is that after a while of flying feels heavy even with a neck lanyard. The device I use the most for flying is the iPhone 6PLUS, a bit smaller for my eyes but good enough. No issues running Autopilot, B4UFly, etc.

One of the interviews I listened to yesterday indicated that its an android device with Wifi and GPS. So to answer the GPS question, you could definitely pre-load maps or do that on site with using your phone as a hot spot. As for loading other apps, I am only guessing that you should be able to do that as well unless they locked it down somehow. Performance wise, it should handle any other app if it can run the go app without latency.

I went on tech support and found out from DJI that the remote with display:
1. Has GPS - good
2. is not removable - not great
3. will not allow installation of 3rd party apps (such as Litchi)
I'm guessing someone might figure out a way to side load but the last point pushed my decision to cancel my pre-order for the P4P+ and change it to the P4P without display

He also confirmed camera only shoots in horizontal; not vertical orientation which kind of sucks as a photographer. Panoramas would be much tougher.

I think they will be just fine. You're at altitude and perspective is different. I'm also a photographer and I believe a 20mp sensor can work just fine for a cropped portrait oriented photo. Hell a few years ago I remember shooting on a 12mp dslr. Man times are changing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.