New Phantom Pro/Adv Controller Issue... Dead USB port?

Reaction score
I received a replacement Phantom 3 Pro from DJI and they included a controller either on purpose or by error.

The controller has the good old problem of not being able to send or accept data via the USB port.

What this means is that the DJI GO App can't speak to the controller, so any settings within the DJI GO App can not be set on the Phantom, nor can I receive video. This of course also means that I can't update the firmware on the controller. If I place the firmware BIN file on a micro SD card and then into a USB stick and then into the controller, nothing happens because the USB Port is not accepting data.

The USB Port does however provide power. When I switch on the controller and plug in a Phone or Tablet, those items will show the charging symbal.

DJI has a Help Video showing how to remove and replace the circuit board, in case one wished to upgrade to HDMI output. I removed the circuit board and reinstalled it thinking that perhaps a cable could be loose or not well connected. NO LUCK.

Other option I tried was spraying Electronic Contact Cleaner in the USB Port, just in case a poor connecting was the problem. NO LUCK.

Anyone have any thoughts... or a spare working USB controller board sitting around?

20160618_112339.jpg
20160618_114234.jpg

Connect your RC to PC or Mac on that USB port and check if that's working.

I had read that there are chances of connection issues on the USB connector soldering points. Inspect those points and if needed touch with a pointed fine tip earthed low wattage soldering iron.

You stated that DJI sent you RC by mistake. Does it mean you have one more RC with you?

Connect your RC to PC or Mac on that USB port and check if that's working.

I had read that there are chances of connection issues on the USB connector soldering points. Inspect those points and if needed touch with a pointed fine tip earthed low wattage soldering iron.

You stated that DJI sent you RC by mistake. Does it mean you have one more RC with you?

I have tried plugging it into my MAC and no luck. Unfortunately, nothing shows up.

I'll look at the board again and see if I can spot any soldering issues.

I already had a Phantom 3 controller (lightbridge} so I was able to use that one and bind it with this model to ensure it worked. This Phantom works well and the camera is great (no jello, sharp image, good color).

Last edited:
EXACT same problem as well. Was this ever resolved? I also have steady fast blinking yellow lights, anyone else?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I have the same issue after update of DJI GO 3.1.0.
My S5 and Tab Pro stopped working. Neither my RC sees it and neither my PC.
I think DJI go ruined some setting in the phones. Trying to figure out what to do.

Try to connect your Device to the PC and see if it sees it. Or does it JUST CHARGE it there as well?

Reactions: islandbagger
I received a replacement Phantom 3 Pro from DJI and they included a controller either on purpose or by error.

The controller has the good old problem of not being able to send or accept data via the USB port.

What this means is that the DJI GO App can't speak to the controller, so any settings within the DJI GO App can not be set on the Phantom, nor can I receive video. This of course also means that I can't update the firmware on the controller. If I place the firmware BIN file on a micro SD card and then into a USB stick and then into the controller, nothing happens because the USB Port is not accepting data.

The USB Port does however provide power. When I switch on the controller and plug in a Phone or Tablet, those items will show the charging symbal.

DJI has a Help Video showing how to remove and replace the circuit board, in case one wished to upgrade to HDMI output. I removed the circuit board and reinstalled it thinking that perhaps a cable could be loose or not well connected. NO LUCK.

Other option I tried was spraying Electronic Contact Cleaner in the USB Port, just in case a poor connecting was the problem. NO LUCK.

Anyone have any thoughts... or a spare working USB controller board sitting around?

View attachment 57529 View attachment 57530
I do, but I am in NZ

EXACT same problem as well. Was this ever resolved? I also have steady fast blinking yellow lights, anyone else?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I did resolve my problem a month ago. I discovered that it was not the USB port, but rather that a specific (and I mean specific) firmware update was necessary. It was one of the updates from long ago. As soon as I updated the controller with that update, it would then accept all future firmware updates.

I just wanted to come back and add that i replaced the usb module with the hdmi module and I am in the air! The latest fw seems to have fried the usb port. Once I had the hdmi module on, its usb was working fine. RC had failed the upgrade and was not updating from a usb stick so I (reluctantly) updated from the Go app (which DJI has updated twice since this issue started, btw) and just like that, green lights.
e88ef01418649a137bda1ea65536e41d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just wanted to come back and add that i replaced the usb module with the hdmi module and I am in the air! The latest fw seems to have fried the usb port. Once I had the hdmi module on, its usb was working fine. RC had failed the upgrade and was not updating from a usb stick so I (reluctantly) updated from the Go app (which DJI has updated twice since this issue started, btw) and just like that, green lights.
e88ef01418649a137bda1ea65536e41d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using PhantomPilots mobile app
Great news that you're back in the air!

It's been quite a while now since we lost the ability to update RC firmware via the USB. It has been through the app only since I think FW 1.32 or 1.4 depending on the RC version.

Here is something interesting: I pulled out my P3Pro and could not get my iPad Air2 to connect to the controller.

I tried 4 different cables, including a brand new Apple Lightning cable. So its NOT the cable.

I confirmed that my iPad did not have its firmware updated, nor did the Phantom or the controller. It is all the exact same as when I put it away working a month ago.

My two working theories:
1. Some kind of forced update to the iPad I didn't approve which is screwing up iPad or some setting on the iPad I messed with. (I do use the iPad for other things than flying).
2. Failed USB port on the remote.

Before I go through the hassle of a complete iPad wipe and restore, I'd like to troubleshoot the USB. Anyone have any ideas?

So, I pulled my upgraded USB/HDMI board on the back of the remote. Viola! USB connects immediately. Something just went bad on the board. No to order a new board from DJI. I'll tell the how much I appreciate paying twice.

I did resolve my problem a month ago. I discovered that it was not the USB port, but rather that a specific (and I mean specific) firmware update was necessary.

I've the same issue - Any more info on this so I can try please?

I have removed and tested the USB board in another remote - so its not the socket/usb board. It appears to try read from a usb key at power up (I can see USB Keys read leds flash) But the RC will not connect via usb to any Phone or PC - so I cannot change the firmware via apps.

How did you update the firmware without USB working...and where would I get the firmware package (I can find no firmware for P4 on the dji site)

The mini usb port seems to be functional still - when connected to a pc shows as a virtual com port... can that be used to update the firmware?

Thanks...

I've the same issue - Any more info on this so I can try please?

I have removed and tested the USB board in another remote - so its not the socket/usb board. It appears to try read from a usb key at power up (I can see USB Keys read leds flash) But the RC will not connect via usb to any Phone or PC - so I cannot change the firmware via apps.

How did you update the firmware without USB working...and where would I get the firmware package (I can find no firmware for P4 on the dji site)

The mini usb port seems to be functional still - when connected to a pc shows as a virtual com port... can that be used to update the firmware?

Thanks...
DJI used a different system in the past which made a controller incompatible with updates and connection.

I fixed mine by going to the DJI website and finding this old firmware update... it was still on the site. Place the firmware file on a USB stick the place stick in controller and start the update (I think there was buttons I had to hold or push to start the update and have the controller LED flash blue). There are videos on this.

After that, ilthe controller then accepted updates via the DJI GO app. Once the controller and Phantom are at the same update version, all will function as it should.

I fixed mine by going to the DJI website and finding this old firmware update... it was still on the site. Place the firmware file on a USB stick the place stick in controller and start the update...

So - checked and my controller is model GL300C - Reading up on it - I believe only the GL300A can flash from USB drives.

Hardware is fine I think - just looks like a bad flash

- I replaced the usb board
- It doesn't appear as a device when connected to a pc via the usb socket
- the key combination I can get it in a mode that makes its power led flash blue fast and beep.
- It does appear as a virtual com port when connected via its micro usb socket to a pc.

..Anyone else with any ideas I would like to hear from them... thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31