New Phantom. Got a returned unit, and have old motors. Help.

I´m now afraid my "old P3" will get seriously kicked in the b*tt by a "new motor" P3 in the upcoming Phantom 3 World Championships o_O :D

This crack & motor paranoia is reaching hysteria. Too bad for the sufferers. I´m as happy with mine now as I was when I first got it and completely ignored the issue LOL. Almost 200´s of perfectly "healthy" and fun flights, zero cracks, zero issues of any kind.

I´d buy it again even today, my next drone will be a P4. With old motors, new motors, whatever.

Less then a week old 7 flights 2 stress cracked arms does not make me feel confident, but i will het a good one. Good for you.......

I agree with buying at Best Buy. I just liked being able to actually buy it locally and not on the internet. Sure makes returning easier and quicker if necessary.

My box doesn't have that sticker, but if you read my posts from before I got the old motors. The box picture was also the old motors. I decided to not worry about it. I am now 3 flights in with a huge grin on my face. It is incredibly stable and easy to fly....

My box doesn't have that sticker, but if you read my posts from before I got the old motors. The box picture was also the old motors. I decided to not worry about it. I am now 3 flights in with a huge grin on my face. It is incredibly stable and easy to fly....
this is true

One thing I have learned for sure after buying 10 + quads over the last 3 years, the blogs and forums all said my whatever copter had this issue and that issue, it will break, it's old style, it will brick when hooked up to mission planner, blah blah blah, I have never had an issue with any of them that pilot error was not the result. I guess I'm just extra lucky or? My advice definitely don't believe everything you read, especially not knowing how they are flown and by whom. :)

Reactions: kirk2579
All you old motor nay-sayers, have you considered this:

Check the FCC filings, links below:

FCC ID SS3-WM3231503 by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD for Phantom 3 Professional output wattage .745 - April 2015
FCC ID SS3-WM3231507 by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD for Phantom 3 Professional output wattage .612 - July 2015
FCC ID SS3-WM3231510 by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD for Phantom 3 Professional output wattage .52 - November 2015

I checked my black Friday purchase and it is 3231503....so my output wattage is 143% higher than latest filing!!!....I think I would rather have that then new motors....

That said, I would likely have returned an open box purchased as new, but I wouldn't be so quick to exchange the old motors for the new motors....as far as the cracking goes I would prefer to have a Phantom made in the middle of when there were no cracking issues....

I am not sure if 1507 or 1510 has the new motors...

of course, it could also be DJI managed to make it more efficient and you get a longer flight time....or it could be a million other things....

RDWFAP (relax, don't worry, fly a phantom)...

Last edited:
You are 100% guaranteed to develop cracks with the old motors. Return it immediately, tell them you received a used item and you paid for new. They may offer a discount refund. It's up to you to decide. Weather you receive a new motor is a different question. You are guaranteed new motor (and 100% guaranteed no cracks) if you purchase directly from DJI.

********! I´ve got about 600 flights since P3 was released, in hot weather, cold weather, no cracks, no issues.

I´m now afraid my "old P3" will get seriously kicked in the b*tt by a "new motor" P3 in the upcoming Phantom 3 World Championships o_O :D

This crack & motor paranoia is reaching hysteria. Too bad for the sufferers. I´m as happy with mine now as I was when I first got it and completely ignored the issue LOL. Almost 200´s of perfectly "healthy" and fun flights, zero cracks, zero issues of any kind.

I´d buy it again even today, my next drone will be a P4. With old motors, new motors, whatever.
The next one you buy will probably be Phantom X. They already announced concept design. Even comes with obstacle avoidance! :)
DJI - Phantom X Concept| DJI

Reactions: bobmyers
All you old motor nay-sayers, have you considered this:

Check the FCC filings, links below:

FCC ID SS3-WM3231503 by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD for Phantom 3 Professional output wattage .745 - April 2015
FCC ID SS3-WM3231507 by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD for Phantom 3 Professional output wattage .612 - July 2015
FCC ID SS3-WM3231510 by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD for Phantom 3 Professional output wattage .52 - November 2015

I checked my black Friday purchase and it is 3231503....so my output wattage is 143% higher than latest filing!!!....I think I would rather have that then new motors....

That said, I would likely have returned an open box purchased as new, but I wouldn't be so quick to exchange the old motors for the new motors....as far as the cracking goes I would prefer to have a Phantom made in the middle of when there were no cracking issues....

I am not sure if 1507 or 1510 has the new motors...

of course, it could also be DJI managed to make it more efficient and you get a longer flight time....or it could be a million other things....

RDWFAP (relax, don't worry, fly a phantom)...
I just checked and I have 1507 with new motors. Also this is the link to my FCC filing for my controller, I am curious what your controller power output is as well.

I agree with buying at Best Buy. I just liked being able to actually buy it locally and not on the internet. Sure makes returning easier and quicker if necessary.
It's pretty stupid these day to buy anything locally when you can buy online like Amazon and saved tons on taxes. You're looking at about $100 in tax saving here. I avoid paying tax on purchases of about $10000/yr I purchased online.

It's pretty stupid these day to buy anything locally when you can buy online like Amazon and saved tons on taxes. You're looking at about $100 in tax saving here. I avoid paying tax on purchases of about $10000/yr I purchased online.
Note: Now Amazon started charging tax in California, etc. Wherever they have a warehouse. Unless you buy from a 3-Ed party seller that is not in your state.

Note: Now Amazon started charging tax in California, etc. Wherever they have a warehouse. Unless you buy from a 3-Ed party seller that is not in your state.
You get around that by choosing seller that is “fulfilled by amazon“. No tax!

I just received my Phantom 3 Professional that I ordered from Adorama on Black Friday. Upon opening the box, everything seems fine. Except... The outer box is dirty(Probably from storage). So I thought 'Okay. That doesn't mean anything'. And I opens the box. Start charging the controller. After 3 hours, I decide to take a look and see if it is fully charged, then I can move on to charge the battery. Then I noticed..... Old Motors, and old shell. And for some strange reason, the motors doesn't have the 'safety sticker' on them. And I realized this is probably a returned unit.The accessory and charger box have clear evidence it had been opened, and put back together. Now I have packed everything packed back exactly the way it arrived. Now, should I return it, and ask for a replacement? The opened box doesn't really bother me, as the phantom still looks like it had never been flown. But I have heard that old motors causes cracks. And Adorama basically gives no support similar to DJI except for the first 30 days. I don't want to wait the the cracks appears, and then I would have to send it in (to China) for replacement, and probably pays a huge repair cost. And Adorama's return policy is kind of worrying. According to their return policy, they will deduct the original shipping fee. Is the motors really a huge deals and worth my effort? How do I make sure so the replacement will have the new motors, and not a returned unit?
Thanks everyone.[/QUQUOTE

Well, if it's openned you should return it because you Paid for a new product, not a refurbished or used one right.. They should gives you a new one, that can't just ship a used phantom, even us just openned for a second, is not brand new anymore, is disrespectful to you a as customer.. They just can't do that

Yea I would normally agree with you, but buying mine from Bestbuy was the best thing i could of done... Noticed cracks on drone.. Drove 10 minutes to BB.. And had a new drone without questions... I have until Jan 15th to fly the crap of of this thing to make sure it does not happen again... Pick and choose your purchases online wisely.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers