New Phantom 4 Backpack

When selecting a backpack, one of my requirements is the pack needs to look like a plain backpack. I don't want anything fancy that looks like there's something expensive inside. I don't want any logos or writing on the outside that let's people know there's a drone inside. It needs to look mundane, but comfortable when backpacking. It turns out the foam insert type of backpacks offer the most protection, and they are the most restrictive. They also have the least room for extra stuff, like iPad, hood, harness, windsurfer, Itelite, MarcoPolo receiver, GoPro, etc. The re-configurable "wall divider" type of backpack is what I settled on from Think Tank for $249, but Pro Craft ($119-129) makes an almost identical pack for less money that looks like the best value. These reconfigurable type with movable walls, attached with Velcro, offer the most flexibility IMO.
upload_2016-4-29_22-8-12.png

When selecting a backpack, one of my requirements is the pack needs to look like a plain backpack. I don't want anything fancy that looks like there's something expensive inside. I don't want any logos or writing on the outside that let's people know there's a drone inside. It needs to look mundane, but comfortable when backpacking. It turns out the foam insert type of backpacks offer the most protection, and they are the most restrictive. They also have the least room for extra stuff, like iPad, hood, harness, windsurfer, Itelite, MarcoPolo receiver, GoPro, etc. The re-configurable "wall divider" type of backpack is what I settled on from Think Tank for $249, but Pro Craft ($119-129) makes an almost identical pack for less money that looks like the best value. These reconfigurable type with movable walls, attached with Velcro, offer the most flexibility IMO.
View attachment 52127
Good point going incognito :) Hadn't thought of it from that angle before. When I go out with my P3 hardshell backpack everyone seems to know whats inside.

After much debate I went with the Think Tank. I didn't really see much value in buying a backpack that I couldn't reconfigure. Yes I know I need to be more careful but I'd rather have a pack I can swap my drone out with say next year's P5 or what ever it may be.

Another factor was weight. The Think Tank is 4.5 lbs. the Lowepro 6. The others with molded foam come in at 8ish (I think). I plan to ride my bike on some hilly rides and weight and comfort to me is a big factor.

FYI think tank has a $40 rebate right now, or 199 if you buy direct.

All that said, I'll probably buy the GPC compact hard case . :) all depends on the need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After much debate I went with the Think Tank. I didn't really see much value in buying a backpack that I couldn't reconfigure. Yes I know I need to be more careful but I'd rather have a pack I can swap my drone out with say next year's P5 or what ever it may be.

Another factor was weight. The Think Tank is 4.5 lbs. the Lowepro 6. The others with molded foam come in at 8ish (I think). I plan to ride my bike on some hilly rides and weight and comfort to me is a big factor.

FYI think tank has a $40 rebate right now, or 199 if you buy direct.

All that said, I'll probably buy the GPC compact hard case . :) all depends on the need

Just looked up the Think Tank on B&H, looks well made, post some pics when you get it!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

This is same as the think tank but cheaper on the cost (procraft)

Attachments

• 1462410334397.jpg
    1462410334397.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 452
Reactions: antnyp85
I thought this video explained the Think Tank well. I also bought because it's made locally here in Northern California. I like the D1 as well, but really wished it was updated a but to fit the P4 (batteries, etc)

Reactions: Phantom-Four
I thought this video explained the Think Tank well. I also bought because it's made locally here in Northern California. I like the D1 as well, but really wished it was updated a but to fit the P4 (batteries, etc)k
I suspect they will. A friend of mine wanted to pick one up in a store in the UK but they told him they couldn't get them at the moment. Obviously, that could be a coincidence. But it would make sense if they are planning to release an updated version.

I have ordered the compact one that holds 6 batteries, plus one in the drone. It can be used as carry on for flights.

I got my think tank airport helipak last week. Very nice backpack where all my stuff fits without problems.

1c4c8cf29ded7bed6b8af41a77e0770c.jpg

2f2237602b09288abe7162ab3c5b0dd4.jpg

f518f8c384ce2ea672961e4bb2b5e7a7.jpg

d9512898687aa578dcd51e7de5ea4e4f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have ordered the compact one that holds 6 batteries, plus one in the drone. It can be used as carry on for flights.
Wow, you had enough room for your DSLR? Sweet! Does the tablet go in the outside pocket?

We did a short review of it. If you don't need to be able to carry it on while flying it's a good case.
I was wondering about the carryon size. Nice review. I'm still on the fence between backpack and case. Still wondering if DJI will come out with a hardshell backpack like the P3 one I have. I think that would be the best of both worlds for me.

I was wondering about the carryon size. Nice review. I'm still on the fence between backpack and case. Still wondering if DJI will come out with a hardshell backpack like the P3 one I have. I think that would be the best of both worlds for me.
Latest rumor on that is they now plan to start shipping at the end of July. So it'll take some more waiting I guess.

Since the P4 DJI backpack has been delayed, at least according to a seller on Amazon, I was convinced to take the DJI/Manfrotto backpack as an upgrade at no additional cost. The only problem is that when I received the Manfrotto my P4 does not fit. What makes it worse is that it was a combo deal including two batteries. I am currently waiting on the vendors response to my return request.

Since the P4 DJI backpack has been delayed, at least according to a seller on Amazon, I was convinced to take the DJI/Manfrotto backpack as an upgrade at no additional cost. The only problem is that when I received the Manfrotto my P4 does not fit. What makes it worse is that it was a combo deal including two batteries. I am currently waiting on the vendors response to my return request.
How does it not fit? The only thing that didn't fit when we tried it were the battery sleeves but there is enough space for those elsewhere in the bag for those.

You might be able to cram it shut. I just feel that the backpack might hurt the p4 more than protect it.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1