New Phantom 4 after even exchanged at the Apple Store update!!

Topic cleaned.

There is no need for members to be fighting here. We are all suppose to be here for the common love of Phantoms and aerial photography.
Some things were posted here that were purely the opinion of the author and not necessarily true. Lets keep on topic and within the forum guidelines.
If anyone is not familiar with them please look here - Community Rules

Unknown.jpeg

Shot some friends on horses in an area called sunset Ranch. Will upload and share later. Flies so good. Feeling comfortable with it in ATTI around horses.
May I ask, why would you want to fly in ATTI, especially around horses? I would think that P-GPS would be far safer and more stable to control, so as not to spook the horses with riders, especially with friends on them.

Reactions: dirkclod and Myetkt
It hits alot harder on startup than my previous phantom. Exactly like yours.

But to see if you really have the noise, pick the phantom up and tilt the whole phantom up and down and side to side and see if you still hear the noise.

My second phantom also didnt have the covers on the front camera, and it cam with a panasonic sd card instead of a lexar.

Can you let me know how you go with moving the phantom around while its on, do you still hear the noise?

Also best to do an IMU calibration when its dead cold on a perfect level surface, my P4 is now rock solid.
i just got mine 1 week ago and i have same SD caed and no plastic on the lens either

May I ask, why would you want to fly in ATTI, especially around horses? I would think that P-GPS would be far safer and more stable to control, so as not to spook the horses with riders, especially with friends on them.
Because you get a better shot when shooting in ATTI mode and I feel comfortable enough shooting in control in ATTI mode and besides on the mountain, I barely have satellite and god forbid something happened and I lost control because of loss of satellite.

I believe pretty much anyone that uses their P4 for shooting will attest to the smooth nature of an ATTI orbit vs, a GPS one. True for all birds by the way. Night and day. I would never put a horse in danger. Wasn't even super close to them.

ATTI mode was for 2 reasons, the look and their safety.

Because you get a better shot when shooting in ATTI mode and I feel comfortable enough shooting in control in ATTI mode and besides on the mountain, I barely have satellite and god forbid something happened and I lost control because of loss of satellite.

I believe pretty much anyone that uses their P4 for shooting will attest to the smooth nature of an ATTI orbit vs, a GPS one. True for all birds by the way. Night and day. I would never put a horse in danger. Wasn't even super close to them.

ATTI mode was for 2 reasons, the look and their safety.
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense on both accounts! :cool:

Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense on both accounts! :cool:
Yea.. Don't think I would want a drone or anything with a motor on it around horses with my kids riding. Guess you could gamble that no one gets hurt, but just awhile ago a therapy horse bolted with a mentally ill child on his back when a car started. Ended up killing the child. Everyone at the therapy ranch said the horse never had a problem, just took one thing to set it off. I wouldn't take that chance with my child or anyone else.

Yea.. Don't think I would want a drone or anything with a motor on it around horses with my kids riding. Guess you could gamble that no one gets hurt, but just awhile ago a therapy horse bolted with a mentally ill child on his back when a car started. Ended up killing the child. Everyone at the therapy ranch said the horse never had a problem, just took one thing to set it off. I wouldn't take that chance with my child or anyone else.
lol.

You are something else. Well thanks for the warning. It was my 39 year old brother in law who I believe is perfectly capable of making decisions for himself and is definitely of sound mind and body. He also knows every horse at the Sunset Ranch as he's been working there for a decade so he chose the horses with the strongest temperaments. He has also shot using many of these horses for film in other regards several times a year.

There were several people shot when it was all said and done but there was nobody under 30 on any of the horses and these are all professional riders and often used horses and extremely well taken care of.

I do appreciate that you wouldn't want your kids faces to be torn off. I can agree with you that that would be a bad thing.

Are we all in agreement that tearing a mentally challenged child's face off is a bad idea? I vote a strong yes!

A real carer of things!!!

1st, I wasn't talking to you I was talking to Gadgetguy.. 2nd, I believe Sunset Ranch is a place anyone can rent a horse and ride, not just you and your family. 3rd, since it is a public place there might be young people or adults riding for the first time and not have the riding ability of your family. 4th it just seems like common sense to not fly some thing like a drone above a horse with people on its back. Last who said anything about the child's face being torn off?
Sad how you take a tragedy of a child being killed, and you turn it into your own horror show..

Last edited:
My positive takeaway from this discussion is the benefit of ATTI mode for cinematography. I had heard that, but hadn't fully understood it before. It would likely stop the struts from flipping into the frame in P-GPS when stopping and changing direction, which I often have to edit out. However, the downside is that the aircraft will not stop immediately, but will continue drifting in the heading direction, and with the wind, after letting off on the throttle, instead of stopping, while trying to stop in front of an object like a pier that one is flying towards and videoing. It is not without its downsides. More like a jetski stop than a brake.

Reactions: Myetkt
1st, I wasn't talking to you I was talking to Gadgetguy.. 2nd, I believe Sunset Ranch is a place anyone can rent a horse and ride, not just you and your family. 3rd, since it is a public place there might be young people or adults riding for the first time and not have the riding ability of your family. 4th it just seems like common sense to not fly some thing like a drone above a horse with people on its back. Last who said anything about the child's face being torn off?
1st) as I said, he's been working at the Sunset Ranch for about a decade and he knows the owner very well and when to be able to do what he wants.

I would never fly my Phantom around a child. let alone their face. Second of all, this just SCREAMS of you trying to make something out of nothing with me because of, well your obsession. These horses are used, once again, for filming all the time. They are used by the studios and others. I was, on request of some of the riders, and it's permitted by the owner to shoot him on his horse and I keep far enough away from the horse to not startle them and there never has been or will be children involved.

I'm stopping here. Why am I explaining myself to you?

Unreal.

My positive takeaway from this discussion is the benefit of ATTI mode for cinematography. I had heard that, but hadn't fully understood it before. It would likely stop the struts from flipping into the frame in P-GPS when stopping and changing direction, which I often have to edit out. However, the downside is that the aircraft will not stop immediately, but will continue drifting in the heading direction, and with the wind, after letting off on the throttle, instead of stopping, while trying to stop in front of an object like a pier that one is flying towards and videoing. It is not without its downsides. More like a jetski stop than a brake.
Yeah, I wouldn't fly in ATTI mode unless you are a) comfortable with doing so and b) have the room to do so. Flying low in ATTI mode without knowing exactly what it will do can be disastrous. I recommend practicing with a $50 Syma X5C. It feels generally the same and won't break when you crash and will give yo valuable time to practice without mattering if you crash. But the difference between the look is fairly significant. It's a much more "smooth" shot is the best adjective I can come up with.

Yeah, I wouldn't fly in ATTI mode unless you are a) comfortable with doing so and b) have the room to do so. Flying low in ATTI mode without knowing exactly what it will do can be disastrous. I recommend practicing with a $50 Syma X5C. It feels generally the same and won't break when you crash and will give yo valuable time to practice without mattering if you crash. But the difference between the look is fairly significant. It's a much more "smooth" shot is the best adjective I can come up with.
I'm going to give ATTI a try to see the difference. Lots of prior ATTI practice with the Syma X5C before I ever flew my first Phantom. It even records sound! Smooth video is good. I know the gimbal keeps everything level, but active braking would tend to make for more abrupt, less smooth shots. Just need to plan ahead, to leave room for the drift, after letting off on the sticks!

I'm going to give ATTI a try to see the difference. Lots of prior ATTI practice with the Syma X5C before I ever flew my first Phantom. It even records sound! Smooth video is good. I know the gimbal keeps everything level, but active braking would tend to make for more abrupt, less smooth shots. Just need to plan ahead, to leave room for the drift, after letting off on the sticks!
True but it also makes it harder to land (but the VPS certainly helps)

Flying in ATTI is a different beast and the Syma is probably the best practice so if you're comfortable say flying the Syma around your house, you're probably pretty good but don't forget the bad results are a greater thing than crashing a Syma.

I would recommend flying in ATTI at like 40 feet or something with space to spare and just practice maneuvers there first before bringing it down to the near ground. Crashing into a tree or something is usually the result of an ATTI shot that was with an operator that shouldn't have been in ATTI. It's also better in the sky IMO and safer there but would never fly in ATTI without perfect LOS.

True but it also makes it harder to land (but the VPS certainly helps)

Flying in ATTI is a different beast and the Syma is probably the best practice so if you're comfortable say flying the Syma around your house, you're probably pretty good but don't forget the bad results are a greater thing than crashing a Syma.

I would recommend flying in ATTI at like 40 feet or something with space to spare and just practice maneuvers there first before bringing it down to the near ground. Crashing into a tree or something is usually the result of an ATTI shot that was with an operator that shouldn't have been in ATTI. It's also better in the sky IMO and safer there but would never fly in ATTI without perfect LOS.
I fly VPS only, so it will be a challenge from 3 miles away, but there are no trees out over the ocean, and the pier heights are known, so I'll maintain a nice elevation above and a respectful distance for drifting! :cool: I have also learned the hard way of the difficulties of a tight landing onto a narrow pier in high winds over saltwater while still in ATTI mode. I now always make a point to switch to P-GPS for the landing! It goes a lot smoother! ;)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl