New personal distance best with P3S **UPDATE new max distance on page 2**

Reaction score

I achieved a new personal best yesterday with my P3S, 9733 ft! The only mods I've done are a homemade windsurfer ( How to build your own Windsurfer Antenna ) and the Magic Power mod. I'm still wondering why my video signal actually got worse when I turned the P3S back towards my direction. I'm guessing it has to do with the placement of the antenna in the legs? I may try a similar flight today and turn on course lock so I can ensure that the back of the P3S is facing me on it's return flight and see if that makes a difference. Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with almost 2 miles basically stock.

Reactions: loonie01
Strong work!

Reactions: Lunatech
It seemed like my video was breaking up more/sooner with the Magic Power mod and after more research it seems like here in the US we are already at 27dbi so I reverted back to stock and in the limited tests I've done it seems like my video is more stable (although I've not went back to 1.84 miles yet). Not sure why but I'll test it further as time and weather permits. I'll do a screen record over the same path and see if there is a difference.

The video feed antennas are actually inside the bird. Pull the battery and you'll see them. The one on the right especially.

dji_cp_pt_000284_wi_fi_video_link_antenna_1185289.jpg

Latest version on both. DJI Go is on my iPhone btw.

Well, 11685 ft (2.21 miles) today after removing the Magic Mod and using the homemade windsurfer. Video was better than with the magic mod. Next is to check out the antenna location that Matts175 referred to and see what to do about that to get better video range. I'll post a sped up video later.

Well, 11685 ft (2.21 miles) today after removing the Magic Mod and using the homemade windsurfer. Video was better than with the magic mod. Next is to check out the antenna location that Matts175 referred to and see what to do about that to get better video range. I'll post a sped up video later.

Click that link in Matts sig line. ;) Mine is on its way.

Homemade dipole antennas for 2.4ghz

Yea I saw that but want the warranty to run out before I go and permanently alter my bird in a way that can't be undone without evidence. Plus I still had video feed but it was choppy.
Hey Matts175 what is the max distance you've gotten so far?

Last edited:
Yea I saw that but want the warranty to run out before I go and permanently alter my bird in a way that can't be undone without evidence.

Really all you would have to do is swap landing gear (because of the 1/4" holes). Everything else is 100% reversible.

Really all you would have to do is swap landing gear (because of the 1/4" holes). Everything else is 100% reversible.
What is the max distance you've gotten so far? Also you bring up a good point, just get another set of landing gear. Hmmm.....

What is the max distance you've gotten so far? Also you bring up a good point, just get another set of landing gear. Hmmm.....

Over a mile. Still had great video feed. I only hit RTH because I was nervous. I'm still kind of new at this.

16508915_10210580963594240_8781554711476239469_n.jpg

I did the ITELITE unboosted antenna modification along with Magic 5.3 Firmware Modification. Did 2 miles and lost video as I hit 2 miles and signal RTH kicked in and she came just fine.

Video:

Telemintary:

Attachments

• IMG_4657.jpg
    IMG_4657.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 611
I did the ITELITE unboosted antenna modification along with Magic 5.3 Firmware Modification. Did 2 miles and lost video as I hit 2 miles and signal RTH kicked in and she came just fine.
I'll get the video posted sometime tomorrow of today's 2.21 mile run. The only thing I have is a homemade windsurfer. Also I think we've met on YouTube. I'm NC Quad Pilot there.

Reactions: stevefo
I got over 6,900 feet before RTH initiated. the video feed wasn't my problem, it was clear the whole way, it was the control and telemetry that triggered RTH. I am using my homemade dipole antennas for the video feed....

Attachments

• max distance.JPG
    max distance.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 474
I think at some point, you just say ok....time to buy a lightbridge capable device......but i get it, its fun to just mod the hell out of things until you have dumped double what you paid for it! Trust me, I know that, I own a hole in the water that you throw money into (i.e. a boat) :)

I think at some point, you just say ok....time to buy a lightbridge capable device......but i get it, its fun to just mod the hell out of things until you have dumped double what you paid for it! Trust me, I know that, I own a hole in the water that you throw money into (i.e. a boat) :)

It's just fun to tinker. :)

Matt that's taking a little too far! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl