Reaction score
Sorry in advance my disability is spelling, grammar, and punctuation,
After reading a few vital posts and watching many video's from around the web and phantom Pilots posts. I have managed to set my self a new distance record with my P3S with full control and full video and it was my lack of braveness {ie I chickened out } that stopped my going a little on a more.
I did manage to video capture my phone screen and the whole epic flight from on board video as well. I managed this over the country side in the heart of Norfolk to fly. 10519 feet or 1.996 miles very close to 2 miles with full video and yes a few modifications have been done, many discussed on hear. Due to battery power only two amps was used with standard antenna.
I take it you all know how mush a well made direction antenna would add to the flight. So I was very pleased, as I was staying with a local police Sargent so i had a good witness of the recording and beat his record and his friends who have more expensive quad coppers. I know this is not that far but still it made me happy.

The question I have is, Why?

After reading a few vital posts and watching many video's from around the web and phantom Pilots posts. I have managed to set my self a new distance record with my P3S with full control and full video and it was my lack of braveness {ie I chickened out } that stopped my going a little on a more.
I did manage to video capture my phone screen and the whole epic flight from on board video as well. I managed this over the country side in the heart of Norfolk to fly. 10519 feet or 1.996 miles very close to 2 miles with full video and yes a few modifications have been done, many discussed on hear. Due to battery power only two amps was used with standard antenna.
I take it you all know how mush a well made direction antenna would add to the flight. So I was very pleased, as I was staying with a local police Sargent so i had a good witness of the recording and beat his record and his friends who have more expensive quad coppers. I know this is not that far but still it made me happy.
That’s an awesome distance for the P3s ?

Why not upgrade to a used Mavic pro that can go between 2-3 miles with the stock controller?
It’s a lot more fun to fly with an omni directional antenna at 2 miles compared to a directional antenna that you have to keep pointed directly at the drone.

That’s an awesome distance for the P3s ?

Why not upgrade to a used Mavic pro that can go between 2-3 miles with the stock controller?
It’s a lot more fun to fly with an omni directional antenna at 2 miles compared to a directional antenna that you have to keep pointed directly at the drone.
Mavic Pro would love one, but they are still quite expensive. The people I know with them are so scared to fly that far, because the investment they will loose if thing go wrong. I do add an independant gps tracker to my p3s as I lost my first quad a parrot 2 I must add this was my first long distant attempt and with only two amps fitted not sure if the third amp will make any difference. and of course you have to still be quite brave. only brave in respect to not having money to go out and just get a new one, if i lose it. I will add I was only using a 12v battery for the amps and the move volts /amps the more power the amps push out so lots of room if i realy wanted to push the boat out. I was just so glad i did use a screen recorder to capture it. keep safe a have fun piloting my best daz

Novice questions:
a. what about line of sight requirements on long distance jaunts?
(oxymoron?)
b. what happens at moment "furthest possible" becomes "too far"
& can one get advanced hint its about to happen?

So is it ok to fly without line of sight? And you fly with policemen that have done the same?
Do you have to register you drones over in England like we do in the United States?
Happy flying..

Read this late, my comment is COOL! I have P3S also. But I purchased a Mavic Pro about 6 months ago. so much more fun, espescially it you just want to fly which is what I do. Not so much for the photo ability, just fun flying. Keep on going!

Reactions: Tkoglin
I will take a stab at this one. Only mad dogs and English men go out in the mid day sun. Im English Donald Campbell English yep we could say it an English thing we want to invent and push the envelope of our toys. why did i jump off a perfectly good stable mountain.

G'day Daz, I'm born and raised in Lowestoft. (almost a Norfolk boy) ! Bravo. Nice one.

So is it ok to fly without line of sight? And you fly with policemen that have done the same?
Do you have to register you drones over in England like we do in the United States?
Happy flying..
so are children made to sign a register in the United States not a safe thing to do.

Nice I have a stock antenna and the magic powers mod on my hand tom 3 standard and I got 5,554 feet the other day with video and Controller still connected that is 1mile i believe i can go 1.5mile or 2mile without any antenna addons. and magic powers changes the Dbm from 20 to 27 for video transmission. I will post on here if I reach 1.5 or 2mi with stock antenna. Also I have youtube video of me doing the run if anyone wants to call bs. ;)

so are children made to sign a register in the United States not a safe thing to do.
In the U.S. drones are required to register you drones, and there are a lot of restrictions on where you can fly! I know a lot of people don't follow all the rules, I should have kept my opinion to my self! And I don't know the rules were you are, Happy flying..

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
Novice questions:
a. what about line of sight requirements on long distance jaunts?
(oxymoron?)
b. what happens at moment "furthest possible" becomes "too far"
& can one get advanced hint its about to happen?
Question 1: line of sight distance is typically 300m max.
Question 2: furthest possible is the point where you lose remote control ability or you reach battery limit, which varies greatly from model to model. At that point the aircraft normally returns home. Warnings? Well, you'll see signal level dropping until its gone. That's about it.

Congratulations on setting this new distance record with full signal feedback, Dazi1965. To have achieved this sort of range without the use of an elevated mast, is testimony to your skill with radio electronics. I live way out in the sticks also, and happen to be working on my own RC Ground Control Center, built around an 80-foot mast left over from a failed project many moons ago. With amplified antenna set 80-feet above ground, I ought to see some startling signal range performance figures when I launch on those Litchi missions using such a setup.

May I remind critics of long range drone flying, that many nations freely permit unregistered drones to fly beyond visual range, or over populated areas. That said, I was surprised to learn that as of 2021, Canada will rank among those nations that adopt a more tolerant stance towards responsible and safe civilian drone use.

Even within nations living under heavily restricted airspace, there are vast rural areas lying far off the beaten track, where all air traffic traverses at thousands of feet in altitude, leaving perennially empty skies for the discerning rural drone enthusiast to explore in perfect safety.

Disclaimer : Fly with caution, and obey the law,
as it applies wherever you reside on this planet. Mast Rigger 3.jpg.jpgMast Rigger From Above.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Just so you guys know Dazi hasn’t been on since March 3rd. ?
Well I'll be. Dazi might have decided to go incognito, but he can rest easy because his Phantom drone antenna mod secrets are safe with the several hundred readers of this forum. and their extended families.

Congratulations on setting this new distance record with full signal feedback, Dazi1965. To have achieved this sort of range without the use of an elevated mast, is testimony to your skill with radio electronics. I live way out in the sticks also, and happen to be working on my own RC Ground Control Center, built around an 80-foot mast left over from a failed project many moons ago. With amplified antenna set 80-feet above ground, I ought to see some startling signal range performance figures when I launch on those Litchi missions using such a setup.

May I remind critics of long range drone flying, that many nations freely permit unregistered drones to fly beyond visual range, or over populated areas. That said, I was surprised to learn that as of 2021, Canada will rank among those nations that adopt a more tolerant stance towards responsible and safe civilian drone use.

Even within nations living under heavily restricted airspace, there are vast rural areas lying far off the beaten track, where all air traffic traverses at thousands of feet in altitude, leaving perennially empty skies for the discerning rural drone enthusiast to explore in perfect safety.

Disclaimer : Fly with caution, and obey the law,
as it applies wherever you reside on this planet.View attachment 120638View attachment 120639
Where did you find information that Canada's drone laws are changing in 2021? I can't find anything on this. Canada has recently changed their drone laws (such as now allowing flight at night and allowing further flight than VLOS with a spotter) but I can find nothing that states any changes for 2021.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20