New Motor/Prop Help

Reaction score
Hi Guys, new here...If only I knew about this place before yesterday ;o)

So I made the infamous mistake of using the prop guard screws without the guards, all 4 motors are shot. So I ordered T-Motor antiGravity! MN2214 V3.0 because they seemed to be popular on youtube. 1. are these a good choice? 2. Will they work with the existing ESC? 3. How do I know if I fried my ESC as well as the motors? 4. Will the original props that came with my FC40 work on these or will I need to buy props that are not self tightening? (I am also going to buy new props any suggestions?)

Thank you in advance! I removed the prop guards because I just installed one of the cheap Chinese gimbals for a go pro and I was thinking I needed to get her as light as possible. Took her out for a flight test after putting her back together and just jerky prop movement. ;o(

Hi Guys, new here...If only I knew about this place before yesterday ;o)

So I made the infamous mistake of using the prop guard screws without the guards, all 4 motors are shot. So I ordered T-Motor antiGravity! MN2214 V3.0 because they seemed to be popular on youtube. 1. are these a good choice? 2. Will they work with the existing ESC? 3. How do I know if I fried my ESC as well as the motors? 4. Will the original props that came with my FC40 work on these or will I need to buy props that are not self tightening? (I am also going to buy new props any suggestions?)

Thank you in advance! I removed the prop guards because I just installed one of the cheap Chinese gimbals for a go pro and I was thinking I needed to get her as light as possible. Took her out for a flight test after putting her back together and just jerky prop movement. ;o(

1. are these a good choice?
These are a great choice I have them installed on 2 of my FC40s. Improved everything except battery drain but overall a great choice!

2. Will they work with the existing ESC?
Yes you will not have any issues here

3. How do I know if I fried my ESC as well as the motors?
People have done this too many times you definitely damaged the motors but not the ESCs

4. Will the original props that came with my FC40 work on these or will I need to buy props that are not self tightening? (I am also going to buy new props any suggestions?)
Original props work very well, but I bought and use the DJI 9450 self tightening props. DO NOT buy the cheap Chinese ones I guarantee you they will not be balanced and you will have a lot more jello in your video. The cheap ones are not made by DJI.

Enjoy and let us know how things go!

Reactions: DawsonJ77
1. are these a good choice?
These are a great choice I have them installed on 2 of my FC40s. Improved everything except battery drain but overall a great choice!

2. Will they work with the existing ESC?
Yes you will not have any issues here

3. How do I know if I fried my ESC as well as the motors?
People have done this too many times you definitely damaged the motors but not the ESCs

4. Will the original props that came with my FC40 work on these or will I need to buy props that are not self tightening? (I am also going to buy new props any suggestions?)
Original props work very well, but I bought and use the DJI 9450 self tightening props. DO NOT buy the cheap Chinese ones I guarantee you they will not be balanced and you will have a lot more jello in your video. The cheap ones are not made by DJI.

Enjoy and let us know how things go!
Thank you so much! I will keep you updated! Sadly the fastest shipping I could get is a week ;/ So ill repost after I have them in.

If you need any additional help please let me know. The instructions that come with the motors are a little tricky, but there are youtube videos for the installation.

If you need any additional help please let me know. The instructions that come with the motors are a little tricky, but there are youtube videos for the installation.
Thanks again! Motors should be here today or tomorrow. As I am watching the youtube videos for installation, it seems that when using the self tightening props, I need to wire the CW and CCW opposite of what the directions show? Do I need to change the location of the actual motors (CW vs CCW)? I can't wait to get this thing back in the air!

Ok so the motors were waiting for me when I got home from work. I threw them on, wired them up, they are all spinning and in the correct directions. I went to throw on my self tightening FC40 original props and they do not fit. Am I missing something? It seems as though the threads on the motor shafts aren't long enough to reach the threads in the prop. Of course I ordered 2 sets (8 props total) of the Self tightening 9450s ;\ I have a local hobby shop I am going to stop by tomorrow morning and see if they have any props I can use with the nut.

Ok so the motors were waiting for me when I got home from work. I threw them on, wired them up, they are all spinning and in the correct directions. I went to throw on my self tightening FC40 original props and they do not fit. Am I missing something? It seems as though the threads on the motor shafts aren't long enough to reach the threads in the prop. Of course I ordered 2 sets (8 props total) of the Self tightening 9450s ;\ I have a local hobby shop I am going to stop by tomorrow morning and see if they have any props I can use with the nut.

I've never had an issue with putting props on the TMotors. Original FC40 props, 9443 props, or 9450 props all work no issues. I'm curious if you have any pics and wondering exactly which motors you have?

I saw the youtube videos as well for wiring up the motors, but I decided to try something different. Instead of soldering to the ESC, I cut the wires from the old motors and wired it to the new motors to test the rotation and if everything was working correctly first. Once I got everything right, I soldered the wires and covered with heat shrink.

I've never had an issue with putting props on the TMotors. Original FC40 props, 9443 props, or 9450 props all work no issues. I'm curious if you have any pics and wondering exactly which motors you have?

I saw the youtube videos as well for wiring up the motors, but I decided to try something different. Instead of soldering to the ESC, I cut the wires from the old motors and wired it to the new motors to test the rotation and if everything was working correctly first. Once I got everything right, I soldered the wires and covered with heat shrink.
Yeah I cut the wires as well sliced them together and shrink wrapped them. I've never soldered anything in my life so i wasn't going to start on something expensive ;o) So here are the pics of the motors I have. I also just noticed that the threads on the clockwise motors are also clockwise.. and the counter clockwise are CCW... The original props just sit on top of the shaft, they definitely do not reach the threads, and I bought a set of DJI 9450 last night in hopes they would fit. They seem to be a wider diameter they will slide down the shaft and rest where the shaft is notched (flat sides) but they won't spin in either direction.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    719.3 KB · Views: 413
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    717.8 KB · Views: 413
The original props just sit on top of the shaft, they definitely do not reach the threads, and I bought a set of DJI 9450 last night in hopes they would fit. They seem to be a wider diameter they will slide down the shaft and rest where the shaft is notched (flat sides) but they won't spin in either direction.

Attachments

• image1-2.jpeg
    image1-2.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 374
  • image2-2.jpeg
    image2-2.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 379

Yeah I cut the wires as well sliced them together and shrink wrapped them. I've never soldered anything in my life so i wasn't going to start on something expensive ;o) So here are the pics of the motors I have. I also just noticed that the threads on the clockwise motors are also clockwise.. and the counter clockwise are CCW... The original props just sit on top of the shaft, they definitely do not reach the threads, and I bought a set of DJI 9450 last night in hopes they would fit. They seem to be a wider diameter they will slide down the shaft and rest where the shaft is notched (flat sides) but they won't spin in either direction.

Can you check your wiring to make sure the motors are installed correctly and in the right location? I have only seen this if the wrong prop is on the motor. I only had the self tightening props on my FC40's, not the original ones that came with screws. Another way is to test the props on each motor. spin them in both directions to see if they screw on smoothly. You have the right motors, but from what I see it looks like everything is reversed. Please give it a try and let me know. Worse case scenario I will take apart my bird and take pics for you to see exactly what I have. Dont worry we will get everything corrected.

Can you check your wiring to make sure the motors are installed correctly and in the right location? I have only seen this if the wrong prop is on the motor. I only had the self tightening props on my FC40's, not the original ones that came with screws. Another way is to test the props on each motor. spin them in both directions to see if they screw on smoothly. You have the right motors, but from what I see it looks like everything is reversed. Please give it a try and let me know. Worse case scenario I will take apart my bird and take pics for you to see exactly what I have. Dont worry we will get everything corrected.
I double checked last night and all of the motors are turning in the correct directions. I didn't get instructions with my motors so I wrote down the order of wires of the original motors. and I wired them that way. The props, no matter which CW or CCW with both the original and the 9450s simply sit on the top, they don't screw on in any direction they just spin, never reaching the threads. I am assuming even if the motors were in the wrong location, at least one prop from a pair even if it was the wrong one, would screw on, but they don't. I just ordered T motor 9x3 because they are the only non self tightening props that I could find without having to wait until the first week of December for shipping. Thanks again for your help, its gotta be frustrating when us newbs don't really know anything LOL. I get home from work at 10pm tonight, I will take mine apart and take pics of the wiring order etc.

You were correct, my motors are reversed! I have CW on the Left Front, CCW on the Right Front. but the black topped prop went onto the Front right! You are awesome! thanks again for your help! Ill rewire tonight and test her out tomorrow!

You were correct, my motors are reversed! I have CW on the Left Front, CCW on the Right Front. but the black topped prop went onto the Front right! You are awesome! thanks again for your help! Ill rewire tonight and test her out tomorrow!

I'm glad everything worked out and you got everything right. Excited for you for that flight tomorrow! Just relax and enjoy. Remember your pre-flight checklist

• Check for Overhead Power lines or cables (know where your obstacles are)
  • Check for people you don't want to fly over anyone (just in case)
  • Check wind conditions I would say best flying is under 20 MPH
  • Check drone for any damage (just in case)
  • Make sure your batteries are fully charged in radio and phantom (turn on radio first before you connect battery to phantom)
  • Make sure to calibrate compass before you fly for the first time if you have not already (compass dance)
  • If you are flying more than 50 miles from last point you did the compass calibration I like to calibrate again (some people calibrate every time they fly)
  • Once you connect battery wait until you have enough satellites before taking off
  • Make sure home point is set (you will see green blinking fast when it sets home point)
  • After takeoff let phantom hover for a minute before flying just to be sure everything is good.
  • Enjoy!!

Thanks again so much! Took a little longer tonight, shorter wires and fat fingers LOL. I would have given up days ago if I hadn't had your support! Here she is, correct rotation and placement this time ;o) I think since the motors can be wired to rotate in either direction, the CW and CCW on the motors refers to the threads, not where the motors are supposed to go. Maybe this will save someone else some time in the future if they read this.

Attachments

• image1-3.jpeg
    image1-3.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 385
Thanks again so much! Took a little longer tonight, shorter wires and fat fingers LOL. I would have given up days ago if I hadn't had your support! Here she is, correct rotation and placement this time ;o) I think since the motors can be wired to rotate in either direction, the CW and CCW on the motors refers to the threads, not where the motors are supposed to go. Maybe this will save someone else some time in the future if they read this.

It was no problem I'm glad I could help! She looks great! Were you able to take it out flying? Let me know how things go!

It was no problem I'm glad I could help! She looks great! Were you able to take it out flying? Let me know how things go!

I got her to hover about 6 feet off the ground, before it decided to fly backwards on its own about 10 feet into a tree, tumbled to the ground and flipped upside down and the motors didn't shut off for a good 5 seconds on the ground. Took it back inside, hooked it up to computer and ran a IMU calibration and recalibrated the controller (all of which I did before I took her out). I did a motor test and M4 gave me the same sound as the bad motors did, but it was intermittent... When I turned the motor by hand I could feel it sticking. Pulled her apart again (I'm now an expert LOL) couldn't see anything in motor but it felt like something was physically stuck in there so I removed the motor and the c clamp, pulled the bell off. I could see where something was getting stuck and scratching the magnets but couldn't find what it was so I just blew in it and I heard something fly out and hit the wall..Never found what it was but threw her back together and IMU and Controller calibrate and motor test motor sounded fine! I had to go to work so I'm getting ready to try her out again today (I have no wind today!). I definitely noticed a difference when she lifted off, much more vertical ascent which is nice. The old props and the weight of the go pro would make it travel forward while lifting off before. I will keep you posted after the flight! I did also decide to try soldering the wires together and I didn't do too badly! ;o) I've been watching videos on converting into a phantom 2 shell.... I think I got the bug to tinker now that I am not scared to open her up!

And test flight 2, started out great, vertical ascent beautiful, fully charged battery, took her up to about 30 feet immediate red flashing LED and she fell from the sky. Literally 30 seconds in the air from full to dead battery... I was getting 5 minutes with the old motors and same payload. Buying some new batteries today because the craft itself seems to be perfect. I couldn't test other batteries because it crashed front motors into beach sand so I just blew them out and they are free spinning now. Frustrating. I;m going to have to put the prop guards back on, with the go pro and gimbal installed, its too front heavy to land without falling forward. Glad I purchased so many extra props LOL.

I got her to hover about 6 feet off the ground, before it decided to fly backwards on its own about 10 feet into a tree, tumbled to the ground and flipped upside down and the motors didn't shut off for a good 5 seconds on the ground. Took it back inside, hooked it up to computer and ran a IMU calibration and recalibrated the controller (all of which I did before I took her out). I did a motor test and M4 gave me the same sound as the bad motors did, but it was intermittent... When I turned the motor by hand I could feel it sticking. Pulled her apart again (I'm now an expert LOL) couldn't see anything in motor but it felt like something was physically stuck in there so I removed the motor and the c clamp, pulled the bell off. I could see where something was getting stuck and scratching the magnets but couldn't find what it was so I just blew in it and I heard something fly out and hit the wall..Never found what it was but threw her back together and IMU and Controller calibrate and motor test motor sounded fine! I had to go to work so I'm getting ready to try her out again today (I have no wind today!). I definitely noticed a difference when she lifted off, much more vertical ascent which is nice. The old props and the weight of the go pro would make it travel forward while lifting off before. I will keep you posted after the flight! I did also decide to try soldering the wires together and I didn't do too badly! ;o) I've been watching videos on converting into a phantom 2 shell.... I think I got the bug to tinker now that I am not scared to open her up!

Out of curiosity, did you do the compass calibration (compass dance)? After you do that, it should hover in place and not move around much. There are other factors that can cause it to "toilet bowl" while hovering like props that are not balanced, but that should not let it fly backwards by itself. The T-Motors are great you will notice the difference if you somehow have to fly in stronger winds, but I usually do not because I tend to miscalculate the amount of battery I need to get back. If the wind is stronger coming back home it uses more battery.

It is hard to get rid of the tinker bug. I've tried lots of additions, but the best is adding an OSD and video telemetry. Gives you true FPV and more information on screen. Also adding too much means using more battery so I keep it simple.

You have done a great job so far just dont be afraid to try anything you will learn a lot and enjoy it more. Let me know how your flight goes!

Reactions: DawsonJ77
Out of curiosity, did you do the compass calibration (compass dance)? After you do that, it should hover in place and not move around much. There are other factors that can cause it to "toilet bowl" while hovering like props that are not balanced, but that should not let it fly backwards by itself. The T-Motors are great you will notice the difference if you somehow have to fly in stronger winds, but I usually do not because I tend to miscalculate the amount of battery I need to get back. If the wind is stronger coming back home it uses more battery.

It is hard to get rid of the tinker bug. I've tried lots of additions, but the best is adding an OSD and video telemetry. Gives you true FPV and more information on screen. Also adding too much means using more battery so I keep it simple.

You have done a great job so far just dont be afraid to try anything you will learn a lot and enjoy it more. Let me know how your flight goes!
LOL I was doing the compass jig! I also calibrated it at the beach today. It did seem to hover better once it was a few feet higher, and no flying off on its own today. But I did post about the battery failure in another post. I ordered 2 3000mah that are the same size as the phantom batteries today, they should be here Thursday. I have decided to let her sit on the shelf until then. ;o)

LOL I was doing the compass jig! I also calibrated it at the beach today. It did seem to hover better once it was a few feet higher, and no flying off on its own today. But I did post about the battery failure in another post. I ordered 2 3000mah that are the same size as the phantom batteries today, they should be here Thursday. I have decided to let her sit on the shelf until then. ;o)

I get a good 16 minutes with these:

Multistar High Capacity 4000mAh 3S 10C Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack

I had to shave the plastic in the opening of the door to fit the battery but the extra flight time is worth it.

Should look something like in this video. My opening is more rounded though, but you get the general idea.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen