New features coming to the P4

Can't believe this isn't picking up more interest. Not a single mention outside of this thread other than source, and half the people on the thread are shooting the breeze about the ins and outs of Litchi :fearscream:

The fact that they had a round of beta testing in december is positive news I guess Become a DJI Phantom 4 Firmware Beta Tester Do they do this for minor releases??
My real take on this other than my humorous response above, I didn't purchase the P4 last April for these added capabilities and features, but I will welcome them with open arms. If this information is true, I'd still purchase a P4P these features were originally designed for. The camera and extra sensors, alone, are the main upgrade between the two models.

Reactions: Suhail78
I don't think they'll give the goggles option as they are about to market their own.
The litchi program is about $20 so nothing on the price of the quad, fly around closeby first to gain trust... At any time you want to rth. Just push the button same as always.
I find I have much greater control wearing goggles especially in bright sunlight.
There is also dji vr goggles program which is free but not got the same side screen as litchi.

The P4 is around 1000 not 1700 the pro is this.
Precision landing manually is the best and so easy.
What more tracking options do you want?
Rth works fine give it a good altitude...
P4 now costs 1000 on sale but it was 1500 at 1 point so not really that far off. The biggest thing I think really is to know even though DJI is dropping the P4 they are still focused on upgrading it. And why wouldn't you want the quad and factory app to be better and smarter? That's how the 3rd party apps get even better also. I actually rarely use the flight modes because I want to be able fly it myself but when it's needed I use it. The features are also cool to show your non flying buddy's!!

Sent from my LG-H811 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't think they'll give the goggles option as they are about to market their own.
The litchi program is about $20 so nothing on the price of the quad, fly around closeby first to gain trust... At any time you want to rth. Just push the button same as always.
I find I have much greater control wearing goggles especially in bright sunlight.
There is also dji vr goggles program which is free but not got the same side screen as litchi.

Can you give us some more information on that VR goggles program? I would like to try it.

The only feature I would like is the smart RTH, the P4 is almost a tripod sometimes when looking at my video and I am in a hover I have to look at the time line moving because it looks like the video froze. Auto land and takeoff...??? I like, really like to slide in and land my bird smoothly, with practice you get real good at this.

The P4 is around 1000 not 1700 the pro is this.
Precision landing manually is the best and so easy.
What more tracking options do you want?
Rth works fine give it a good altitude...
I was referencing the price of the P4P, that was my point. Forking out the extra cash is currently the only way to get the added features.

I want greater levels of autonomous flight features so that I can achieve better films without a co-pilot. And I know that a manual landing is the best way to do it - but as I often fly from a small platform surrounded by water, any need to trigger RTH including a land would result in disaster. If something ever happened to me, or the link between the controller and the bird, it would be great to know that the P4 wouldn't overshoot by 15ft.

I'm not saying the P4 isn't already fantastic, but so was the P3P and the P3. Hell, my little toy drone was awesome before I got a phantom. I'm just saying that it would be nice to know that the P4 wasn't entirely 'legacy' in the eyes of DJI, by offering some of the capabilities that the new models have. Assuming the hardware is capable of handling it, there really is no reason not to trickle some of the features down.

I'm just saying it'll be like having a new drone without spending a penny. Be happy!

Last edited:
Reactions: JWH
What no facial recognition?......junk!

Precision landing is sick. My Mavic lands no more than a few inches from where I took off. I used it to keep my Mavic out of the mud a few days ago. I was in the mud about 100 yards from my launch spot. hands full of mud because I biffed it. Hit return to home and started walking toward my Razr. Mavic landed in the only dry spot within miles it seemed. Mavics center of gravity make it unlikely to tip on landing. Precision landing is spot on. It will come down.. stop.. move over to land right where it launched. Aside from being functional it is cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know when the updates will be pushed down?

I'll bet money this is only deployed in DJI GO 4, so if you want the features, you have to give up Google Maps and settle for useless HERE maps.

Which, given the features, I'll have to do. Curse you, DJI!

With regard to the leaked update, like most leaked information I'll wait and believe it when I see it (usually it's a bit like Chinese whispers, ad on's).

I like the Dji apps and Litchi, not used Litchi much yet but have to ask if there is a way to lock the mission so you don't accidentally add another waypoint? it's very irritating, must be fat finger syndrome!

Precision landing is sick. My Mavic lands no more than a few inches from where I took off. I used it to keep my Mavic out of the mud a few days ago. I was in the mud about 100 yards from my launch spot. hands full of mud because I biffed it. Hit return to home and started walking toward my Razr. Mavic landed in the only dry spot within miles it seemed. Mavics center of gravity make it unlikely to tip on landing. Precision landing is spot on. It will come down.. stop.. move over to land right where it launched. Aside from being functional it is cool.
Does anyone know technical details of what/how this works? For instance, does the s/w capture and store an image from the Visual Positioning cameras, and then use that for precision positioning after GPS brings is back to the home point?

I can't see any other way to implement this...

Does anyone know technical details of what/how this works? For instance, does the s/w capture and store an image from the Visual Positioning cameras, and then use that for precision positioning after GPS brings is back to the home point?

I can't see any other way to implement this...
That's exactly how it does it mate. A high res image. ANot sure if it means you NEED to take off with your camera facing straight down. I assume so. Apparently it messes up if there is nothing overtly identifiable around you. If the P4 gets it, I'll get a brighter case :)

That's exactly how it does it mate. A high res image. ANot sure if it means you NEED to take off with your camera facing straight down. I assume so. Apparently it messes up if there is nothing overtly identifiable around you. If the P4 gets it, I'll get a brighter case :)
Thanks!

I was referring to the two downward-facing Visual Positioning cameras, as they're decent enough cameras to have sufficient resolution for this purpose. If that's how they do it, then the main camera doesn't come into play.

Thanks!

I was referring to the two downward-facing Visual Positioning cameras, as they're decent enough cameras to have sufficient resolution for this purpose. If that's how they do it, then the main camera doesn't come into play.
Of course - I forget they are cameras. Always assume it is just ultrasonic doing all the downward visual positioning stuff - but I guess the clue is in the name :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119