New features coming to the P4

What is landing protection?

I fly off a "helipad" on a big camcorder tripod. usual I manually land but I tried letting RTH bring it right back planning on cancelling at the last second just to make sure I'm centred. After an 8km flight it can back and was only about 4 inches off the centre of the pad so I was going to let it land. It stopped on it's own 2 feet above, I'm guessing it saw the 4 foot height difference between the pad and ground and called it off because of a perceived incline?
Yes, it takes photographs of the landing area as it is landing, and uses the sensors, and won't land if it detects a perceived uneven surface. Some times these devices are too smart for their own good. I keep it off.

Reactions: BCBasher
Yes, it takes photographs of the landing area as it is landing, and uses the sensors, and won't land if it detects a perceived uneven surface. Some times these devices are too smart for their own good. I keep it off.

Perfect explanation for why it more accurate on this and my spray painted my helipads then jus grass or dirt. It's not a problem I land manually most of the time anyway.

Perfect explanation for why it more accurate on this and my spray painted my helipads then jus grass or dirt. It's not a problem I land manually most of the time anyway.
Hand catching is actually safest, no matter the surface! Keeps dirt and debris out of the motors and protects the delicate gimbal and camera from harm. They hang pretty low on the P4P, with minimal ground clearance!

Still getting comfortable with this only tried once. I used to catch my slowstick back in the day but the prop wasn't spinning at catch time.

Still getting comfortable with this only tried once. I used to catch my slowstick back in the day but the prop wasn't spinning at catch time.
As long as you have the vertical sensors on, it's very stable near the ground. Easy to let it hover in front of you just above head level, and then walk towards it, grabbing the skids, and pulling down on the left stick, until she gives it up! :cool:

Reactions: BCBasher
O have to say before I killed my p4 in the lake yesterday, the new update was working fine and the optimize landing --- auto RTH was accurate within 1-4 inches... unbelievable

O have to say before I killed my p4 in the lake yesterday, the new update was working fine and the optimize landing --- auto RTH was accurate within 1-4 inches... unbelievable
Too bad landing protection wasn't enabled. Should prevent landing on water, unless it was a bird strike, or a tall mast that you hit! :eek:

Too bad landing protection wasn't enabled. Should prevent landing on water, unless it was a bird strike, or a tall mast that you hit! :eek:

Unfortunately after flying my P4 for over a year, I decided to remove the Factory quick release props for instead a screw on base with screw on Wonderful sleek, strong Carbon fibre propellers. All was good for 5 flights during various occasions in the past week. Two days ago I went out and 25 meters high over water on Lake Erie at the cottage one propeller flew off and down it went like a rock into the water.... no damage at all to the AC but tons of sand inside it like all over I cleaned it for 5 hours yesterday blow drying using a vacuum and later on tried to get it up with a new battery and nothing. ☹️

Unfortunately after flying my P4 for over a year, I decided to remove the Factory quick release props for instead a screw on base with screw on Wonderful sleek, strong Carbon fibre propellers. All was good for 5 flights during various occasions in the past week. Two days ago I went out and 25 meters high over water on Lake Erie at the cottage one propeller flew off and down it went like a rock into the water.... no damage at all to the AC but tons of sand inside it like all over I cleaned it for 5 hours yesterday blow drying using a vacuum and later on tried to get it up with a new battery and nothing. ☹️
Bummer! I had a P4P prop come off recently, while handlaunching (apparently not properly snapped on!), managed to hang onto the aircraft, and recovered the prop, reinstalled it properly, and flew on. Could have ended very badly! I was on a balcony overlooking a 150 foot rocky cliff!:eek:

Sorry for that
Just one question what made you change propellers the DJI ones are ok never give me any trouble[/QUOTE
Just wanting the best performance for my P4 .... Saw on DroneValley YouTube the topic on the Solid, quieter, faster, more durable Carbon fibre propellers so I ordered them. I've already had them since July of last year but only installed them last week. They looked awesome on the AC. The black props on the white body was nice.

Attachments

• IMG_4406.JPG
    IMG_4406.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_4407.JPG
    IMG_4407.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 215
I began to develope in my brain that when screwing them down you didn't have to be too tight since they were made so that they rotate opposite of the screw rotation. Meaning when engines run the props tighten.
Obviously got sloppy and did not tighten enough or my theory of what I just wrote is not right. One flew off and now have no Drone and three Carbon Fibre propellers.
My wife reminds me that it could have been worse if it came down over someone on the beach. It was 8pm so very few people but there was some people walking. Don't purposely sit and fly over people but high up when leaving and returning back to land it could of happened. It fell in water cause I was trying to fly over water along the shore line so as to stay away from being over people. It happened 6 minutes after start of flight. The mapping on the screen was 100% accurate.... the lake was a bit rough and you could not see it on the bottom. I walked into the water and watched the screen and my direction of walk matching last green track line when it ended on the screen and my blue light circle of me matched, I was kicking it with my feet in the cloudy water from the rolling in of sand from waves. When I touched it still could not see it. I reached in and felt the props then new it was it. The technology is more accurate then the GPS in our cars... this is to the inch. Can't help not thinking how they could not find the Malaysian Jet when DJI makes such a fine art as this. Even after a crash into water where you cannot see bottom and it's a quarter of a klm away from where you were standing with the controller, the technology is there for you to track it to location exactly even if you can't see it. This is what will drive me to buy another.

Attachments

• IMG_4408.JPG
    IMG_4408.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_4413.JPG
    IMG_4413.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 182

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads