New FAA Reauthorization Bill

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
From the AMA...

The U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate this week released proposed legislation for FAA reauthorization. We are pleased to share that both bills preserve the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and even contain some of the new provisions AMA has been advocating for to further protect our hobby. And while the Special Rule remains in both bills, there are areas of concern that we will continue to address with Congress.

As you may know, the Special Rule for Model Aircraft was passed in 2012 and allows community-based organizations (CBO) like AMA to continue managing our community of hobbyists without unnecessary government regulation.

See it here, UAV info starts on page 67 - https://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/1e5fb629-5fde-49da-9e09-e7bfce702c99/FDA7993A27A984DBEC38510A5DA60E58.s.-1405---faa-bill.pdf?t=1&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&iid=bd31107651324f698ed90c7aaa02d47d&uid=378143162&nid=244+272699400

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm going to have to wait for the Cliff's Notes version. I got to page 31 and my eyes wouldn't stop crossing LOL.

Reactions: tml4191 and LuvMyTJ
Once you scroll to it, or many readers will let you input the page number and it will go right to it. The UAV section is pretty big once you get there... mainly commercial rules.

the Special Rule for Model Aircraft was passed in 2012 and allows community-based organizations (CBO) like AMA to continue managing our community of hobbyists without unnecessary government regulation.
Have either of you come across a definition of a community-based organization and/or list of recognized community-based organizations (so pilots can find rules to follow)? When I emailed the FAA with those questions ([email protected]), they only told me the following:

"The FAA has no defined authority for the recognition of a nationwide community-based organization. Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with any criteria."

"In order to fly your UAS, you must follow the FAA guidelines. The AMA is not a government entity. It is a community-based organization. That’s how they define their organization."

"While the AMA is the largest community-based organization, guiding you to their resources should not be taken as FAA’s endorsement of their resources."

So, it seems the FAA is calling the AMA a community-based organization simply for that fact that the AMA defines themselves as a community-based organization. It's all very odd that these questions cannot be easily answered.

Have either of you come across a definition of a community-based organization and/or list of recognized community-based organizations (so pilots can find rules to follow)?

Wouldn't that take a lot of the mystery and "fog" out of this whole process though? LOL

So, it seems the FAA is calling the AMA a community-based organization simply for that fact that the AMA defines themselves as a community-based organization. It's all very odd that these questions cannot be easily answered.

If only life worked like that. I can call myself Rich & Famous all day long but at the end of the day I'm still poor and unknown.

If I understand correctly (and this is only from some recent conversations with someone from the FAA) they are indeed working to formalize what CBO really are. When/how is still unknown but someone, somewhere is working on it LOL.

If I understand correctly (and this is only from some recent conversations with someone from the FAA) they are indeed working to formalize what CBO really are. When/how is still unknown but someone, somewhere is working on it LOL.
That would be fantastic. Better late than never.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan