New arrival

Reaction score
I'm an Inspire pro owner but wanted something a bit lighter and quicker to set up so i've a P3 Advanced arriving today. Not sure what the firmware will be on it and was wondering if there is anything I should avoid firmware wise or if just updating to the latest is fine.

The latest firmware is stable. If needed, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

Iam keen to know too as my P3 should be here tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The latest firmware is stable. If needed, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

I'm new here and also quite new to the product so no disrespect to you, the helper.

How can you make that qualification when there are numerous field complaints about FW 1.4 and higher being posted on this forum. Especially 1.5 and higher, whereby once you hit 1.5, there is no opportunity to even roll back further than the penultimate release?

DJI have been quoted as saying that it is not mandatory to update if you happy with the product as shipped.

FW 1.6 is merely weeks apart from 1.5 release and that wasn't far ahead from 1.4. The update/fix transparency levels are extremely vague at that, so how can you say that FW 1.6 is stable if it has barely had time out in the field?

Are you being paid to make that recommendation?

All I see here is lots of misinformation contradicting the enthusiasm of many good hobbyists and professionals that have invested their trust and loyalties in DJI Phantom products.

I think DJI need to be far more transparent with their firmware roll outs as they will soon lose the trust of their customer base if they are seen to be continually changing performance specifications without a level of transparency and risk disclosure that is expected in the ICT and aeronautical industries.

This is a good product. The customer needs to understand why a firmware update is required if any.

In the end, there should be change control category rollouts with full disclosure on the intended improvements. The customer should also have a choice whether or not it wants additional feature sets and this should be a separate course for consideration.

Such feature sets or functional additions/removals should be entirely separate from addressing product performance, statutory compliance and safety improvements. It shouldn't be all rolled into a single hastily released firmware update that may not have undergone full regression testing in real world scenarios.

The customer should have an opportunity to contemplate, consider, accept and rollback firmware and software updates if desired as part of a standard EULA.

To answer the OP, IMO I would seriously consider not upgrading your machine past 1.3.20 until the current firmware has had sufficient time to gestate in the field.

Last edited:
How can you make that qualification when there are numerous field complaints about FW 1.4 and higher being posted on this forum.
There will always be numerous complaints with such a large number of people flying Phantoms. And, let's not forget that many complaints are due to a lack of understanding and/or user error.

whereby once you hit 1.5, there is no opportunity to even roll back further than the penultimate release?
That's a choice DJI made. But, for me, I'd rather run the most stable firmware available.

DJI have been quoted as saying that it is not mandatory to update if you happy with the product as shipped.
Right. All firmware updates are optional. Let's hope DJI keeps it that way.

so how can you say that FW 1.6 is stable if it has barely had time out in the field?
Can you prove it's not stable?

Nope. But, if you know a way that I can be paid to continue to make these awesome recommendations, then I'm all ears ;)

I'm new here and also quite new to the product so no disrespect to you, the helper.

That is your idea of respect? Nice...

How can you make that qualification when there are numerous field complaints about FW 1.4 and higher being posted on this forum. Especially 1.5 and higher, whereby once you hit 1.5, there is no opportunity to even roll back further than the penultimate release?

I have flown 1.6 about 18 times. No issues at all. Zero. What, exactly, are you doing that manifests as an issue with the firmware? Are you just reading posts on this forum about FW issues and drawing a conclusion based on those posts?

I have flown 1.6 about 18 times. No issues at all. Zero. What, exactly, are you doing that manifests as an issue with the firmware? Are you just reading posts on this forum about FW issues and drawing a conclusion based on those posts?
Can I 'double-like' this reply :)
I just have.

Reactions: B- Scene Films
I'm an Inspire pro owner but wanted something a bit lighter and quicker to set up so i've a P3 Advanced arriving today. Not sure what the firmware will be on it and was wondering if there is anything I should avoid firmware wise or if just updating to the latest is fine.
Hmm... the price of the Advance dropped to $799 this morning. I hope you got a good deal on yours. :)

Reactions: B- Scene Films
Just bought a P3A myself. Should be here tomorrow. Hope it shows up can't wait.

Hmm... the price of the Advance dropped to $799 this morning. I hope you got a good deal on yours. :)
Really? I just saw this on the DJI website 2min ago. Same $999 price as always. Was there a CES announcement?
upload_2016-1-5_13-1-3.png

Ostensibly YES to both of your questions. Just because everything is dandy with you, are you suggesting that many others here on the DJI firmware upgrade train are having related delusional experiences whist flying?

Perhaps everyone else is wrong and are merely frustrated by the fact that they are stuck at 1.5 and have been denied to be allowed to take their machine back to an earlier state or factory defaults.

Palmai - "member since 01/02/2016"

I may have been lurking for a while but there is no denying that this forum has a LONG history of Phantom 3 firmware update woes.

Evidently, you're the maverick with that factual snippet that does not care to weigh in an opinion or qualification on this topic.

there is no denying that this forum has a LONG history of Phantom 3 firmware update woes.
So, what do you recommend? Should we all jump ship and get a Yuneec? They are surely 100% problem-free.

All I am saying is that everyone should take it slowly. No rush to upgrade to 1.5 or higher every few weeks if your bird is flying fine until the updates have had sufficient time to gestate in the real world.

Notwithstanding, the end user should have a complete understanding what the firmware updates address and exactly what functionality and features have been introduced and what has been lost and/removed. I am uncomfortable with the current lack of disclosure.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl