New ArgTek Install

Reaction score
I just installed the new Argtek Atenna Sytem,... I say new because now for $45 the kit comes with (6) atennas. (2) 2.4 ghz 7dbi panels, (2) 2.4 ghz 7dbi omni sticks, (1) 5.8 ghz 10 dbi omni stick and (1) 5.8 ghz 7 dbi panel.
Install went real smooth, (those little gold connectors are SMALL for my big paws !) but other than that a very easy install.
So I will follow this up with a flight test in the next day or two,.. I was getting anywhere between 1800-2000 ft with stock setup and just a windsurfer,... Im going to the same location with the Argtek and we shall see if theres a difference. I'll link the video I did last week at this very location where I went 1950 ft over water with no problems. I could have pushed it out further but was getting glitchy video feed.

I just installed the new Argtek Atenna Sytem,... I say new because now for $45 the kit comes with (6) atennas. (2) 2.4 ghz 7dbi panels, (2) 2.4 ghz 7dbi omni sticks, (1) 5.8 ghz 10 dbi omni stick and (1) 5.8 ghz 7 dbi panel.
Not sure why folks don't just go with lightbridge without all the modification non-sense. By the time you have all the modifications done, the price of parts and personal time to do so outweigh the additional up front costs. I get 3800ft + with stock and no signal loss whatsoever. Maybe it's just me, but just don't get the reasoning. Not anything against the setup really, just the economics make no sense.

Not sure why folks don't just go with lightbridge without all the modification non-sense. By the time you have all the modifications done, the price of parts and personal time to do so outweigh the additional up front costs. I get 3800ft + with stock and no signal loss whatsoever. Maybe it's just me, but just don't get the reasoning. Not anything against the setup really, just the economics make no sense.
There are many reasons,..first one being affordability,.. P3pro is twice the cost of P3s,...and alot of guys like to tinker in there hobby and improve on deal they may have encountered.... Not everyone has the initial $800 to get lightbridge tech.

Not everyone has the initial $800 to get lightbridge tech.
That's why I mentioned it. The time you put in to do the modifications, as a hobby or not, is worth much more than the parts to do so.
Overall, you will end up paying basically the same price for a lesser aircraft +Parts+time. I get it though, yes tinkering is all well and good, but when it's not needed, nor necessary, the cost outweighs the benefit. That is all I am saying in that regard. I tinker myself at times, but if the technology already exists, ( And this is just from experience) you are wasting your precious time and additional funds to do such that are not needed and will cost you much more than the benefits.

Im sure theres two theories of thought here,...if normally an individual couldnt afford to be into this tech world of droning,..found himself with the opportunity to acquire an affordable p3s,...then a great part of the fun and accomplishment comes from making that ac do things that he or she couldnt normally afford,.. Its a wonderful sense of acomplishment,..and might i remind you,..we are in the P3S section.

Reactions: loonie01
and might i remind you,..we are in the P3S section.
Agreed, but the statements remain fact. I am not bashing or anything near that. I am just trying to understand, how people do not do initial research, then try to create something that already exists, for much more in total costs than the initial investment. New to the world of droning has no bearing on this. It applies much further than that. This is how so many people lose valuable resources that would otherwise be used for a better purpose. Like I said, I am not bashing. Just stating facts. A philanthropist, I am not. But, I think you see what I mean.

Facts = $200 for my p3s,.. + $45 for my Argtek = $245.. And if i get 3000-4000ft,. Im way ahead of the game for less than half the cost of lightbridge.

Reactions: loonie01
Facts = $200 for my p3s,.. + $45 for my Argtek = $245.. And if i get 3000-4000ft,. Im way ahead of the game for less than half the cost of lightbridge.
Bargain price I grant you. But lesser aircraft. Not including anything else. You most likely will not get that range, but if you do there are other entities involved. Personally, after 3500 ft I loose complete visual. If it were not for attached strobes for such. I am a stickler for regulations unfortunately, or fortunately actually. You have read the Guideline's correct? Guess that comes from the work sector for me anyway.

I bought the Phantom 3 Standard because I wasn't sure if I would like it enough to warrant the money. For $400, it has been a lot of fun and it didn't cost much money or time to install the Argtek kit. Also, I bought it not knowing the differences between the various Phantom 3 models. What I miss the most is not the lack of Lightbridge, but the lack of buttons on the remote that I could assign to the camera and not having a wired connection from my phone to the controller.

Bargain price I grant you. But lesser aircraft. Not including anything else. You most likely will not get that range, but if you do there are other entities involved. Personally, after 3500 ft I loose complete visual. If it were not for attached strobes for such. I am a stickler for regulations unfortunately, or fortunately actually. You have read the Guideline's correct? Guess that comes from the work sector for me anyway.
Guidelines you ask.... ? ,... yes ,... been flying 1/4 scale fixed wing nitro twins for over 35 yrs,... my history involves many dif clubs,,.clubs that insured us a place to fly,.. oh by the way,... google or youtube P3S distances,... 12000 -15000 ft has been accomplished. ..wait,.. thats 3 miles

I bought the Phantom 3 Standard because I wasn't sure if I would like it enough to warrant the money. For $400, it has been a lot of fun and it didn't cost much money or time to install the Argtek kit. Also, I bought it not knowing the differences between the various Phantom 3 models. What I miss the most is not the lack of Lightbridge, but the lack of buttons on the remote that I could assign to the camera and not having a wired connection from my phone to the controller.
...and all those controls are found within the app.

Well,..in case anyone was on the edge of their seat waiting to here the results of the Argtek,............its going to be sent back to the merchant tomorrow,...two different flights in two different locations,.(but in locations that Ive flown previously with stock antenna), resulted were very disappointing,... I got 1470 ft and started getting low remote control signal, at just over 1500ft ac was sent home due to loss of signal.,... Ive gotten over 2k ft with stock antenna with just a windsurfer in same locations in same conditions.

When I put the ArgTek on my P3S it made the range and signal quality way worse.

Su
When I put the ArgTek on my P3S it made the range and signal quality way worse.
Such is the case with so many Argtek reports,...seems to be a hit or a miss all over the board...my guess is quality control issues. Ive ordered the Alfa kit,..should be here today ,..i will report the results.

Su

Such is the case with so many Argtek reports,...seems to be a hit or a miss all over the board...my guess is quality control issues. Ive ordered the Alfa kit,..should be here today ,..i will report the results.
My range was greatly improved with the Argtek. There's not much to it. Three wires to the antenna connectors on the controller board, and the antennas themselves. Replacing the antenna's with the Alphas would gain you some distance and it would rule out the Argtek antennas as the source of the problem.

If replacing the Argtek antennas with the Alphas doesn't fix the problem, I would then check the connections on the controller board. Take off the antenna leads and make sure that sockets are clean and do not have any silicon or other goo interfering with the connections.

Reactions: Shaw520
You can add my name to those with bad results of ARGTEK install , no change in distance at all , same as stock , 300m in rural / treed area , 600m in wide open area at the coast , back to stock antenna distance still 300m / 600m :(

Reactions: Shaw520
My Alfa antenna's came yesterday,.. I installed them last night and I just got back from a range test flight just now,.... the test flight area is an area Ive flown many times before. So for each test I fly in the same direction and follow the same flight path. The path consist of gradual hills, many trees, and today there was about a 8-10 mph wind. I flew all test and an alt of 285'

Past results were with zero wind; Stock antenna with wind surfer - 1721 ft RTH initiated.
Argtek antenna with Omni 10dBi stick - 1582 ft RTH initiated
Argtek antenna with 5.8 direction pad - 2088 ft RTH initiated

Todays results with 8-10 mph wind & Alfa antenna kit 2868 ft RTH initiated

Well im very happy with these results,.. I see no need to go any further and Im sure with zero wind and flatter conditions I will easily break 3000 ft which is satisfactory for me.

My Alfa antenna's came yesterday,.. I installed them last night and I just got back from a range test flight just now,.... the test flight area is an area Ive flown many times before. So for each test I fly in the same direction and follow the same flight path. The path consist of gradual hills, many trees, and today there was about a 8-10 mph wind. I flew all test and an alt of 285'

Past results were with zero wind; Stock antenna with wind surfer - 1721 ft RTH initiated.
Argtek antenna with Omni 10dBi stick - 1582 ft RTH initiated
Argtek antenna with 5.8 direction pad - 2088 ft RTH initiated

Todays results with 8-10 mph wind & Alfa antenna kit 2868 ft RTH initiated

Well im very happy with these results,.. I see no need to go any further and Im sure with zero wind and flatter conditions I will easily break 3000 ft which is satisfactory for me.
Which Alpha models did you get? Two of the APA-M04 and one of the APA-M25?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4