Alpha versus Argtek

Reaction score
Has anyone done any range/signal strength test comparing the Alfa APA-M25 2.4/5 GHz dual band directional 10 dBi panel with the Alpha 7 dbi APA-M04 2.4 GHz video/wifi panels against the Argtek Mod same panel set up for the P3 Standard? Just curious because I see about 50percent who installed the Argtek are happy, the other 50 percent, well....

Thoughts anyone?

ARGtek is hit and miss. I had it, I did not like it and my range didn't increase at all.

TIP: Buy it from Amazon so that if it doesn't work out for you, you can EASILY return it.

Or- you can buy JUST the base straight from ARGtek for $25.00 and then run whatever antenna you want.

As Matts says its' hit and miss ... I have very good results with standard Argtek two flat and one stick antenna's ..... 2493m best run ... I did have over 2500m one run but video failed to record (actually I forgot to start it !!).
Even worst range I have with it is over 800m, in residential area ... which is 3x what stock gave me.

Nigel

I have ran the Alfas and I really liked them. At the moment I am using a DBS/ITELITE though. I just prefer the DBS because it is more compact. IMO, performance was slightly better with the Alfas.

I have this coming in the mail today:

Cheap 5.8ghz 14dbi panel.

Unfortunately is is extremely windy today, so I won't even be able to test it. I have my controller set up in a way to where I can easily swap out different antennas and do back to back testing.

Guys, take a look at this vid I took in a wide open field using the Argtek setup, omni 5.4 GHz antenna for the RC and 2 flat 2.4 GHz for vid and wifi. Notice how erratic the up and down links are, close range and then especially when I get out (around 6 minutes in) I get disconnected, twice, with no RTH invoked by Litchi or DJI. I sent this to Litchi and they said it's pretty normal. Really? My set up is P3 Standard using iPad Air 2. Any thoughts as to what might be happening? Sorry I didn't shut off the voice prompts.

Link to video - Dropbox - Litchi Test Run iPad Air2.mov

Thanks guys

Matt, I bought the Argtek with the 6 antenna's and I had bad disconnect problems. Probably my installation, but do you have a link to the $25 argtek base ? I can't get mine apart to put in the better wires I bought. I didn't see it on argtek's website.
Thanks....
Oh I put my stock antenna's back and today I took it out to 2200ft with no loss of signal.

Or- you can buy JUST the base straight from ARGtek for $25.00 and then run whatever antenna you want.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I set my DBI up so that I could still use other antennas. The two Wi-Fi's on each corner and the 5.8 in the center. I've also had disconnects. I'm wondering if the wifi cable by the mode switch is causing interference and throwing the bird into atti mode? I'm considering some shielding around the underside of the mode switch.

Last edited:
Most shielding is in fact just plain Aluminium Foil .... as used in the kitchen.

Nigel

That's what I was thinking. A piece of foam back foil wrapped around the bottom of the switch and/or the antenna coax.

Why foam backed ? But be careful as you don't want to 'short' any contacts on back of switch etc.

Nigel

Ummmm.....Exactly why you want foam backed! To help prevent shorts against any contacts. Foam side against the switch.

Ok. I'm at work and had a few foam scraps, painters tape and foil. I wrapped the two coaxes next to the switches with foil, painters tape around the switches as just an extra barrier and foam between the foil and switches, again, just for an extra layer of protection. I placed foam over the gimbal roll controller as well since there is a piece of foil on the coax directly above it. This is a temp trial until I get some foam backed foil tape. Now if the weather will straighten up!
IMG_20170309_112228849.jpg
IMG_20170309_112727606.jpg

Matt, I bought the Argtek with the 6 antenna's and I had bad disconnect problems. Probably my installation, but do you have a link to the $25 argtek base ? I can't get mine apart to put in the better wires I bought. I didn't see it on argtek's website.
Thanks....
Oh I put my stock antenna's back and today I took it out to 2200ft with no loss of signal.

Or- you can buy JUST the base straight from ARGtek for $25.00 and then run whatever antenna you want.

You have to call ARGTEK and tell them that you would like to purchase a replacement base.

Heres the Argtek set up so the wires, which are supposed to. E shielded are no where near the S1 or S2
e70c38ff11a6a31db610a15bec829673.jpg

Heres the Argtek set up so the wires, which are supposed to. E shielded are no where near the S1 or S2
e70c38ff11a6a31db610a15bec829673.jpg
I have the argtek as well, but I wanted to keep the option of using other antennas when I went with the DBS Mod. I have used the alphas with this configuration and they worked well. I just had the disconnect issue and think that there might possibly be an issue with the coax almost touching the mode switches.

Anyone know of a good screen recorder app for ipad using dji app? I want to test the new Alpha panels.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20