Disappointing ARGtek results. Am I missing something?

• Thread starter Deleted member 120408
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 120408

I received and installed the Argtek kit this morning and am blown away that I am getting worse distance than with just stock antennas. I am able to sit in my front yard or even backyard and easily fly around a mile out without much trouble. I expected to at least make it as far and hopefully further than my max distance of 7400' stock. I even pick up more interference with the Argteks, less with the omni's than the directional panels. What to check? Connections are good, double checked, I'm getting signal but I can't get but about 3000' away from the same positions without losing every bit of signal and RTH. My plan was to use them thinking it couldn't be worse than stock and down the road if I wanted to tinker with yagi's, or big panels I would already have the clean install portion done and for short trips I have the two sets of antenna to screw on/off. Any ideas?

I'm at a loss. Installed mine a few weeks ago and doubled my range. Greatest distance I've had so far, without really trying, was about 6800 ft. I was at max legal altitude and just flying between my house and main farm which is, as the crow flies, about 6500'. Maybe you got a sour one? One of the smarter ones around here will know more than me. Sorry you're having trouble with yours. Love mine.
I've read here, and on other forums, that there are different levels to the ARGtek range extenders, and apparently theres a few lower quality copies available too. I don't know where you purchased yours from, but I'd definitely do some checking about refunds/replacement.

Brad

Last edited:
Was the 6800' before or after the argtek install? Maybe I'm expecting too much.

NVM. I see it doubled your distances. That makes me scratch my head. LOL. How were you only getting 3000+- from stock antennas on a farm? I'm flying across my rural town and sitting under my porch roof and getting out to a mile at 200' alt. before my first video issue and I just raise the altitude a bit until it clears. At 7400' I was at 400' and RTH. With the argteks I'm having to move to 400' alt at around 3000 and then signal just falls flat RTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno. Never had great range until I did the ARGtek upgrade. Best I could get before was about 2600, maybe 3000 on a good day. Firmware, maybe? Like I said, much smarter guys than me on here. They'll help figure it out.

Hi Skyhighstalker,
How you been? I see that you are venturing out a long way. You’re braver than I am!
I’m happy to hear that you are having fun with the P3P. I thought about trying a antenna mod before, and hear the pros and cons,,about 50/50 both ways. I decided not to at this time because of the terrain in my area (lots of trees and other vision obstacles).
There was a brand and model number that I read about and had good reviews on, cannot remember the name at the moment but I will look it up today and post it for you. Have a great day ?

Hey Leland! We are having the best time. I had my first headbutt with Army Corp of Engineers at the local lake we live near bit after a call to FAA and the District Manager/Commander I'm happy to say I got my first special permit granted to launch/land within the park and fly within my predefined flight path. A lot of hoops but worth it none the less. Got some cool photos and video and of course who can argue with wide open spaces with close to zero frequency interference...love that! We are in Eureka Springs this weekend, already got permission from the city to fly and get photos and videos of downtown in the basin area.

I am probably expecting too much from the ARGtek. I will say upon opening it, the antenna are so light and the plastic so thin I wasn't impressed with the level of quality or sure of it's longevity. I will more than likely return it and go to MaxxUAV for a quality panel. I plan to eventually boost anyway so...

Good to hear from you! I'll send some of the pics when we get bear a PC.

Jason

Hi Jason, good news! Sounds like you’re well on your way to some great flying opportunities! Getting good flight reviews in special and limited permitted areas are like having a great resume.
Itelite dbs antennae’s I have heard do well also. They have several models to choose from too.
I’ll look forward to seeing some of your pictures.
We still have quite a bit of wildfire smoke in my area ,so getting good clean pictures of Kachemak Bay and the Kenai mountains with the glaciers isn’t happening right now.
Have a great weekend and keep it in the air ?
Leland

Hi Jason, good news! Sounds like you’re well on your way to some great flying opportunities! Getting good flight reviews in special and limited permitted areas are like having a great resume.
Itelite dbs antennae’s I have heard do well also. They have several models to choose from too.
I’ll look forward to seeing some of your pictures.
We still have quite a bit of wildfire smoke in my area ,so getting good clean pictures of Kachemak Bay and the Kenai mountains with the glaciers isn’t happening right now.
Have a great weekend and keep it in the air ?
Leland

Here's a cool one from the Lake before we left for Eureka Springs.

Attachments

• DJI_0030.JPG
    DJI_0030.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 179
Eureka Springs

Attachments

• DJI_0005-jpg.jpg
    DJI_0005-jpg.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 232
  • DJI_0010-jpg.jpg
    DJI_0010-jpg.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 231