New 2700mAh 30C Battery

nwillitts said:
original p1 batt weighs 170.5g. the new ones weigh 194g.
Lets hope you get more than 24 seconds of additional flight time. The "theory" I've heard is; once you're at or over max weight, each gram cost you 1 second of flight time.....
I took off my painted blade guards, and gained almost 60 seconds of flight time before the 1st level warning came on...go figure.

havasuphoto said:
nwillitts said:
Lets hope you get more than 24 seconds of additional flight time. The "theory" I've heard is; once you're at or over max weight, each gram cost you 1 second of flight time.....
I took off my painted blade guards, and gained almost 60 seconds of flight time before the 1st level warning came on...go figure.
well,i have another batt i bought a month ago,its a hyperion cxg 2500mah,it powers my p1 with gopro3 for a little over 12 minutes,and it weighs the same as the new ones.
so,i should get another minute or 2.

havasuphoto said:
nwillitts said:

1g per second is a good rule of thumb generally for the phantom even under the max takeoff weight. Once you are over ~1300g, it goes WAY up from there.

ElGuano said:
Looking forward to the results. If it's not too much trouble can you include cell voltages at rest immediately after flight and 5 minutes afterwards? It'd also be great to know what capacity they recharge to after a drain to 10.8-11.0v (again at rest).

Okay I've got about another two minutes of flight time, Not sure how most do their testing but on this first one I landed and shut motors down at exactly 5 mins and tested the cells at full I had 12.5v /4.18- 4.17- 4.20, After five minutes of flight constant flying back and forth up and down I got a reading of 11.61v/3.88-3.87-3.86. I took it up for another 4 mins before I started getting red flashes on my first low voltage warning on LED, End reading was 11.4/ 3.82-3.83-3.81 It was 32 degress and wind at 1mph!
I was getting 6 to 7 with my stock 2200mAh with the 2700mAh I'm getting 9 to 10! Note that I have a Fat Shark camera and transmitter with no antenna attached and two LED lights which where not plugged in at time of testing and I have carbon fiber landing skids to add to wait! I will be getting my whole unit weighed tomorrow and will hopefully get some more time to fly it and test the battery more as the test was based on one flight!
The battery its self is a little shorter in length but a little bit taller also the lead is a little longer so it makes for a tight fit in my unit only because I added longer screws to my landing gear but I'm sure most will find it to their liking!!
So far I like it but then again like I said it has only been one flight and I only had it for one day so we'll have to see what others get out and I'll post more when I can fly in day light on a nice day..

phantomflyer said:
ElGuano said:
Looking forward to the results. If it's not too much trouble can you include cell voltages at rest immediately after flight and 5 minutes afterwards? It'd also be great to know what capacity they recharge to after a drain to 10.8-11.0v (again at rest).

Okay I've got about another two minutes of flight time, Not sure how most do their testing but on this first one I landed and shut motors down at exactly 5 mins and tested the cells at full I had 12.5v /4.18- 4.17- 4.20, After five minutes of flight constant flying back and forth up and down I got a reading of 11.61v/3.88-3.87-3.86. I took it up for another 4 mins before I started getting red flashes on my first low voltage warning on LED, End reading was 11.4/ 3.82-3.83-3.81 It was 32 degress and wind at 1mph!
I was getting 6 to 7 with my stock 2200mAh with the 2700mAh I'm getting 9 to 10! Note that I have a Fat Shark camera and transmitter with no antenna attached and two LED lights which where not plugged in at time of testing and I have carbon fiber landing skids to add to wait! I will be getting my whole unit weighed tomorrow and will hopefully get some more time to fly it and test the battery more as the test was based on one flight!
The battery its self is a little shorter in length but a little bit taller also the lead is a little longer so it makes for a tight fit in my unit only because I added longer screws to my landing gear but I'm sure most will find it to their liking!!
So far I like it but then again like I said it has only been one flight and I only had it for one day so we'll have to see what others get out and I'll post more when I can fly in day light on a nice day..

Encouraging first results! I may have been a little unclear about my requested methodology, but if you're still up for some testing this weekend:

1. Charge batteries fully
2. Insert and fly the Phantom continuously until you reach your level 1 alarm (assuming your level 1 is around the 10.6 loaded range). Land and note the flight time.
3. Disconnect the battery, and immediately check and note the voltage. If you're using ~80% of your charge, the ending voltage should be between 10.9-11.0v (ballpark).
4. After 5 minutes of resting the battery disconnected, check the voltage again. It may rise to 11.0-11.1v, but note this.
5. Charge the battery and note the time to charge and the mah put back into the pack (assuming you have a cpu smart charger).

Then, let us know the results!

You noted you had a vTX with no antenna installed. I'm sure you're already aware that most transmitters warn against ever powering them on without an antenna, as the antenna heatsinks the unit. It sounds like it wasn't powered up, but just in case...

An ending voltage of 11.4v suggests you have a lot of juice left on the table. What's your NAZA low voltage values set to? If it's something like 10.9v loaded, I doubt you're using even 70% of your battery at that setting. My level 1 alarm is 10.6v, which leaves me with 10.9v after flight, 11.1v resting, and 80% (~3600mah) put back into the pack on charge.

I guess I forgot to mention that the transmitter was unplugged also! My Naza setting is first alarm (No load 11.30) ( Loss 0.60) (Loaded 10.70) and second alarm (11.20) (0.60) (10.60).
I'm still new at all this and just got my voltage tester with buzzer the other day so sorry I don't have anything to test the mAh!
Are my settings right? I checked on the software and the voltage read the same as the tester so I didn't have to cal. But it makes me wonder why I seem to get an early low voltage warning? I can fly around for a good 8 mins and the I will get a blinking red if I give it throttle but will go away in a hover. I'm assuming this is my first level warning light right, Then why would it show 11.4v? Not sure but my other battery is doing the same with a end reading of 11.3 when I got the red blinking giving it throttle! I'll have to check things out a little better during the daylight hours but if you see anything funny in my readings or know the cause of my early warning please let me know, Thanks..

Hey guys, newb question....

Why would I need a battery tester/balancer?
After reading this thread would it simply be to see how much "juice" we use while in flight?

Apparently this is turning into a New England thread. I'm ok with it. You want to keep the cells within your batteries at equal levels for battery longevity and safety purposes. A check on the balance can indicate that something is wrong before you get a puffy battery and a boom. I'm still pretty noobtastic, but that's my understanding of it. Some people probably take a little voltage checker to the field to make sure nothing happened to the battery in between the charge and the flight.

mediaguru said:
So what's the final verdict on these? I've only got 3 stock Phantom 1 batteries and looking to get more. Is this the ticket?
Has been bad weather here since the night I did the first test but should be better this afternoon! I was hoping that we would get some feed back from others on this post who bought the battery but I'm assuming they got bad weather to. To tell you the truth I say go for it. It's a nice ebayer and they are tested and true 2700mAh battery's with a six month warranty on them so I don't see how you can go wrong! Does anyone know of a good way to test these indoors? Should I just turn it on with the props off and rev the motors until I get the first warning light to do a test or will this be bad for my motors?

Not bad, just not indicative of actual load. I like testing certain mods indoors, but batteries/flight time tests will give you skewed results as you're just hovering an PD also not dealing with wind, actual flight conditions, etc.

ElGuano said:
Not bad, just not indicative of actual load. I like testing certain mods indoors, but batteries/flight time tests will give you skewed results as you're just hovering an PD also not dealing with wind, actual flight conditions, etc.
I understand that but if I test one battery in the same conditions as the other you think that it would give me some kind of indication of how much more I'll get from the 2700mAh! If I take the props off and rev the motors until I get the first LED warning and say it took fifteen minutes with the stock 2200mAh with no weight load then I would only guess the 2700mAh under the same conditions would give me more time "But how much will be the test". Its kind of the same as testing it outdoors in flight except you know they are both in the same conditions as the other because one may be getting more wind then the other or more throttle being used at time of testing, This is just to get the how much more time then the regular 2200mAh not my actual flying time because everyone's Phantom is different in weight and performance there would be no way to get actual readings in flight time!!
I just don't want to burn out or ruin my motors trying this and if there is no issue with testing that way then I will just go ahead and try it one battery at a time to get those readings. Anyone do testing like this?

phantomflyer said:
mediaguru said:
So what's the final verdict on these? I've only got 3 stock Phantom 1 batteries and looking to get more. Is this the ticket?
Has been bad weather here since the night I did the first test but should be better this afternoon! I was hoping that we would get some feed back from others on this post who bought the battery but I'm assuming they got bad weather to. To tell you the truth I say go for it. It's a nice ebayer and they are tested and true 2700mAh battery's with a six month warranty on them so I don't see how you can go wrong! Does anyone know of a good way to test these indoors? Should I just turn it on with the props off and rev the motors until I get the first warning light to do a test or will this be bad for my motors?
It won't hurt the motors-but, it really won't test anything either. GPS mode uses more power because regardless of your throttle position, you'll sometimes notice 1 or 2 engines revving higher, to maintain position.

So, the only true test is something that is repeatable. I would go out to where I normally fly, and do a flight test, and when you get to within a minute of when you normally get the 1st level warning, bring the aircraft back, and keep it in a high hover so you can see the flash of the 1st level warning. Try and take note of the time-using either the video timeline, or a stop watch.
Then land within say 10 seconds of getting the first warning-not just a momentary flash, but solid flashing red lights, and take a voltage reading. Wait 5 or 10 minutes after you've removed the battery, and take a 2nd voltage reading.

Don't use the voltage "meter" that is built into the Phantom-use one of the hand-held meters to get an accurate reading.

Just my 2 cents.

phantomflyer said:
I understand that but if I test one battery in the same conditions as the other you think that it would give me some kind of indication of how much more I'll get from the 2700mAh! If I take the props off and rev the motors until I get the first LED warning and say it took fifteen minutes with the stock 2200mAh with no weight load then I would only guess the 2700mAh under the same conditions would give me more time "But how much will be the test". Its kind of the same as testing it outdoors in flight except you know they are both in the same conditions as the other because one may be getting more wind then the other or more throttle being used at time of testing, This is just to get the how much more time then the regular 2200mAh not my actual flying time because everyone's Phantom is different in weight and performance there would be no way to get actual readings in flight time!!
I just don't want to burn out or ruin my motors trying this and if there is no issue with testing that way then I will just go ahead and try it one battery at a time to get those readings. Anyone do testing like this?

You can get repeatable results that way but they won't tell you anything about real world flying performance, because the draw at load is not linear. You may get 30% more in this test but it won't necessarily translate to 30% more flight time.

havasuphoto said:
phantomflyer said:
mediaguru said:
It won't hurt the motors-but, it really won't test anything either. GPS mode uses more power because regardless of your throttle position, you'll sometimes notice 1 or 2 engines revving higher, to maintain position.

So, the only true test is something that is repeatable. I would go out to where I normally fly, and do a flight test, and when you get to within a minute of when you normally get the 1st level warning, bring the aircraft back, and keep it in a high hover so you can see the flash of the 1st level warning. Try and take note of the time-using either the video timeline, or a stop watch.
Then land within say 10 seconds of getting the first warning-not just a momentary flash, but solid flashing red lights, and take a voltage reading. Wait 5 or 10 minutes after you've removed the battery, and take a 2nd voltage reading.

Don't use the voltage "meter" that is built into the Phantom-use one of the hand-held meters to get an accurate reading.

Just my 2 cents.
Like I said I'm testing a 2200mAh over a new 2700mAh in the same conditions indoors as I would be if I where to take them both outside and flew them around in the same path under the same wind conditions! If I take them out and fly them in the same wind speed and weight of my Phantom shouldn't testing them indoors the same way as one another give me the same results? Except of course I'd get more time out of the both of them then I would if I was to actually fly them, It will still show me that the 2700mAh will give me 5 or more minutes then the 2200mAh stock! To tell you the truth you'd think that testing them this way would be better because like I said before everyone's Phantom is different in weight and how they fly it and in what conditions. This way you can say at a stand still "No Hover" just sitting there with props off on the ground and maybe throttle stick up on both tests you'd get a better reading on how many more minutes you'd get from a 2700mAh then a 2200mAh right?

ElGuano said:
phantomflyer said:

You can get repeatable results that way but they won't tell you anything about real world flying performance, because the draw at load is not linear. You may get 30% more in this test but it won't necessarily translate to 30% more flight time.
I could test the hell out what I get for flight time on this battery but it doesn't mean it will be the same for others Phantoms, I could get 5 extra minutes and you could get 3 on your setup. So there is no actual readings being done on what I'm going to get or what your going to get, right? This way would be the only way to get a close comparison on the both of them I'd think. But instead of me trying to explain what I'm seeing I'd like to hear others results in flight with the battery..

Doing indoors like you propose will definitely give you different results. And of course the bigger battery will yield more time.

But-I like "real world" flying conditions. I understand you have wind/weather where you are, and that flying in those conditions may not be a good idea. Don't.
Don't be in a rush....we're patient. The idea would be for you to do a back to back flight....same path, same day, about 10 minutes apart, and compare them that way.

My Phantom is a pig-it weighs 1270 grams. So, if your Phantom has Zenmouse, FPV, iOSD, Circular P Antenna, it also weighs pretty close to what mine weighs.
A difference of a few grams, equal a few second. For example; when I put my blade guards on(80 grams painted?), I lose over 1 minute of flight time...so, they stay in the nice pretty box 99% of the time.

If the weather sucks.....go watch Football!!! :)

havasuphoto said:
Doing indoors like you propose will definitely give you different results. And of course the bigger battery will yield more time.

But-I like "real world" flying conditions. I understand you have wind/weather where you are, and that flying in those conditions may not be a good idea. Don't.
Don't be in a rush....we're patient. The idea would be for you to do a back to back flight....same path, same day, about 10 minutes apart, and compare them that way.

My Phantom is a pig-it weighs 1270 grams. So, if your Phantom has Zenmouse, FPV, iOSD, Circular P Antenna, it also weighs pretty close to what mine weighs.
A difference of a few grams, equal a few second. For example; when I put my blade guards on(80 grams painted?), I lose over 1 minute of flight time...so, they stay in the nice pretty box 99% of the time.

If the weather sucks.....go watch Football!!! :)
I hate football nothing but men in tights, To gay for my blood lol. Weather should be good later and I do want to get actual flight readings on it I just figured this would be a better way to test them but I guess not lol.

We're not trying to arrive at universally uniform results. A real world percentage difference is useful though. The problem is running without props isn't indicative of that since the load factor is completely different.

No need to run the tests if you find it annoying or tedious, I just thought you'd be interested in quantitative results since you brought up and made the commitment to try these batteries.

No I am wanting to get and provide a real in flight test but also trying to find a way to do it indoors that would provide the same results! Also because the **** wind won't let up to let me fly lol. I'll do my own little test indoors and provide what I can. On the first indoor test I figured if I get 15mins on 2200mAh and 20mins 2700mAh then for those who want to do a rough estimate if your only getting say 10mins on your stock 2200mAh in real world flight then you can expect 15mins on the 2700mAh in real world flight! This first test shows that every ones Phantom is running in the same manner with the exception of motor condition "No props, No weight, No wind, etc. etc." Then I'll provide flight time and numbers flying it when weathers better..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl