Narrow Sensing mode caused P4P to ignore controls

Reaction score
After seeing the DJI tutorial video on "narrow sensing mode" which says that "your aircraft will fly through with ease" as the Phantom flies perfectly centered between 2 tree trunks, I had to try it out. As I approached a doorway in Tripod mode, the aircraft drifted to the left so I stopped forward movement and tried to recenter it . At that point I got a weird warning message (see screen shot below) that the controls had been disabled and I watched helplessly as it drifted into left door frame and crashed. As you can see from the screen capture below of the flight log replay just before the crash, the controls were frozen out and applying right stick did nothing.

Other than the tutorial I can't find any documentation on narrow sensing mode, its not even mentioned in the P4P manual v1.2.

Can anyone explain what happened here?

IMG_1915.JPG

After seeing the DJI tutorial video on "narrow sensing mode" which says that "your aircraft will fly through with ease" as the Phantom flies perfectly centered between 2 tree trunks, I had to try it out. As I approached a doorway in Tripod mode, the aircraft drifted to the left so I stopped forward movement and tried to recenter it . At that point I got a weird warning message (see screen shot below) that the controls had been disabled and I watched helplessly as it drifted into left door frame and crashed. As you can see from the screen capture below of the flight log replay just before the crash, the controls were frozen out and applying right stick did nothing.

Other than the tutorial I can't find any documentation on narrow sensing mode, its not even mentioned in the P4P manual v1.2.

View attachment 79011
Wow that sucks! I've been thinking about trying this mode myself. Does not seem right that it would freeze you out at all!

On the few occasions I have flown really close to objects I find the avoidance systems a real problem taking control and locking out the sticks just when I don't want them - if I am doing
Close up work I tend to turn avoidance off - but keep the ground positioning on which helps it stay fixed. That way when I give an input it reacts

It may not have been narrow sensing mode but rather being in a confined space with OA on. This can cause problems when the aircraft tries to actively avoid obstacles but has nowhere to go.

View attachment 79011
Sounds like a facility to studiously avoid until all the bugs are cleared, which is probably why no mention is made of it in the manual.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.