My video feed is bad enough to be a safety issue on my P4P

Reaction score
There's no problems what so ever with the RC feed, however, the video feed is really bad. I just got my bird back from Care Refresh, and the issue is even more pronounced than it was before the crash. I'm using an iPad Pro 10.5" 512Gb with plenty of storage space left. I always shut down all apps, except for DJI GO 4 when flying. It's absolutely bizarre, with 5 bars showing on the HD icon, I'm still getting serious lag, and dropouts. The HD icon will go from 5 bars to none on a dime, and then back up to 5. Will it help to fly in airplane mode(I keep forgetting to try this)? I have the same issues when I switch to my iPhone X. Also, I have an extra RC I can try pairing, but this didn't help last time I tried. I generally fly between 2500-3500' away, and use primarily a Titan Atlas 2.4Ghz antenna, which works great on my Mavic Pro Platinum. Will a set of the newest version of the Epson Movero FPV goggles help(I'm mainly getting them for the Phantom Pro V2.0 with Occusync)? In general, I'm not getting the green screens I was getting from using an iPad Mini 4. I really love everything about the P4P, except for this issue, and Lightbridge. After I get the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, I'll mainly use the P4P for backup, and for the more risky flights and for practicing VLOS maneuvers. I've never heard of anyone having this degree of poor video feed, except with the iPad Mini 4. Thank you in advance if you have any suggestions, as I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point.

Have you tried a different USB to Lightning cable? That's where I would start based on your description of the problem. But, you also mention "the crash" though. Did you get the same unit back? If not, this would take me right back to the cable...

You have a lot of variables going on there. New bird or same repaired bird? An antenna mod. What firmware is everything on? Considering the antenna mod, I'd go back in and make sure the antenna connections are properly seated. Or, pair a different remote and try a flight. Maybe the Titan antenna itself is the problem. Try custom channel and 4mbs video feed and turn off video caching in the app. Work through one fix at a time otherwise you won't know what helped if it corrects.

Have you tried a different USB to Lightning cable? That's where I would start based on your description of the problem. But, you also mention "the crash" though. Did you get the same unit back? If not, this would take me right back to the cable...
Thank you very much for the reply, and also for asking if I got the same bird back, which I did not, so that reminds me I need to register it with the FAA. I will try another cable, and have been using the proprietary Apple cable, which I have several of.

Yeh start from the cable,if going from 5 to none and back up try changing transmission channels,might find it better on custom instead of auto which chooses for you but being changing all the time it will find interference off something sometimes,airplane mode does help if you can remember,little sticker help remind,

^^ what Brockrock said, definitely the first logical steps, I would also try reloading latest revs and setting to factory default, TX and AC, and configure just the basic absolutely needed by hand, and see if that fixed things. 40+ t-shooting electronics and software taught me way too often, reload, default, and reconfig based on what you now know to be critical, then stop there and test. Often it works, and you can go from there. I have had a p4p+ for about 2 years, run the latest greatest revs, and I routinely take it 5 miles (to the other side of the water from me) and use a good number of functions. That being said if you are a hardcore photog, I would follow the last 2 steps, factory default everything but keep the rev the respected p4p photogs say is best. I have kept a lot of go pros from going back to best buy simply by saying... google a factory default and try again, low and behold when they were acting funky and just screwing up... it works again.
Couldn't hurt, and if it's still broke, get a 3rd from amazon, it's certainly not unheard of to get a bad one, they are fairly complex after all. IMHO
Good luck!

Reactions: Ripper7620
You have a lot of variables going on there. New bird or same repaired bird? An antenna mod. What firmware is everything on? Considering the antenna mod, I'd go back in and make sure the antenna connections are properly seated. Or, pair a different remote and try a flight. Maybe the Titan antenna itself is the problem. Try custom channel and 4mbs video feed and turn off video caching in the app. Work through one fix at a time otherwise you won't know what helped if it corrects.
Thank you very much for the reply, that's a great way to narrow it down, much appreciated.
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I just updated the FW today, so I believe I'm on the latest. Also, the Titan works great on my Mavic Pro Platinum.

Last edited:
Yeh start from the cable,if going from 5 to none and back up try changing transmission channels,might find it better on custom instead of auto which chooses for you but being changing all the time it will find interference off something sometimes,airplane mode does help if you can remember,little sticker help remind,
Thank you for the reply, I've never tried a custom channel, just never remember to try it when I'm out, but I will give it a try.

^^ what Brockrock said, definitely the first logical steps, I would also try reloading latest revs and setting to factory default, TX and AC, and configure just the basic absolutely needed by hand, and see if that fixed things. 40+ t-shooting electronics and software taught me way too often, reload, default, and reconfig based on what you now know to be critical, then stop there and test. Often it works, and you can go from there. I have had a p4p+ for about 2 years, run the latest greatest revs, and I routinely take it 5 miles (to the other side of the water from me) and use a good number of functions. That being said if you are a hardcore photog, I would follow the last 2 steps, factory default everything but keep the rev the respected p4p photogs say is best. I have kept a lot of go pros from going back to best buy simply by saying... google a factory default and try again, low and behold when they were acting funky and just screwing up... it works again.
Couldn't hurt, and if it's still broke, get a 3rd from amazon, it's certainly not unheard of to get a bad one, they are fairly complex after all. IMHO
Good luck!
Thank you very much, I appreciate it, and will try your advice.

Shockwave is spot on too, I forgot the part about the antenna mod, definitely a possible culprit on the TX side since the antenna load works fine on Mavic.

You need to put your existing FAA ID on all your drones. It's to ID you, not the bird.
Also, are there obstruction between the remote and the bird? It's been my experience that obstructions are way more troublesome than distance.
The Movierio might make a difference, as it replaces the tablet, if I understand how it works.

Reactions: Ripper7620
You need to put your existing FAA ID on all your drones. It's to ID you, not the bird.
Also, are there obstruction between the remote and the bird? It's been my experience that obstructions are way more troublesome than distance.
The Movierio might make a difference, as it replaces the tablet, if I understand how it works.
Yes, there are significant trees that the signal has to push through.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj