My Vision Crashed out of sky during GS test for no reason

Re: My Vision Crashed out of sky during GS test for no reaso

how was the battery? is it puffed up at all? at what charge do you store your battery?

The reason I'm asking is because I've had a rapid descent recently when I was flying with an old battery I bought with the P2V in January. The battery indication was still showing 50% but the in app alarm went off and rear LEDs on the Phantom were flashing red. Luckily I was already on the way down by then and was only 6ft off the ground but the phantom quickly descended and powered off on landing.

Flighttime said:
how was the battery? is it puffed up at all? at what charge do you store your battery?

The reason I'm asking is because I've had a rapid descent recently when I was flying with an old battery I bought with the P2V in January. The battery indication was still showing 50% but the in app alarm went off and rear LEDs on the Phantom were flashing red. Luckily I was already on the way down by then and was only 6ft off the ground but the phantom quickly descended and powered off on landing.

The battery shell was damaged but battery is still working with LED lights shows 75% plus battery left. This is not a decent case, this is the motors shutoff in mid-air and the vision falls like a stone ! Camera was totally shattered and I could not find the SD card, so no video. Too bad

I fixed the aircraft last night, but could not fix the camera. I took the aircraft out for a test flight and it was performing as expected, but after about 7 minutes or so, the DJI Phantom 2 Vision shows the mid-air motors shutdown trick again right in front of me with a camera. I finally got it on tape. Will post to Youbute soon for you to analysis the possible cause.

my P2V+has done this twice. first time I blamed it on a low battery but second time it was 90%. both times were during GS flights. Second one smashed the camera so it's parked for a while.

Picking up on Happydays comment I studied some freeze frame views and the props look to be very beat up. When the Phantom starts to fall it goes over backwards and to the right. The right rear prop tips look short and rounded while the left rear prop seems to be in the best shape. When the props are mismatched the stability control has to compensate and work the beat up props harder. This uses up some of the stability margins. In this case the right rear is having to speed up to make up for it's condition and therefore less lift. In addition the maneuver that leads into the drop has the left front pitching up which would cause the right rear to slow down. In order to level as it rocks back from the maneuver the right rear has to speed up quickly and it may have not had enough lift capability to do it. As it starts to pitch down, back and right, it just puts more and more of a lift requirement on the right rear prop and it may have an aerodynamic stall or just run out of rpm capability. The motors never stop turning so I am not sure it should be called and midair shutdown. I certainly don't know my analysis explains it fully - but what I describe is real and going on at that time.
The bottom line is that flying with damaged props is not a good idea because it effects the control margins - and when you run out of margin it is dramatic on a vehicle that depends on every prop performing properly to stay in the air.

Correct, I used some of the less than perfect props for first flight test after an overhaul repair and for the mid-air shutdown test. The mid-air shutdown is true because after the shutdown, you do not get any powered sign from the LEDs (No LED lights) but the battery was still on. That's the proof that mid-air shutdown happened and you could not start the motors until you restart the battery which would power up the phantom. Trimmed prop on the tip will affect its performance so some extent, but not enough to cause the mid-are shutdown. Besides, the phantom did not carry a camera and therefore 100 grams lighter.

You may be right but...
I watched it at 25% speed. Just as the Phantom would require lift from the right rear prop (which looks shorter and to have rounded tips compared to the left rear prop) the right rear drops like a rock - Looking like the right rear lost lift, not all four.

Strictly my opinion irrespective of what caused your crash...
I personally wouldn't fly with damaged props. These quads are absolutely dependent on predictable performance from all four not just for lift but also to maintain stability and control. I can see what you were thinking in using them for initial testing, just in case, but then maybe just stick to hovering and very, very mild maneuvers. Your maneuvers don't look that aggressive but you can still create momentary peak loads.

I called DJI USA and told him what happened and he agreed to take it back for repair and sent me a RMA number. I sent the bird in for repair with damaged camera and battery

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers