My turn for crash and burn

Reaction score
Website
www.jeffreysipress.com
Fortunately, no burning actually took place, but my P4P simply decided to die and fall. I was 100' above a courtyard, so it might have bounced off a roof or landed directly on the sidewalk where I retrieved it. The thing is totaled, camera broke off, props all broken, one arm just destroyed and the battery was ejected and nearly broke open. I am not an expert at diagnosing flight logs, but I was able to see some data and a map overlay using PhantomHelp.com. Attached are the logs , if anyone here is kind enough to tell me want happened at the end of the flight. The PhantomHelp timeline log shows nothing out of the ordinary. The aircraft just instantly lost connections as I saw the final few seconds on my screen of it tumbling before the disconnect massage appeared.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-12-18_[06-25-43]log.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 220
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-12-18_[06-25-43]csv.zip
    286.6 KB · Views: 196
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-12-18_[06-25-43].txt
    1.4 MB · Views: 195
  • Sad
Reactions: Oso
The aircraft just instantly lost connections as I saw the final few seconds on my screen of it tumbling before the disconnect massage appeared.
Initial look appears to be a lost prop. Can you supply the device .dat to verify?

1576697378110.png

That sucks!! Hate to hear that.

If you want a FREE repair estimate give @D D S DJI Drone Service (Not DJI) a shot. They repaired one for me in HORRIBLE shape to like new. Flies like a brand new bird and looks it too. They offer FREE estimates and FREE shipping. You've got nothing to lose.

If you decide to get rid of the broken off camera let me know. There’s a small glass lens inside that I can’t seem to find anywhere. It’s between the front lens and the inside camera. Again sorry for your loss

That sucks!! Hate to hear that.

If you want a FREE repair estimate give @D D S DJI Drone Service (Not DJI) a shot. They repaired one for me in HORRIBLE shape to like new. Flies like a brand new bird and looks it too. They offer FREE estimates and FREE shipping. You've got nothing to lose.

use phantompilots for $35 off the repair

click here for your free fedex label

Yip that's a big suc right on xmas,feel your pain, was sad to read this
Parachute might be on my list now,
Keep well and safe

Reactions: dronesky
Thanks, everyone.

Flydog, I couldn't find the device .dat file anywhere. I looked at all the entire controller files...I think. Don't think it was a loose prop. I checked them before the flight and two were shattered off on impact, and two were still mounted.

Thanks for your moral support at a time like this WV. Appreciate it!

D D S, that sounds great, Here are some pics fora preview. Maybe it's not totaled?

Capt KO, I think you're in luck. When I had my first phantom repaired under warranty a year ago. I forgot to install the original beige screw on lens filter before sending it in.. Well, the glass fell out anyhow due to poor adhesive and I still have it. Is that what you need?

Pics of the damage:

damage7.jpg

damage5.jpg

damage4.jpg

damage3.jpg

damage8.jpg

I couldn't find the device .dat file anywhere. I looked at all the entire controller files...I think. Don't think it was a loose prop. I checked them before the flight and two were shattered off on impact, and two were still mounted.
See this link for instructions for the .dat... : Retrieve a V3 DAT From Mobile Device

Update on my investigation of why my drone crashed:

Looking closely at the battery, as seen in the picture above, the damage to it seems way too extreme for the craft to have dropped 100' to concrete and then ejected the battery upon impact. I think the battery went bad (or maybe just one cell of it, from the flight timeline of battery behavior) and was forced out at altitude, dropping to the ground separately from the craft. The impact point on the battery is on an area that would have been contained within the Phantom. The gel cell pack itself is distorted and mis-shapen, still contained in the enlarged and cracked plastic housing. I think the battery was going bad chemically and likely expanded and forced itself out, and that's the moment I abruptly lost all contact with the craft and all logs ended. Miraculously, the battery neither exploded, leaked, or caught fire. It is somewhat possible that the battery was not fully engaged even though I always check that after insertion. Perhaps it just fell out and all the damage to it's shape was from landing hard?

The last flight log entries show one cell of the battery dipping just below 3.5v. (shown in orange type). Could that be an indicator of the event I'm describing?
endoflog.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone.

Flydog, I couldn't find the device .dat file anywhere. I looked at all the entire controller files...I think. Don't think it was a loose prop. I checked them before the flight and two were shattered off on impact, and two were still mounted.

Thanks for your moral support at a time like this WV. Appreciate it!

D D S, that sounds great, Here are some pics fora preview. Maybe it's not totaled?

Capt KO, I think you're in luck. When I had my first phantom repaired under warranty a year ago. I forgot to install the original beige screw on lens filter before sending it in.. Well, the glass fell out anyhow due to poor adhesive and I still have it. Is that what you need?

Pics of the damage:

View attachment 116318

View attachment 116319

View attachment 116320

View attachment 116321

View attachment 116322
Oh :oops: ..still under warranty? Its probably torn the esc ribbon inside aswell,the esc on rubber mounts and hard impact takes it past its limit and cables rip...new shell,ribbon set,gimble and cam and it will live again..some reason a wrecked phantom tears at the heart(probably cause it cost so much) ,my new p4 has yet to gain my full trust .and never will,
Almost need a back up lipo in the shell so if batt pops or move the auxiliary will take over..hope you can get it sorted

Reactions: RBuzz
@JeffreyS
This still looks like a lost prop. I think the left rear. The battery cell drop was due to the high current increase and not related to the incident. As soon as you released the elevator, the aircraft started to pich up to stop, then immediately pitched down and rolled hard. From your photos it looks like the left rear suffered the most damage.

SIGNALS1.jpg

Two props were still attached, and two were destroyed upon impact, one being broke in half on the arm that took the major hit. I believe the other one broke and released as the craft tumbled ofter landing. Pics above. There was no full propellor found that might have separated from the craft. These are my observations at the scene, no conclusions drawn. The battery damage and the moment all signals ceased (at altitude) tell different story. Thanks again for your help, FlyDawg.

The battery damage and the moment all signals ceased (at altitude) tell different story.
These signals are approx 3 seconds prior to disconnect and are not battery related. Once the descent began the battery disconnected. Notice the motor speeds, Left Front attempting to compensate for the left rear. It could be the motor itself or the ESC or a cracked prop hub. But something definately caused the accentuated motor speeds and tilt angles and it wasn't the battery.

1576774262163.png

Wow, that hit for a ton! Fortunately it can be saved, I hope!

Reactions: dronesky

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic