my phantom 4 just flew away

No one in their right mind would take that as an offer. Look what is being sold on this board. The one with 4 batteries is about to get me in trouble if some one doesn't buy it. That's why I bump it up. On that if you sold the batteries for $75, and the controller for $135. equals $435 from $1000= $565. You have a battery and controller. I would buy 2 or 3 batteries from you. Maybe the controller.
I'd be happy to sell you the controller and two batteries (the new one from the replacement drone, and another new one still sealed in the box), but why pray tell does anyone want an extra controller?
RMM

Raymax. Sounds what happen to me. Hit RTH, it comes to rth point , hesitates a few seconds, and fly's off. I was videoing at the time, using my Kindle. So I reviewed the video, and we followed the path. It was dark out, and we saw the lights on it. I fly it in remote areas. Send the requested info to DJI, and they replaced the drone. Was it raining when it happened to you? I have a nice video on it about 5 feet over a transmission line that feeds Anchorage, and Fairbanks. It would have been lights out for the drone, and a few thousand others. It landed on the other side of them.
Any clue why it behaved as it did? Do you not freak out now whenever you use RTH?

DSC01764.JPG
DSC01764_zpseiztetqm.jpg
Dji never told me why it happen. I was showing a friend how dependable they where. I have been trying to learn as much as I can about the P4. Yes I am a little apprehensive when I push the RTH button. I was in WTF mode when it happened. Now I know to go to S mode, A. I learned from it. The reason I would buy the batteries and controller would be to help the seller out. I didn't mention what I would be offering. LOL
I have 3 controller now for two P4's, and will pick up another P4 when prices drop more. One is amped, and one is a GL300a., that I use for one P4. The Gl300a is easier to carry. The third is a Inspire controller I will use for the second P4. Now the question is why do I need four. I thought I could link two controllers to the same drone. No can do. As I tell people, I am smart, just not real smart. I prove that to my self every day. That is why I like it here. Some very, very smart people.

Last edited:
View attachment 68536
DSC01764_zpseiztetqm.jpg
Dji never told me why it happen. I was showing a friend how dependable they where. I have been trying to learn as much as I can about the P4. Yes I am a little apprehensive when I push the RTH button. I was in WTF mode when it happened. Now I know to go to S mode, A. I learned from it. The reason I would buy the batteries and controller would be to help the seller out. I didn't mention what I would be offering. LOL
I have 3 controller now for two P4's, and will pick up another P4 when prices drop more. One is amped, and one is a GL300a., that I use for one P4. The Gl300a is easier to carry. The third is a Inspire controller I will use for the second P4. Now the question is why do I need four. I thought I could link two controllers to the same drone. No can do. As I tell people, I am smart, just not real smart. I prove that to my self every day. That is why I like it here. Some very, very smart people.

I am sorry for your loss and I feel your pain. However if you would learn something from this - fly your drone like you were flying any other kind of aircraft, i.e. with full situation awareness. Know where your drone is and where it is heading. If the video feed goes out and you lose all the telemetry, you should still be able to fly home using the remote only. Switch to Atti mode and fly homeward until you can hear and see it and then simply land it.

/// Tom

Last edited:
Reading this and other fly-away stories makes me comprehensive in even attempting to fly the P4 when it arrives. I have never flown any drone before. Wondering if it was a smart decision to buy one. Common sense tells me that I should start with very small steps until confidence level is adequate for the more advanced (not even sure what that means) flights. I am so hyped about learning this new hobby, but the notion of spending ~$1K for a device that can "fly away" makes me somewhat nervous. Just sayin....

I am so hyped about learning this new hobby, but the notion of spending ~$1K for a device that can "fly away" makes me somewhat nervous.
Phantoms rarely just fly away on their own. The flight logs almost always reveal what happened. In most cases, these scenarios are caused by something the pilot did incorrectly.

Someone mentioned Litchi earlier on. If I have such an incident using Litchi will DJI cover me?

I have used DJI Go, Litchi and AutoPilot. They are all excellent applications but, you have to ensure you follow your checklist before takeoff and always be ready to throw the mode into Atti to take full control. Before my first flight which is well over 300 ago, I watched all the video tutorials and read much of the P4 forums and started in beginner mode. As you become more comfortable, you ultimately begin pushing the envelope :). Litchi is a great application which uses the DJI SDK in more creative ways than the Go app but also requires additional caution. It supports planning missions which are out of radio contact which is nice but, you have to ensure all you settings are right; otherwise, at the end of the mission, it might just hover or land outside of radio contact and your done! Last Sunday, I flew (using DJI Go) out a little over 4 miles ignoring the RTH warning at the 3.5 mile mark. The adrenaline was pumping because, I had a tail wind going out hitting 58 mph. At 7% battery, it landed about a mile from the home point but fortunately, with controller in hand, I was able to locate it in the middle of a corn field!

after saving my money for the last 5 mts I was able to buy a Phantom 4 Dji drone from best buy ,I was flying the drone on Sunday November 6 around 12 in the afternoon on a clear sunny day here in California for some reason the pic went out on my ipad and the drone went out of the flight pattern and just flew away I immediately pushed the return to home button on the receiver however the drone did not come back I tried for hours looking for the drone but could not find it !

I contacted Dji support to see if they could help and they said to look for the flight patterns in the ipad to see where the last location was and search in that area.

I went to my account on the DJI app (USING MY EMAIL ADDRESS [email protected] pass word ''xxxxxx'') and it did not show any flight patterns or any other data , I tried to explain this to the support team and they seem to give me the run around then told me there is nothing they could do for me !
any suggestions ??

I had P4 flyaway as well! Occurred after engaging RTH when my mobile failed. Drone returned overhead and just kept going. Disengaging RTH did not return manual control to me even though the drone was in plain sight overhead.

Also, no flight record. If your app or mobile fails midflight, you very well may have no record. That was my experience as well. DJI was willing to do absolutely NOTHING - not even give me a discount on a replacement! Given that I calibrated before flight, and that when I engaged RTH the drone did return - but then kept right on going over HP - I can see no explanation other than a design/programming/technical problem with the drone itself. DJI is happy to gather all the info it can from you for its own purposes, but will deny any responsibility under almost any circumstance. I hate to stereotype, but in my experience, most American companies would make more of an effort to work with you under these circumstances.

My inspire rc doesn't like my p4 drops out all the time. A 15$ buzzer goes a long way

Also, no flight record. If your app or mobile fails midflight, you very well may have no record.
I know I already asked you this above, but you did not answer me. How exactly did you try to find the flight log on your mobile device?

Reactions: Badgenes
I know I already asked you this above, but you did not answer me. How exactly did you try to find the flight log on your mobile device?

If his device crashed, or froze up, doesn't it stand to reason there is a slight chance the flight logs either are not there or are corrupted?

If it shut off for heat, I know it still runs in the background and just kills the screen so that wouldn't have done it.

But if the device shut off beyond a respring and went into DFU mode or just plain old off, it wouldn't keep flight records right?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reading this and other fly-away stories makes me comprehensive in even attempting to fly the P4 when it arrives. I have never flown any drone before. Wondering if it was a smart decision to buy one. Common sense tells me that I should start with very small steps until confidence level is adequate for the more advanced (not even sure what that means) flights. I am so hyped about learning this new hobby, but the notion of spending ~$1K for a device that can "fly away" makes me somewhat nervous. Just sayin....
No matter how much the developers putting the smart into the drone, human will outsmart it by his stupidity. The best defense for preventing fly away is preflight check and know how to fly manual. Knowing when and how to take over are the best options against flyaway.

Reactions: David Kraft
If his device crashed, or froze up, doesn't it stand to reason there is a slight chance the flight logs either are not there or are corrupted?
Anything is possible. I always side with human error first though. There is no indication that he connected to his mobile device and checked for the log in the file system.

No matter how much the developers putting the smart into the drone, human will outsmart it by his stupidity. The best defense for preventing fly away is preflight check and know how to fly manual. Knowing when and how to take over are the best options against flyaway.
Curious as to your rules for: "how and when to take over manually"? Can you elaborate?

At what point does @David Johnson's claim get debunked? I read all three pages, the countless requests for additional info, and crickets from David. I'll give anyone the benefit of doubt, but at some point we have to be realistic an consider this may be a competitor doing a hit piece.

At what point does @David Johnson's claim get debunked? I read all three pages, the countless requests for additional info, and crickets from David. I'll give anyone the benefit of doubt, but at some point we have to be realistic an consider this may be a competitor doing a hit piece.
Or you can take the reports as accurate representations of what the claimant experienced. If you and others have not personally experienced relatively low probability events (just like owners of a Galaxy S7), that does not mean that the claimants' reports are not accurate or at least shared in good faith.

Or you can take the reports as accurate representations of what the claimant experienced. If you and others have not personally experienced relatively low probability events (just like owners of a Galaxy S7), that does not mean that the claimants' reports are not accurate or at least shared in good faith.
True, but not an answer to why the op has gone missing.

@Raymax, is there a particular reason that you're avoiding my question? I see you have no problem talking about everything else here.

Reactions: GFields and t2adze

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.