my latest heart-attack!

Reaction score
I thought I was witnessing a "fly-away" that folks swear happens from time to time (tho I I believe most of them are caused by user-error).

At 20% battery it was time to land, I flew away from the current home point back to where my backpack was and landed. I don't usually do a cnc (or whatever the wee maneuver with the two sticks is called) to shut off the motors, I just hold down the throttle till it stops. However, to my amazement before it shut off, just in that 3 secs where the motor is powering down, the fecking thing took off again on its own! I couldn't control it, no input from the sticks worked. It flew higher and slightly away from me and I thought it was just gonna head off into the sunset. I even tried grabbing the landing gear to prevent it from going off but missed (thankfully). I was stunned. What the hell was happening!?

Then I looked down at the screen and it said "coming home". I had hit the 15% threshold where it goes home and lands just at the moment the rotors were powering down! Because I was away from the home point it tried to make it back there and took off. I just regained control, landed and turned it off quick as I could. I was a bit relieved I must say, that outcome is far better than a "flyaway" anytime!

Phew.

I think you can switsing S1 for taking the controle back at that moment :cool:
( if you have the time ) ;)

I can see how your situation was odd because of the timing of your landing occurred just as it hit the 15% triggering the Return to Home.
If you fly in NAZA-M mode, you can quickly override the RTH by flipping to ATTI mode ( and then optionally back to GPS mode).

How do you use S1 in this kind of situation, is there somewhere in the manual were walks you through how to disable go home correctly and get out of the heart attack? On my first flight I put it into go home mode by turning off the remote. I then turned it back on as it was close to landing to see if I could take over again but I never figured out what I had to do but I know it's S1 related

I must be one of the few "chickens" who starts thinking about bringing it home once it drops to 40%...
and at 20% I want the thing right in front of me.
I have 2 batteries so I'm not worried about flight time as much but usually get all my shots for an area within the 20 or so minutes I get in the air per battery.
I've seen too many batteries/devices lose power like it was a stopwatch (Parrot Spider for example).

Had similar experiences before.
Once the RC battery was almost depleted as i got the warning beep.
I landed the bird some 100m away ( i could land safely ) to change the RC battery.
I shut down the motors with the 2 sticks.
I could change battery's quick and to my surprice it toke off by itself in RTH mode when the RC was of.
Switching to ATTI i got control in a flash but it kept me wondering.
So i did a test today, landed a distance away, turned of motors and set to RC to off.
Nothing happend, have to redo the test.

Yesterday when i brought back the bird with a faulty battery it was in autoland for a long time.
When it was almost near me and i could hand catch it drifted away, no control imput worked.
Leds were red all over the place due to low battery.
I switched to ATTI and got back control and hand catched it after all.
I didn't have the RTH screen though but i suspect that @ some point the RC connection was lost and it went out of GPS mode.
Anyway the switching to ATTI saved the bird.

Zinnware said:
I can see how your situation was odd because of the timing of your landing occurred just as it hit the 15% triggering the Return to Home.
If you fly in NAZA-M mode, you can quickly override the RTH by flipping to ATTI mode ( and then optionally back to GPS mode).

I had actually just changed to NAZA that morning and was out doing some testing to see how course and home lock work. They're great, I only wish the nose of the chopper would continue to point at the centre when arcing left or right. NAZA is great! Letting it drift in the wind while rotating will come in handy I think.

Toggling to atti and back was how I got control again once I realised what was happening. It's just strange that it didn't realise it was already on the ground when it RTH.

Another lesson learned, and still no crashes!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart