My H3-3D has turned into a JERK!

iversens said:
I'm not using any lens filter and still had the problem. After running the advanced calibration again my H3-3D is dead. The LED is still lit when powered, but it no longer moves and is not listed as a device under the Phantom 2 Assistant.

Tried exchanging with Helicopter World (Century Heli) and got terrible customer service. They refused to exchange or return and told me to contact DJI. Don't make the mistake that I did. Better to go with a proven dealer like B&H.
Even through B&H is good, if you are outside their 30 day return policy they will tell you to go through DJI as well. I have experienced this twice with them. Once on a battery i had for 3 months (one that came with the P2) and the other on my recent issue with my P2 motors shutting off in air causing the P2 to fall to the ground. Each time they said to go to DJI since i am outside their 30 day return policy. With the P2 they offered a warrany repair return that they were going to send to DJI, so I just skipped the middle man and went strait to DJI since they are only an hour up the freeway from me.

Hmm.
I've got a similar problem that occurs with 2 conditions having to be present.
However, those conditions are part of normal flight and photography.
I've tried all of the fixes in this thread to no avail.

1. When the gimbal (h3-3d) control is set for horizontal horizon (90 degrees or even slightly less)
2. Spinning the chopper left or right even the slightest bit

When these two things are present - the gimbal will snap left - then wiggle violently 7 times - repeat ad infinitum until I drop the horizon to about 50-60 degrees.
Once I get that set - it will do ok - but still does the snap-wiggle dance on occasion when I spin the chopper left more than just a few degrees.

A caveat. At one point I had a pretty hard landing and after that the gimbal would not even go to 90 degrees until I went into the phantom2 controller and reset the horizontal tilt. It could then go to 90 degrees but not until I did that did this snap-wiggle problem manifest.

If I start the phantom on a flat surface with no props - the h3 will set up fine until I touch either of the controllers on the RC. Once that happens - the same problem. So it's not a "flight issue." When I drop the camera back down to 50-60 degrees, I can then manipulate the controllers without the bizarro snapping.

So, there's a possible clue.
I'm wondering about the possibility that there is a software issue somewhere within the settings that would cause this. Seems like if it were strictly mechanical - it would suck constantly instead of just turning the chopper with a level or near-level horizon.

EDITED TO ADD: I have the gimbal with the back connector - not the usb cable one. I read somewhere that they discontinued my current set up. Would that have anything to do with it?

Any thoughts?

(Man, the learning curve on these things is brutal. I guess we won't have to worry about a slew of competition corrupting the atmosphere because they'll just be smashed and scattered across the landscape as people realize they didn't want to work this hard to keep flying and shooting.)

have you checked the balance like I showed in my videos I linked on the previous page? that's exactly what my original problem was, when I tried to point the gimbal horizontal it would make noise and do that reset procedure. balancing the gimbal/gopro better eliminated it

shartlza said:
iversens said:
I'm not using any lens filter and still had the problem. After running the advanced calibration again my H3-3D is dead. The LED is still lit when powered, but it no longer moves and is not listed as a device under the Phantom 2 Assistant.

Tried exchanging with Helicopter World (Century Heli) and got terrible customer service. They refused to exchange or return and told me to contact DJI. Don't make the mistake that I did. Better to go with a proven dealer like B&H.
Even through B&H is good, if you are outside their 30 day return policy they will tell you to go through DJI as well. I have experienced this twice with them. Once on a battery i had for 3 months (one that came with the P2) and the other on my recent issue with my P2 motors shutting off in air causing the P2 to fall to the ground. Each time they said to go to DJI since i am outside their 30 day return policy. With the P2 they offered a warrany repair return that they were going to send to DJI, so I just skipped the middle man and went strait to DJI since they are only an hour up the freeway from me.

I did the same. Called DJI last week and expected the worst based on past posts. Spoke with Liana at DJI and she was great. They're escalating my RMA since I only had it for a week. Should arrive at DJI today. Hopefully, they'll turn it around quickly.

QYV said:

have you checked the balance like I showed in my videos I linked on the previous page? that's exactly what my original problem was, when I tried to point the gimbal horizontal it would make noise and do that reset procedure. balancing the gimbal/gopro better eliminated it

Thanks for the response.
Yes, I did check the balance. When I set it - it stays. Doesn't appear to be the balance.

gotcha. good luck I wish it were as simple as my fix

This is it - theoretically worth over two million words - brilliantly narrated in all of my savvy technical jargon.
I went ahead and ordered a new gimbal for next day delivery - but this gimbal may yet be able to be salvaged and used somewhere later on.
Thanks folks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIUTB70qrI

Hopefully its just a jacked up gimbal. Let us know the outcome once replacement is placed on quad.

Well, the new gimbal arrived today and that was the problem. No more jerking about… so far.
Now, in the traditional "one solution leads to another issue" section, I have a couple of questions.

1. Instead of the direct connector into the back, this new gimbal uses the usb port on my camera - which I was using for my FPV tx feed. My main-board video connection is kaput and I didn't want to replace it. I can just keep the gimbal usb unplugged, right? Seems to work fine but just checking in case something was about to explode and I needed to take cover. (Edited to add: After a test flight, everything went fine so this is a non-issue but I thought I'd leave it up in case others as clueless as I happened upon this thread in the weeks to come.)

2. I have a gimbal that probably can be repaired for a fraction of the cost of the new one. Is it DJI only for those types of repairs?

I received my gimbal back from DJI and it no longer has the yaw reset issue. The repair slip mentioned the IMU was not functioning correctly.

I flew at full speed while making turns and it didn't reset once.

I still might try to balance it a little better since I'd like to add an ND filter.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl