My first FPV flight with the Phantom 3

Reaction score
I took the "training wheels" off yesterday, got out of beginner mode.

As advertised, the controls are much more responsive than they were in beginner mode. I found myself over controlling everything with too heavy a touch on the sticks. Took the rest of that battery to tone things down, control myself and stop jerking the P3S around.

So I decided to take a short flight on the next battery to a point only about 200-ish meters away looking only at the iPad Mini's screen. My wife was with me, watching the P3S, to ensure that I didn't go way off the course I intended to fly. At the furthest point in the flight she said the P3S was quite difficult to see. The most interesting aspect of the flight, being a first timer relying on FPV, was the delay involved. "Move the stick... then hear the P3S make a movement... then see movement on the iPad's screen". {{maybe 2 seconds between the quotes}} I guess it will take some getting used to. I'm assuming that the "delay" thing is not due to something I've done wrong and that I just need to develop a feel for it.

If you're an experienced FPV Phantom pilot I'd appreciate your feedback.

The iPad Mini I'm using was new in 2011, so processor-wise its probably way slower than today's iPad Mini's. Would an upgrade here eliminate some of this delay?

Last edited:
The AC should act instantly on your stick movement.

The FPV video could be lagged for a second or two - especially if you're off at a distance.

I took the "training wheels" off yesterday, got out of beginner mode.

As advertised, the controls are much more responsive than they were in beginner mode. I found myself over controlling everything with too heavy a touch on the sticks. Took the rest of that battery to tone things down, control myself and stop jerking the P3S around.

So I decided to take a short flight on the next battery to a point only about 200-ish meters away looking only at the iPad Mini's screen. My wife was with me, watching the P3S, to ensure that I didn't go way off the course I intended to fly. At the furthest point in the flight she said the P3S was quite difficult to see. The most interesting aspect of the flight, being a first timer relying on FPV, was the delay involved. "Move the stick... then hear the P3S make a movement... then see movement on the iPad's screen". {{maybe 2 seconds between the quotes}} I guess it will take some getting used to. I'm assuming that the "delay" thing is not due to something I've done wrong and that I just need to develop a feel for it.

If you're an experienced FPV Phantom pilot I'd appreciate your feedback.

The iPad Mini I'm using was new in 2011, so processor-wise its probably way slower than today's iPad Mini's. Would an upgrade here eliminate some of this delay?

Do you have video cache on?
Something to check.

Lag free mobile device.....
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Ipad Mini, I don't know how fast it is.

Rod

2 secs is definitely too much lag...don't fly near ANYTHING of ANYONE until you sort out that issue. I have NEVER had any noticeable lag on any flight. Keep it in beginner mode and get it solved before you have an expensive accident.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.