My drone just fell out of the sky

Hate to see this happen regardless. But in less then 24hrs you might be able put thoughts into securing a P4.

Btw, I snug tighten all my props with using the tool. I never have trusted to just snug it up by hand.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the threads on the OEM props are softer than threads on motor . . .
All motor shafts are metal. The P2 props have metal threads. If you want to tighten metal to metal you need the wrench. The P3 threads are the same plastic as the hub and blades. Since the plastic "gives" you should snug them up by hand. Spin them on until the motor starts to turn. Then grab the motor and tighten the prop about a tenth of a turn. Any more and you will easily strip the plastic threads.

It's my understanding that a P3 does not have self tightening props. That's a phrase left over from the P2 era.

From my P3A manual (Page 7):
Place all propellers onto the correct motors and tighten by hand to lock them in position.

I grasp the motors when I do it.

S

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Yes, when you arm the motors you hear them momentarily speed up, in the unlikely event that you didn't hand tighten those props firm enough. They should be now. If they were to thread on the opposite way, we would all be losing props. Like everyday... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Yes, when you arm the motors you hear them momentarily speed up, in the unlikely event that you didn't hand tighten those props firm enough. They should be now. If they were to thread on the opposite way, we would all be losing props. Like everyday... ;-)

RedHotPoker
What if you were to lay on your back with the drone upside down and screwed them on?

Lol!
Sorry, Let me get my hat and I'll show myself to the door..............

Spin them on until they stop then hold the motor between your thumb and forefinger and turn them some more. That's it. I would not recommend tightening with the prop wrench. Nowhere in the manual does it say to tighten the props with a wrench. In fact, I think I have seen folks from DJI on this board expressly say do not use the wrench to tighten the props.

It's possible that your prop's threads stripped...especially if over-tightened. Were you able to retrieve the prop that came off? If yes, check the threads.
I've never heard of anyone stripping the prop threads of a DJI P3 prop. Has anyone actually done that?

Last edited:
Spin them on until they stop then hold the motor between your thumb and forefinger and turn them some more. That's it. I would not recommend tightening with the prop wrench. Nowhere in the manual does it say to tighten the props with a wrench. In fact, I think I have seen folks from DJI on this board expressly say do not use the wrench to tighten the props.
I'm in the camp that always uses the wrench, with finesse. I find it easier and more accurate to judge the torque applied, especially in cold weather with gloves on.

Is this kind of posting on multiple crash thread's really necessary, or appropriate?
It may not be necessary, but I hardly think it's inappropriate. Many people find this information very useful and like to know about programs such as ours being available. I don't comment in every thread. In fact, I don't even comment on multiple threads very often. But, as I opened PhantomPilots this morning, there were 3 threads in a row about minor crashes that would have been covered had they had our Service Contract. I think it's a disservice not to inform people that there is a way to cover their drones for less than the cost of the average repair. Thank you for your input.

Wow, that crash damage looks very similar to mine a month ago. Cost $306 to fix. My repair guy replaced the body shell, landing gear, gimbal mount bracket, gimbal cable, battery tray (you'll find it's broke inside the body), 4 motors and 4 props. Fortunately my camera and gimbal we unscathed, due to the camera guard and gimbal protector installed.

Log says it was fine perfectly fine when I made it to turn to come back it was on his way back and then you see it's start going out-of-control crashed on the ground
2a4a3de8b60cd73df88ce6bd27eff5e5.jpg
8fa47abc75d85689933e37d1f61c4ed0.jpg
c63474396c08cf4507ad522c6d5e5012.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Neary Aerial
What if you were to lay on your back with the drone upside down and screwed them on?

Lol!
Sorry, Let me get my hat and I'll show myself to the door..............
If you were in that position, the props would still only screw on in the correct way. You can't accidently thread them the opposite direction, or the threads would be running against the direction they were meant to go. Besides the motor shafts are black or shiny, and unless you are color blind, or seriously visually impaired, it would be difficult to make that mistake. And if you can't see, then you quite probably shouldn't be flying anything, anyway. ;-)
I would rather walk you to the door, shake hands, and double lock it, once you leave. Hahaha
See ya.

RedHotPoker

It may not be necessary, but I hardly think it's inappropriate ...

Yes, it is in my books. You see the gray bars at the top and to the right on each page ... this is where you do advertisement and infomercials. If you hijack a post with your mildly related self-serving commercial ad ... it's a form of spam.

Yes, it is in my books. You see the gray bars at the top and to the right on each page ... this is where you do advertisement and infomercials. If you hijack a post with your mildly related self-serving commercial ad ... it's a form of spam.
I do see that area. Please watch that area very closely for my ads. Thanks! :)

Reactions: Hank Terrebrood
I've never heard of anyone stripping the prop threads of a DJI P3 prop. Has anyone actually done that?

Not sure. But when someone says, "my prop(s) came off while flying", what else would cause a threaded prop to come off, especially since the motors spin in the opposite direction of the threads?

If the threads are indeed plastic, and heat generated from the motor causes the plastic to soften, and with enough resistance from the props cutting through air and torque from the spinning motors....wouldn't that cause threads to strip?

If someone has a bad prop, or one that they're willing to trash, they could tighten it and see how much it would take until it strips or breaks. Keep in mind, I'm also factoring heat from the motors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl