My drone just fell out of the sky

Do you think that it is better to leave the props on if your case allows? I do, because I think it causes less wear and tear. I do, however, check for tightness each time before flight.

Wow, that crash damage looks very similar to mine a month ago. Cost $306 to fix. My repair guy replaced the body shell, landing gear, gimbal mount bracket, gimbal cable, battery tray (you'll find it's broke inside the body), 4 motors and 4 props. Fortunately my camera and gimbal we unscathed, due to the camera guard and gimbal protector installed.

What repair guy is that? I also had a crash due to propeller flying off, and got damage to both gimbal and evidently some internals on the main board, ref. Crash, camera detached, gimbal crushed - innards getting hot..

I had the exact same thing happening to me, and I believe I wrongly threaded one of the propellers - that is, that I entered it with an angle, and felt that it was tight and nice - I regret not doing a visual inspection from the side, which - if this is what happened - would have revealed it right away. The drone managed to climb 26 meters before it came flying off, crashing it hard.

The threads on both the motor and the propeller are still there, but on the propeller it seems like there is a single round of threads that are ripped off, thus my theory.

Do you think that it is better to leave the props on if your case allows? I do, because I think it causes less wear and tear. I do, however, check for tightness each time before flight.
Yes, leave them on. It doesn't hurt them. I never check mine after I properly tighten them. There is no way they can come loose unless someone loosens them with the wrench, because I torque mine down snug with a wrench, one time, no more, but that's me. Others prefer holding the motor by hand and tightening props.

Last edited:
The business model for this guys company is, in my opinion, unsustainable. As soon as he gets swamped with bogus crash claims he will go under and everyone who bought into his bs will be SOL.
Well, over the past 11 months, each month has been better than the last. So, thanks for your opinion, it's just not based on facts.

Ahhhhh this is why I love DJI Care, first party warranty insurance where DJI techs will repair the unit with OEM parts and I don't have to worry about a company like neary going out of business. Sorry but I'd never trust a 1 man insurance company.

Ahhhhh this is why I love DJI Care, first party warranty insurance where DJI techs will repair the unit with OEM parts and I don't have to worry about a company like neary going out of business. Sorry but I'd never trust a 1 man insurance company.
We blow DJI Care out of the water in every single way. Customer service, speed of repair, price. DJI Care is a reaction to my company. Have fun overpaying and waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0DRK3RT
I'm having a hard time understanding how it would be possible for a prop to come off during flight unless the pilot simply did not tighten them.
A prop spinning at flight speed has a lot of inertia. If the motor stops suddenly, it will unscrew and fly off even if it was on pretty tight. This can be caused by a glitch in the ESC, a bad solder joint or motor wire coming loose. I was able to consistently reproduce it by disconnecting a motor wire.

We blow DJI Care out of the water in every single way. Customer service, speed of repair, price. DJI Care is a reaction to my company. Have fun overpaying and waiting.

DJI care has a 2 week turnaround time in North America, that's good enough for me, no deductible and shipping paid by DJI both ways. Do you use OEM parts for everything you replace? Sorry but repair from you voids the factory DJI warranty, I rather have the factory warranty and if it's not covered then it's taken out of my 1000$usd coverage. The only benefit I see from your insurance is you claim you will cover it for 2 years vs the new 1 year DJI care warranty insurance. Sorry but if you offered your plan for 150$ USD I still would choose DJI care for piece of mind. I have been burnt by small independent insurance, I will never take that risk again, I'd either buy from a known big insurance company/manufactures warranty but not from a small provider.

Oh and I think you over estimate how much DJI cares about your company. I'd bet anything that the brass/management in China have no idea what neary is. You are not the first or the last insurance company for drones and most tend to get out of the drone insurance business for a reason. My uncle's company provides insurance for many of the taxi cabs in Toronto, insurance is a hard business so good luck as claims tend to come in waves.

I think DJI Care is more to do with combating their bad warranty support record which has greatly gotten better over the past year, but the public doesn't see it this way so they are trying this. DJI care is a limited time offer pilot program, they don't even know if it's going to be offered next month.

Last edited:
DJI care has a 2 week turnaround time in North America, that's good enough for me no deductible and shipping paid by DJI both ways. Do you use OEM parts for everything you replace? Sorry but repair from you voids the factory DJI warranty, I rather have the factory warranty and if it's not covered then it's taken out of my 1000$usd coverage. The only benefit I see from your insurance is you claim you will cover it for 2 years vs the new 1 year DJI care warranty insurance. Sorry but if you offered your plan for 150$ USD I still would choose DJI care for piece of mind. I have been burnt by small independent insurance, I will never take that risk again, id ether I buy from a known big insurance company/manufactures warranty but not from a small provider.
lol...they will never be better than us at this game. We have had repairs that have turned around in 4 days. Just ask Hani.
And, yes, we use OEM parts. Sometimes they are refurbished. But, I'll bet DJI will use refurbished parts too. They just won't tell you they do it like we do.
All that being said, you shouldn't be going around trying to make my business look bad. If you want DJI Care, go for it. But, don't go around talking bad about my company.
If you take a look around, the only people saying anything negative about my company are NOT even customers of ours. ALL of our customers are 100% satisfied and even trhilled to have our coverage. We have saved a lot of people, a lot of money!!

lol...they will never be better than us at this game. We have had repairs that have turned around in 4 days. Just ask Hani.
And, yes, we use OEM parts. Sometimes they are refurbished. But, I'll bet DJI will use refurbished parts too. They just won't tell you they do it like we do.
All that being said, you shouldn't be going around trying to make my business look bad. If you want DJI Care, go for it. But, don't go around talking bad about my company.
If you take a look around, the only people saying anything negative about my company are NOT even customers of ours. ALL of our customers are 100% satisfied and even trhilled to have our coverage. We have saved a lot of people, a lot of money!!
I'm truly sorry but making your company look bad was not my intention, I'm voicing the reasons I didn't go with your company and why I think DJI care is not a bad choice, everything is my opinion and in no way trying to make you look bad. I looked at your company and even considered expensive commercial insurance that would pay damage to my craft and liability but decided to go with DJI care as it's the safest bet for ME.

I personal wouldn't be comfortable with an operation with less than 10 full time employees, as I've said I have been burnt in the past, I'm confident there's nothing to worry about with your company I'm just being overly cautious choosing who will insure my Phantom.

Your service is probably great and I'm sure your customers are extremely satisfied after a claim and I'm happy for you and your customers, but form my experience I have learned to be very wary and to spend the extra money to be safe, but most people will choose yours because yes you offer a better service for the price.

I'm sorry once again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neary Aerial
I'm not 100% sure but I think the threads on the OEM props are softer than threads on motor so you may not find anything wrong with the threads on your motors. Best to find that prop for a more definite answer.
But will check the threads on the actual motors

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
It looks like the bottom of the prop is gone also . Just wondering if the threaded part from inside the prop is still on your motor if so then it just separated but if there's no sign of that and it's completely gone seems very unusual

Fatcat1 on your post#19 you mention that you send your drone back to everon? So that means that they already had it once in their shop. how do you know that they didn't do anything intentionally to it? And that's why it fell from the sky.
Yes I might be accusing everon of something. The reason why I say this is because they tried a pretty stupid stunt on me, and they got caught. Don't trust everon drones with your bird.

I had the exact same thing happening to me, and I believe I wrongly threaded one of the propellers - that is, that I entered it with an angle, and felt that it was tight and nice - I regret not doing a visual inspection from the side, which - if this is what happened - would have revealed it right away. The drone managed to climb 26 meters before it came flying off, crashing it hard.

The threads on both the motor and the propeller are still there, but on the propeller it seems like there is a single round of threads that are ripped off, thus my theory.
I had the same thing happen. I spun them all on and tightened them, but I remember the #1 prop didn't seem like it went on quite like the others. I tightened anyway and took off. Had it (P3S) out to 4,400 by 100 ft.when the prop came off. I can see when replaying the video that the quad was trying to compensate for an improperly installed prop the farther out it got until poof, it was gone, and the quad tumbled into a soybean field. Fortunately, it only had body and prop damage and will require a new shell. Can't believe the camera and gimbal remained intact and functioning. Anyway, I'm confident that it was a preflight check error and nothing more, and am happy that the lesson won't be an overly expensive one. Quads are pretty good about letting you know when you've done something stupid.

Reactions: yorlik
Not sure that's even physically possible with this design. I'll just be happy when pilots like me learn how to properly install the props.

Not sure that's even physically possible with this design. I'll just be happy when pilots like me learn how to properly install the props.

Wayne, google it. Not only is it 'possible' it has been proven, done, shown. 4 prop drones CAN survive and be controlled with only 3 props. Like you, there are a lot of folks who cannot figure out how to do it so say it is not possible. Be glad there are smart software dudes out there. Lots of folks said we couldn't go the moon either...

Don't believe that you should use your wrench to tighten your 'hand spun' props either if you wish. I proved a long time ago and posted the proof that hand tightening will allow props to fly off and wrench tightened will not.

Not sure. But when someone says, "my prop(s) came off while flying", what else would cause a threaded prop to come off, especially since the motors spin in the opposite direction of the threads?
Active braking can cause it. That is the reason DJI went from metal hubs/threads to plastic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20