Motors won't start (Battery too cold warning?)

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just went out to film a bit in cold weather but I wasn't able to get my motors going and saw a warning saying that my batteries are too cold.

Camera connected and everything was set to go, Compass was calibrated. Restarted a few times. latest firmware. (Flown multiple times since the latest firmware.)

I brought my batteries inside for about 30 min and started over. Everything started up just fine.

I have never had this problem before. Any suggestions?

Jared

Last edited:
It wasn't too cold 41 degrees F, but the battery was in my truck overnight (go easy on me, it was an accident)

41 (5deg C) is too cold, assuming the pack is at or below that temp. You can fly no worries in those temps but you should get your packs up to it above 15Deg C if possible.

Restarting the AC hoping it will let you fly is asking for trouble.

Keep your packs warm and hover for a minute or so before venturing off. Keep an eye on your cell voltages, 3.2V/cell as an absolute minimum is a good benchmark. Once your flying the natural heat generated during discharge should keep things good during the flight.

Reactions: Rance Pederson
I really am a bit confused of the purpose of your thread. If the app states the battery is too cold and then, when you warm it up it then works, what would exactly would you like us to suggest; how to warm them? How to keep them warm?

I really am a bit confused of the purpose of your thread. If the app states the battery is too cold and then, when you warm it up it then works, what would exactly would you like us to suggest; how to warm them? How to keep them warm?

Well that`s a new error I have seen, so the information has helped one person,
has anyone else had any issues when flying in this colder weather( around 3 C) as I was going to pop up for a fly in the early mornings to get some scenery shots,
But after seeing this I dont want my bird dropping out the sky as it feels too cold,
The battery warmer is fine for pre-warming, but once in the air do they generate enough heat to maintain their desired temp ?

Well that`s a new error I have seen, so the information has helped one person,
has anyone else had any issues when flying in this colder weather( around 3 C) as I was going to pop up for a fly in the early mornings to get some scenery shots,
But after seeing this I dont want my bird dropping out the sky as it feels too cold,
The battery warmer is fine for pre-warming, but once in the air do they generate enough heat to maintain their desired temp ?
I've seen the warning on one battery during the first winter I had the 3A. Yes, the battery will increase in temp as you t/o. In fact it'll get to similar temps as flying any other time of the year. I've flown in -7c without problems and others in much lower temps than this.

Reactions: Technical Bob
For real cold weather I have the Turnigy LiPo warming bag ... it runs of car ciggy socket or any 12v source ... NiMh, LiPo etc.

Turnigy Programmable Lipo Battery Warmer Bag (12v DC)

33990.jpg

For a grand extortionate price of : $15 + shipping ....

Saves using your precious DJI battery !

I fly in temps down to as low as I can personally suffer !! Often -10C or even lower.
I don't find need to hover for minute or so before flight ... my batterys are warm from the bag .. I make sure I do not waste time getting airborne ... (but IMU warm-up usually holds me for a bit. It is possibly worth doing an IMU calibration out in the cold to try and reduce that).
Packs are 'self warming' in flight as "With the Birds" and "Numone" say .... OK they do not usually get as warm as on a summer day - but they do fly OK.

You may experience a slightly shorter flight capability ... for me - I generally expect 18mins in summer with variable flight, but drop that expectation to 13 - 15mins in cold winter. Basically I don't fancy the hike in the cold to find the P3 !! ;)

Nigel

Pastor,
Lots of good recommendations above for cold weather flying. I follow those guidelines with battery core temps between 65 - 70F and have flown well over a dozen flights in temps around +15F without any reported issues. My flight data shows core temps usually range between 80 - 100F during flights but, that's only been my experience. Many others on this forum have successfully flown in colder temps than +15F.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl