motors won't arm and no leds after i replaced the shell.

Reaction score
my phantom 4 was working perfectly fine but i decided to change the shell , that was a mistake. After i changed the shell and put it back together i tried to arm the motors but nothing happened , the less are also not working . the camera is working but nothing else. in the app it said almost everything was normal and no errors.no battery level readings. can someone please help?

Maybe an issue with power to the ESCs? Those also drive the LEDs which might explain why you have lost the lights. If the ESCs are completely disconnected I don't think it will flag a problem in the DJI Go app. Check that they are still soldered onto the power distribution board, and check the FPC connector for each is connected properly to the flight control board.

Yes it's what the battery connects to. It also connects to the 2 compasses and the gps. It provides battery voltage to both ESCs via soldered wires.

I checked all the ribbons , every thing still looks soldered .... it seems like I'm not getting any power to anything other than the camera .... I must be getting some power because the motors are beeping. . I tried imu calibration but nothing happened , it just stood at 0% . The battery level is not showing up . Also I cannot calibrate the compass . .... I don't know what I could have damaged while taking apart . Any other ideas ? Any suggestions will help ?

Sounds like you are having a problem with data communication. I think the only functioning parts that are needed to calibrate the compass are the 2 compasses connected to the power distribution board, the "FLT_CTRL" cable connecting this to the flight control board on top, and the 3-in-1 board for communication to the remote. So, it might be one of those. In particular check the fpc cable connecting the flight control board to the 3-in-1 board because its quite thin and fragile. I'd suggest to re-seat all the fpc cables just in case. You could also check to see if there is a FLYxx.DAT file being recorded to the inbuilt SD card, and extract it with the usb cord or DJI assistant, and then decrypt it (e.g. datfile.net) and check for errors in the log...

Well I couldn't figure it out , I ended up taking it In to a place that specializes in dji . .... the guy called me and couldn't figure it out so he had to replace the power distribution board and the esc s . That was not the problem , so now he said he has to replace the motors. I feel like he doesn't know what the problem is , he is just replacing stuff . I wonder how high this bill is gonna be ? I'll keep you posted ....

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I'm curious- why did you decide to replace the shell? I would be checking the board headers and ribbon cables for damage before replacing boards. You would need to be a serious butcher to have damaged the motors. I would cash out on time spent by the current repairer and not authorise the replacements he is proposing.

sounds more expensive than a new bird with labor costs involved ..ouch !!! I feel your pain, wish you the best of luck

@ with the birds , I replaced the shell because mine was looking old and banged up . Looking back it was a stupid idea . He should have replaced the ribbons instead of everything else . .... he's gonna replace the motors but I know that is not the problem . The problem will end up being the ribbon or something completely different.

Well I was correct , he replaced the motors and that wasn't the problem , he wants to replace the flight controller next .

It's not going to be the motors... The field wires coming out of the motors are part of the coil windings and are nearly impossible to damage unless you're trying. You're going to get magic smoke from an ESC before you burn a motor out in one go.

I'd double and triple check the ribbon wires connecting the boards of the aircraft. The one linking the flight controller , the right ESC and the power board is particularly troublesome, as it goes around a sharp corner + it can easily be hit when re-assembling the shell. There is supposed to be a piece of foam behind the pictured cable, protecting it from the sharp edge, but it often falls off in disassembly and is easy to lose...

Also pictured, a tiny break in that cable that disabled one compass and grounded my bird :(

Also check the grey wires connecting the compass modules to the power board. The landing gear end in particular can be annoying to line up, and the cables can easily be pulled away from the module if the shell is assembled roughly.

Remove the ribbon cables from their connectors and check for corrosion or other contamination. One must never touch the gold contact surface with their fingers, use tweezers instead. Dirt and oil from fingers can cause a layer of corrosion to form later that may interfere with normal flight, or disable a bird completely.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31