More channels hack

Correct... but none of those channels, or frequencies, have anything to do with the transmitter communicating with the P3 for control. They are only related to the P3 communicating with the transmitter for video.
Your post said it had nothing to do with transmit frequency. Perhaps just not clear on transmit of what. I've not see any confirmation of that but would tend to agree. Mainly as these channels are listed on a settings page dedicated to video. I also don't think DJI would want people messing with transmitter channels.

Hey, I'm still learning from this thread! Thanks.

Reactions: III% Streve
The hack resides solely at the controller. There are two transmitters involved in a complete rig.. one at the controller to run the P3, and one at the P3 to send back video and telemetry. Since we know that the hack opens up the video freq envelope then we know its manipulating the controllers handshake process with the P3 when its bound at power-up. Spread spectrum transmitters that we do know a lot about... Futaba and JR/Spectrum... are know to build a frequency hopping list and timing systems when they link. This ties the transmitter to the receiver 100%, leading to no possibility of control interference. Im guess a bit, but Im betting that DJI added to that handshake process the needed frequencies and bandwidth request based on what we set up in the Go App. That handshake, in the other brands transmitters, happens repetitively throughout operation. If DJI is also doing this, then this is what would allow us to change our video channel and bandwidth on the fly.

Long story short.. frequency hopping transmitters could have there base set of freqs modified, but it would likely have no bearing at all on range, as the potentially weak freq would be passed by hundreds of times a minute, or even second.

Your post said it had nothing to do with transmit frequency. Perhaps just not clear on transmit of what. I've not see any confirmation of that but would tend to agree. Mainly as these channels are listed on a settings page dedicated to video. I also don't think DJI would want people messing with transmitter channels.

Hey, I'm still learning from this thread! Thanks.

Absolutely confirmed the hack only effects video down-link frequency. Both myself and others have confirmed with spectrum analyzers.

There are a couple of threads around, including mine, should you wish to learn more: Phantom 3 Channel <-> Frequency Table | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: III% Streve
So you're using iTunes with an Air 2. From what I recall, you are in the Midwest US, so you should have no issues with being in a restricted country.

Did you do this:

1. Download the zipped .rar file from the link in post #1
2. Unzip the downloaded .rar file (don't skip this step!)
3. Set the target extract (unzip) location to show hidden files if it's not already.
4. Make sure you can see the single, now unzipped file named .DJI.configs (with the leading ".")
5. Open iTunes, use latest version
6. Connect your iPad (unlock the screen)
7. Close GO app if it's running
8. Once you can see your iPad in iTunes, click on it.
9. Then click on Apps
10. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom in the File Sharing section
11. Select DJI GO
12. Click on Add File...
13. Browse to the location of the unhidden single and unzipped file from earlier, .DJI.configs (with the leading ".")
14. Click on the file and select it. (If you are prompted about replacing the existing file, click Replace. You may not get this prompt.)

That should be it. You should now simply be able to unplug from iTunes, launch the GO app, and see the channels if you scroll left and right on the channel screen. I didn't need to connect it to my phantom to see the channels on any of the three times I have done this. You do of course need to be connected to your phantom to select the channels when you are in custom. Reminder that auto does not use the added channels, only the stock channels.

If it didnt work, check in iTunes DJI GO Documents. If you see a file with an .rar extension, it means that you didn't follow the directions. Start over and be sure to unzip the downloaded .rar file as noted.

If when you try to add the file you get a dialog box saying, "could not be copied because you do not have permission," it means that you did not follow the directions. Start over and be sure to unlock your iPad as noted.

Good luck sir.
I did your process and it worked. Then I found out that there was a new app. Will I lose my new channels?

Reactions: DrJoe
I did your process and it worked. Then I found out that there was a new app. Will I lose my new channels?
I'm glad it worked for you. I did see that someone in another thread noted that it still works with this week's new app. I haven't updated to the new app yet, so I dont know if you'll need to do the hack install again or not. If yes, its easy as you have seen. Cheers!

Reactions: JoBe
I'm glad it worked for you. I did see that someone in another thread noted that it still works with this week's new app. I haven't updated to the new app yet, so I dont know if you'll need to do the hack install again or not. If yes, its easy as you have seen. Cheers!
That's true. It was very easy with your instructions. Thanks again oso.

Reactions: Oso
Hack still works on the latest version. Not sure if its worth trying.

It my opinion....yes!
In a city, gives you more chances to found a channel free of interferences.

I still use it in Auto.

Now the question becomes will DJI somehow disable this hack in a future update? I guess if you never want additional features you can stay put but I'm sure one would want upcoming updates. Why in the world would DJI limit the video to 8 channels if 24 more are available? Maybe to limit urban out of sight flying?

Because it is illegal to use in the US without a Ham radio lisence. I believe the fcc went to Dji and limited their channels.

Installed and tested this last night had quite a head wind only got out 10,500ft but hit 55mph on the way home. Honestly without the mod I can frequently get out to 4 miles. I have 2 p3s now and have had 5 in total and they all reach this distance. My controller is connected to 9dbi wifi antennas on my roof with 3 watt boosters and hdmi out to a big screen. I think ultimately dji will be pressured and we all will start to see our range decreased with future firmware. Problem is government will have the monopoly on spy tech with its warrantless line tapping and nsa spying. So enjoy it while you can. Mean while select insiders and corporations will be sending drones where ever they want.
Shhhhhh.....keep enjoying

Is flying long distance not a risk to others?

I also downloaded the .rar file, expanded it, but couldn't find the .DJI.configs file anywhere. I'm using terminal to view all the hidden files and can see other hidden files, but not the one I want.

Anyone have any suggestions. I'm on a MAC and am using a Nexus 7 II with my DJI stuff.

I'm not getting any video and wanted to try the 32 channel hack before updating the FW. I'm presently at 1.3.20.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

I also downloaded the .rar file, expanded it, but couldn't find the .DJI.configs file anywhere. I'm using terminal to view all the hidden files and can see other hidden files, but not the one I want.

Anyone have any suggestions. I'm on a MAC and am using a Nexus 7 II with my DJI stuff.

I'm not getting any video and wanted to try the 32 channel hack before updating the FW. I'm presently at 1.3.20.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

Nevermind. I found it. In case anyone else has this problem on a MAC using RAR: go to Applications>"RAR extractor free.app". Double click on the app and it opens up to give you choices on where the extracted file(s) are put. You can choose some defaults, or select whichever directory you want. Now I know where to look for the extracted .DJI.configs file and I found it. Be sure you've enabled Finder to show hidden files. You can show hidden files by going to a terminal window and entering the following two lines, one at a time, at the prompt.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Be careful using the terminal window because you can do some permanent damage.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

Does this still work with 2.4.3?

Nevermind. I found it. In case anyone else has this problem on a MAC using RAR: go to Applications>"RAR extractor free.app". Double click on the app and it opens up to give you choices on where the extracted file(s) are put. You can choose some defaults, or select whichever directory you want. Now I know where to look for the extracted .DJI.configs file and I found it. Be sure you've enabled Finder to show hidden files. You can show hidden files by going to a terminal window and entering the following two lines, one at a time, at the prompt.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Be careful using the terminal window because you can do some permanent damage.

Thanks,

Kevin H.
I have Windows 10 running on my MacBook Pro and had no issues whatsoever with that hidden file or the RAR.
;):D:rolleyes:

So being that these channels are for video, this would not affect the flyaway issues some people experienced, correct?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl